Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2010

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alright...which games are you watching this weekend?

    I'm not a PAC-10 guy. That said, I will be interested in seeing if Oregon can win on the road. I'm sure Boise and TCU will be more interested than me.

    Back in my area...Michigan St. at Iowa will be a huge game in helping to determine who wins the Big 10 (12). Not a fan of either team, but since MSU beat my Badgers I will have to cheer for Iowa - besides then we will all have at least one loss.
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

    Comment


    • I might as well go with this week.

      Tuesday: La. Tech @ Boise St.
      Thursday: Florida St. @ N.C. St.
      Friday: West Virginia @ Connecticut
      Saturday:12:00 Tennessee @ S. Carolina with Miami @ Virginia on flashback
      3:30The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party
      aka Florida vs Georgia with Michigan State @ Iowa on flashback
      I will probably check in on the Missouri @ Nebraska game some
      6:00 Auburn @ Ole Miss
      7:00 Stanford @ Washington for flashback of Auburn Game
      8:00 Oregon @ USC if I can get it. If not Michigan @ Penn State.
      I suspect being in the East I will get stuck with Ohio St. @ Minnesota which I have no idea why that is on tv.
      9:15 Colorado @ Oklahoma probably a flashback depending on what is happening in the 8:00 games and something to finish out the night with.

      Flashback refers to the previous channel function on our remote. Using this the channels change instantly, if you put in the number it takes a few seconds which can be annoying when watching multiple games. This really irks me as I would like to watch the Fla/Ga, MSU/Iowa, and Mizzou/Ok games. I normally watch two games at once and when a play is run in one flash-over to the other and catch a play on it, unless the plays are happening at the same time. If that is the case I will stick where the best action or my interest lies. In addition to the listed games I will probably check in on the div 1AA game at 12 on Sports South, (could be VMI @ Army) and check out some of the Nascar Nationwide series at Talledega.

      As far as outcomes, I don't see Tennessee winning, which is fine by me. Naturally I want Georgia to win over Florida. If they do it will be the first time they have beat Florida and Tennessee in the same year since I think '93, I do know it has been far to long. I want Michigan St. to win over Iowa. I have been impressed with them this year. While they have not won any games with an impressive margin, when the dust has settled they have been the victor. I think they will have to win out in the Big 10 or will fall behind Wisconsin and Ohio State. I know Twitter3 and R. Evans would like to this, but sorry guys I would like to see MSU get some rewards for their season this year. Besides my girlfriend's father is from Michigan and he likes MSU. The Mizzou, Nebraska is a bit tougher for me. I kinda like Mizzou getting to the Big 12 championship game against perhaps Baylor just to slap some of the "Jersey Love" in the face. Yet at the same time the aforementioned more-or-less father-in-law worked at Nebraska and got his Master's there. I hope Oregon takes USC out behind the woodshed. I am very tired of the media's love affair with USC. Oklahoma losing again to Colorado (highly unlikely) would not hurt my feelings either. And lastly I want Auburn to beat Ole Miss. Not just because of the National Championship implications for Auburn and latter Alabama if they win the Iron Bowl, but because Georgia used to play Ole Miss late in the year and they loved to beat Georgia when they were not even bowl eligible just to mess up Georgia.

      What I find amusing is that I will watch this much College Football but I do not watch the pros at all. I will watch div II and div III games sometimes and even the occasional High School game, but for some reason I just can not stand to watch the pros. I find them rather pedestrian and boring.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BigDog View Post
        I might as well go with this week.

        Tuesday: La. Tech @ Boise St.
        Thursday: Florida St. @ N.C. St.
        Friday: West Virginia @ Connecticut
        Saturday:12:00 Tennessee @ S. Carolina with Miami @ Virginia on flashback
        3:30The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party
        aka Florida vs Georgia with Michigan State @ Iowa on flashback
        I will probably check in on the Missouri @ Nebraska game some
        6:00 Auburn @ Ole Miss
        7:00 Stanford @ Washington for flashback of Auburn Game
        8:00 Oregon @ USC if I can get it. If not Michigan @ Penn State.
        I suspect being in the East I will get stuck with Ohio St. @ Minnesota which I have no idea why that is on tv.
        9:15 Colorado @ Oklahoma probably a flashback depending on what is happening in the 8:00 games and something to finish out the night with.

