No announcement yet.

College Football 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigDog, why is the investigation focusing on MSU when Newton isn't playing for them? They obviously didn't pay him. If this is all true and Newton's father "shopped" him, then shouldn't Auburn be the one under the microscope?
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigDog View Post
      As far as the National Championship picture I say Oregon and Auburn. This includes a 1 loss Auburn if they lose in the Iron Bowl. TCU's schedule is OK, but Smurf Potato U's schedule is crap. I know Boise can not help their conference schedule but I am not impressed with how they are scheduling non-conference games. They want all sorts of money and then 2 home games for 1 away game. I am also not impressed by them scheduling Ole Miss and Michigan State when they turned down a 2 for 1 with Nebraska and $800,000. Notice they want to schedule a traditionally low SEC school at a neutral site for a ton of cash and a 2 for 1 against a normally mid-pack Big 10 school for $1.2 mil. I am sorry they can not have it both ways. They can either schedule like one of the big boys or they can continue to try to schedule like a 1aa school and get treated accordingly by strength of schedule. I have also had enough with ESPN pushing Boise, and that is why I have taken to calling them Smurf Potato U.

As far as the Cam Newton stuff, there is some very smelly stuff going on. The stuff with the recruiting happened in December of last year. The SEC and the NCAA started investigating in July. Auburn asked the NCAA is Newton was eligible before the season started and was told yes. I really think this story is being pushed by ESPN to tighten up the Heisman Trophy race, because if you look at it by stats Newton has ran away with it.
      So basically BSU would not catch a break from you. You'd rather they schedule one super power team than two teams that play in power conferences. Scheduling Nebraska and then playing their normal conference is not going to improve their lot. However,scheduling two teams from power conferences and then playing their conference will help them gain more cred with the polls.
      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• So that yo'll know after watching Auburn's comeback this weekend I now have more respect for the team. Oregon and TCU still looking good.
        All warfare is based on deception.
        Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• Wisconin - 83 points.
          Bucky Badger - 573 pushups.

Here's 83 of them

Comment

• It is not too bad on a cold day to stay warm by doing that many push ups, but on a hot day I can only imagine how uncomfortable that would be.
            "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
            -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• 573?! Outch!!!!

Comment

• @ Legate For BSU to catch a break from me they would have to schedule at least 3 teams from major conferences and one of those a top team. I am sorry their regular conference schedule is just too weak overall for me. As far as scheduling such, I have seen Troy University do it before, although for different reasons. As a matter of fact Troy has both Oklahoma State and S. Carolina scheduled this year.

@ R. Evans Mississippi State is where the alleged violations took place. They reported these to the SEC to keep from being in violation themselves. So far there is no evidence that Auburn paid anything for him. This is another thing that strikes me about this case. When he was at Florida Newton played late in a couple of games, and did not do anything really remarkable. He did lead the Junior College he went to to a national title, but again I don't see that being enough for a booster to cough up close to 200 grand over. As a matter of fact I don't think I have ever heard of a player getting anywhere near that kind of money in a pay-for-play deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                  @ Legate For BSU to catch a break from me they would have to schedule at least 3 teams from major conferences and one of those a top team. I am sorry their regular conference schedule is just too weak overall for me. As far as scheduling such, I have seen Troy University do it before, although for different reasons. As a matter of fact Troy has both Oklahoma State and S. Carolina scheduled this year.
                  I agree for the most part. Its how Miami was able to rise up in the 80s. They didn't insist on home and homes with teams like Michigan. They just went out and played.

That said, its a bit tougher for a school like Boise that is in a conference. Miami was independent, so it had greater flexibility.

But that said to my that said, if, in fact, the Nebraska deal of a 2 for one was on the table, Boise should have grabbed it.

But that said to my that said to my that said, Boise might well be the best team in the country. If, in fact, that is the consensus of those who really watch the games (and not just the casual Coaches Poll voter who doesn't), they deserve to play for the title, notwithstanding their competition might not have been as great.

Now, I'm not convinced Boise is the best team in the country. But I'm not convinced they are not. As such, as of now, I'd defer to the tougher schedule. But if Auburn loses to a 2 loss Bama team (and they could be a 3 loss team had Arkansas played better in the 4th quarter), I would not be inclined to see Auburn get the nod over an undefeated Boise. As for LSU - I'm not convinced. The defense looks good. The offense isn't so great. I'd put Boise ahead of them based on what I've seen. If Oregon loses, they're out as far as I'm concerned.

@ R. Evans Mississippi State is where the alleged violations took place. They reported these to the SEC to keep from being in violation themselves. So far there is no evidence that Auburn paid anything for him. This is another thing that strikes me about this case. When he was at Florida Newton played late in a couple of games, and did not do anything really remarkable. He did lead the Junior College he went to to a national title, but again I don't see that being enough for a booster to cough up close to 200 grand over. As a matter of fact I don't think I have ever heard of a player getting anywhere near that kind of money in a pay-for-play deal.
                  I can't keep track of how sanctions work. Assume Auburn had nothing to do with it, but there was a violation in connection with his recruiting. In that case, wouldn't Newton be considered ineligible? And if so, would Auburn be forced to vacate their wins?