        Flashback refers to the previous channel function on our remote. Using this the channels change instantly, if you put in the number it takes a few seconds which can be annoying when watching multiple games. This really irks me as I would like to watch the Fla/Ga, MSU/Iowa, and Mizzou/Ok games. I normally watch two games at once and when a play is run in one flash-over to the other and catch a play on it, unless the plays are happening at the same time. If that is the case I will stick where the best action or my interest lies. In addition to the listed games I will probably check in on the div 1AA game at 12 on Sports South, (could be VMI @ Army) and check out some of the Nascar Nationwide series at Talledega.

        As far as outcomes, I don't see Tennessee winning, which is fine by me. Naturally I want Georgia to win over Florida. If they do it will be the first time they have beat Florida and Tennessee in the same year since I think '93, I do know it has been far to long. I want Michigan St. to win over Iowa. I have been impressed with them this year. While they have not won any games with an impressive margin, when the dust has settled they have been the victor. I think they will have to win out in the Big 10 or will fall behind Wisconsin and Ohio State. I know Twitter3 and R. Evans would like to this, but sorry guys I would like to see MSU get some rewards for their season this year. Besides my girlfriend's father is from Michigan and he likes MSU. The Mizzou, Nebraska is a bit tougher for me. I kinda like Mizzou getting to the Big 12 championship game against perhaps Baylor just to slap some of the "Jersey Love" in the face. Yet at the same time the aforementioned more-or-less father-in-law worked at Nebraska and got his Master's there. I hope Oregon takes USC out behind the woodshed. I am very tired of the media's love affair with USC. Oklahoma losing again to Colorado (highly unlikely) would not hurt my feelings either. And lastly I want Auburn to beat Ole Miss. Not just because of the National Championship implications for Auburn and latter Alabama if they win the Iron Bowl, but because Georgia used to play Ole Miss late in the year and they loved to beat Georgia when they were not even bowl eligible just to mess up Georgia.

        What I find amusing is that I will watch this much College Football but I do not watch the pros at all. I will watch div II and div III games sometimes and even the occasional High School game, but for some reason I just can not stand to watch the pros. I find them rather pedestrian and boring.
        So I'm assuming you won't be out raking leaves until Sunday?

        BTW, what's "Jersey love?" I hope it doesn't have anything to do with this:

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BigDog View Post
          I might as well go with this week.


          What I find amusing is that I will watch this much College Football but I do not watch the pros at all. I will watch div II and div III games sometimes and even the occasional High School game, but for some reason I just can not stand to watch the pros. I find them rather pedestrian and boring.
          I agree with you. I would much rather watch college football than the pros. I like college anything (although I do love pro baseball and hockey), but that is for another thread.
          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

          Comment


          • "Jersey Love"

            That is my term for the media's preoccupation and hype about certain programs. Generally to be in this category you have to have been a "traditional" power but this is not always the case. Notre Dame gets tons of it and they have not been really good since the 80s. The Florida teams (well the big 3) get it some but that is based on more recent performances.

            I will use Florida as an example. Look at their pre-season and early rankings. I ask what was this based on? Florida lost many of its key players last year, sure they have been doing well lately, but again it was obvious to anyone that cared to look that the cupboard was rather empty in Gainesville. Their on field performance this year has shown the truth of it. Take USC, they get tons of it. USC has lost to Washington and Stanford. They barely beat Virginia, but suddenly they beat Cal (another recipient of "Jersey Love") and they are back to unbeatable powerhouse status.

            Here is perhaps a better example for you Ibis, being a Miami fan. Remember how when Miami was up and coming it was an example of just how fine of football programs Nebraska, Notre Dame or Texas were when they blew out somebody 60 something to whatever. Yet when Miami put up such scores on those opponents it was an affront to everything college football stood for. At that times those programs were recipients of my so called "Jersey Love" and Miami was not.