Comment

• Ibis, you are correct. Auburn would forfeit all games that he played in whether Auburn knew about his assumed wrong doings or not. The penalty follows the student where ever he/she goes and if another school plays he/she they are breaking the rules as well.
                    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."

Comment

• How about those Huskies!?
                      They should have senior day more often. LOL!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
                        How about those Huskies!?
                        They should have senior day more often. LOL!
                        They played very well. I'm more shocked by UCLA. How do you not turn that into recruiting gold? Bringing an 18 year kid onto that campus should be pretty easy, but they haven't been able to land any BIG time recruits for some time now. Recruiting is the life blood of a program = you are only as good as the talent/character you recruit.

Comment

• I would somewhat agree with your assessment Ibis with regards to a 1 loss Auburn in the National Championship with the stipulation that I would put them in if they lost close to 'Bama and handled S. Carolina. The Iron Bowl is a far bigger and tougher game than Boise will have played all year. It is game that after having lived for 20 years just outside of Auburn that I can say with confidence that the record of the teams going in means absolutely nothing. These two teams hate each other with a level that is hard to grasp without experiencing it. A mixed marriage in this state is of fans between both schools and I have seen these people go to separate locations just to watch the game on tv.

I think Twitter3 has said he is a coach so he would have the best understanding of the rules here. My understanding is it depends on whether the player had knowledge of the solicitation. I almost think the NCAA has to declare Newton not guilty. I say this not because I am an SEC fan or close to Auburn. I say this because if they don't, it becomes too easy to have some boosters come in contact with a recruit and if said recruit goes elsewhere claim that they were soliciting benefits on his behalf. I have a sneaking suspicion that this may even be the actual case here. Notice that time line I posted. The solicitation allegedly happened in November of last year. MSU keeps recruiting Newton until he signs with Auburn in late December. In January MSU reports it so they are not in violation by having knowledge of an unreported violation. And on top of that when Auburn starts getting close to undefeated a few weeks ago someone talks to ESPN bringing this investigation out into the limelight. Again I say something stinks with the whole thing, never mind that the principle individuals involved on the MSU side of the story keep changing their story every few days.

Comment

• I agree BigDog - the timing of the whole thing is very bad. It makes MSU look like a bride who was left at the alter and now she is out for 'blood'. Wonder if the coaching staff there 'OK'd' the leak or if it were upset boosters? Remember, the head coach was at Florida where Newton was accused of cheating on exams and stealing a lap top.

Anyway, I also agree that the Iron Bowl is one of the country's most heated rivalry. I also like the Egg Bowl (I am a huge Rebel...uh I mean bear fan) - Pure Old Fashioned Hate (Georgia v. Georgia Tech) - and not to be overlooked is our hatred of the Gophers (Paul Bunyon's Axe).

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                              I agree BigDog - the timing of the whole thing is very bad. It makes MSU look like a bride who was left at the alter and now she is out for 'blood'. Wonder if the coaching staff there 'OK'd' the leak or if it were upset boosters? Remember, the head coach was at Florida where Newton was accused of cheating on exams and stealing a lap top.

Anyway, I also agree that the Iron Bowl is one of the country's most heated rivalry. I also like the Egg Bowl (I am a huge Rebel...uh I mean bear fan) - Pure Old Fashioned Hate (Georgia v. Georgia Tech) - and not to be overlooked is our hatred of the Gophers (Paul Bunyon's Axe).
                              Except that MSU reported this in January - everyone kept it quiet. I choose to blame on Florida for the story breaking. I have no evidence, but I like to blame the Gators for everything. They are evil.

By the way, Boise just agreed to open the 2011 season in the Georgia Dome against Georgia, and then the 2014 season against Ole Miss in the same location.

Comment

• Since we seem to be on the subject of heated rivalries, I give you:

And the fact that ANN ARBOR IS A *****!

In all seriousness, this year's game just might actually be a game. Michigan can score on almost anybody and OSU has trouble with quarterbacks that can run like Denard Robinson can. But then again, Michigan can't stop anybody. Literally cannot stop anybody. Their defense just might be the worst at a big-time program that I'ver ever seen. Horrendous. But that's a good thing for the Buckeyes.

Still I look for Tressel to run his record against Michigan to 9-1 which is really sweet since he took over after the nightmarish John Cooper years in which the Bucks went 2-11-1. Just a bad time to be an OSU fan. But overall the series has been fairly close since it was Schembechler versus Hayes and so on.

Hayes vs. Bo 4-5-1
                                Bruce vs. Bo 5-4-0
                                Cooper vs. Mich 2-11-1
                                Tressel vs. Mich 8-1

Total- 19-21-2 is about as close as you can get over a 42 year span. And since I've been alive the record is 23-22-2. Now that's a rivalry.
                                Last edited by R. Evans; 20 Nov 10, 09:37.
                                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X