            Want more. Go look at the standings page at ESPN. In the big 10 standings Ohio State is ranked 2nd and Wisconsin is ranked 3rd. Both have the same conference records and both have the same non-conference records. The difference is Ohio State is consider a traditional power by the media and Wisconsin is not. Never mind that Wisconsin beat Ohio State on the football field.

            This is one reason Brent Musberger gets on my nerves so much as an announcer. He is very much a practitioner of "Jersey Love" and will damn near sound like they more traditional power's radio announcer than an unbiased source. It is really amusing when two traditional powers play when Brent calls the game and he will start out loving one but when they fall behind he gets solidly behind the one that is ahead.
            Last edited by BigDog; 29 Oct 10, 18:26.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by BigDog View Post
              "Jersey Love"



              This is one reason Brent Musberger gets on my nerves so much as an announcer. He is very much a practitioner of "Jersey Love" and will damn near sound like they more traditional power's radio announcer than an unbiased source. It is really amusing when two traditional powers play when Brent calls the game and he will start out loving one but when they fall behind he gets solidly behind the one that is ahead.
              Brent Musberger is a "flavor of the month" butt smoocher. The only time I will watch the primetime game is if it is someone I REALLY want to see, because I cannot stand his obvious favoritism.
              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
              -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

              Comment


              • Oregon looked good tonight. Missouri and Mich State lost big.
                My guess is whoever wins the Auburn-Alabama game will represent the SEC West in the SEC championship game, and whoever wins S. Carolina versus Florida will represent the SEC East. I think Auburn or Bama beats both of those teams on a neutral field. However, those 2 games makes it much easier for Auburn to lose.
                I don't see Oregon losing in the regular season, and I don't see Boise State losing either.
                Having watched Oregon and Auburn, I think Oregon has the best offense in the nation, however their defense isn't great.
                I'm sure Ibis remembers when UCLA had an awesome offense back in 1998 and came in undefeated and played at Miami. UCLA didn't have a defense and lost to Miami or else they would have been in the national championship game against Tennessee.

                Comment


                • I'm sure Ibis remembers when a certain Northwest Pac-10 school went to Miami and snapped their big streak.
                  If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

                  Comment


                  • I'm sure Ibis remembers when Miami had a college football team worthy of wearing the U on its helmets.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Legate View Post
                      I'm sure Ibis remembers when a certain Northwest Pac-10 school went to Miami and snapped their big streak.
                      That loss in 93 didn't hurt as bad as if it had happened a year or two before. The program was already in decline at the point. Still 58 games in a row (at home).

                      The loss at Washington in 1999 (Dorsey's freshman year) was much worse.

                      Comment


                      • Tough week. PITT wins again, but the 'eers and my ROCK! both lose.
                        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

                        Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

                        Comment


                        • BigDog,

                          I have no idea why the OSU/Minnesota game was on ABC at 8pm. A mismatch from the world "Go." I'm a Buckeye fan and complained all week that the game should've been on at noon on the Big 10 Network. Not primetime ABC. That game was only of interest to OSU/Minnesota fans and no one else. ABC/ESPN? What were they thinking?
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                          Comment


                          • This year I'm not sure on who to put the money anymore.
                            TCU going to Rice Field will be the game to watch this coming weekend.
                            All warfare is based on deception.
                            Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans


                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                              That loss in 93 didn't hurt as bad as if it had happened a year or two before. The program was already in decline at the point. Still 58 games in a row (at home).

                              The loss at Washington in 1999 (Dorsey's freshman year) was much worse.
                              If it's any consolation my boys are gonna be brutalised on Saturday.
                              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

                              Comment


                              • Latest BCS poll is out...any hope for TCU and/or Boise St? It is looking more likely that they will be matched up again as a side show to 'the big boys'.

                                Who do you have in the mythical national championship game?

                                My vote as of today = Oregon vs. Winner of Auburn/LSU game.
                                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                                -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X