No announcement yet.

College Football 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it won't be Ohio State in the BCS title game. They crapped the bed big-time Sat. night against Wisconsin.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• To be honest, I was kinda expecting that one to happen. I know Ohio State is a good football program but that game away had all the fealing it would go Wiscosin's way.
      That been said, I'm almost sure that all the BCS conference teams will loose at least one game. I'm not buying the Sooners, the Cowboys, the Spartans or any of the other. The Ducks will either loose in USC or at Oregon State. Auburn and LSU have to play each other and 'Bama! As for Missouri they still have to play the Sooners and than Nebraska and Texas Tech away back-to-back games.
      All warfare is based on deception.
      Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• JoePa Is Losing It!

Hey, Penn State guys, what's up with JoePa? He seems to be getting more senile by the minute:

And if it's really serious about it, Joe Paterno has an idea from his own playing days at Brown, right after the war (Second World, that is, not Civil). If you want players to stop leading with their heads, Paterno told reporters during Tuesday's Big Ten conference call, lose the facemasks already:

"I've been saying for years, we should get rid of the facemask. ... It's a weapon, guys are fearless."
        http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf-278329

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
          What do you fellows think about the Sooners are they realy the best team out there?
          Wouldn't it be funny if the only 2 teams that ended with a perfect season would be Boise State and either TCU or Utah?
          Nope I don't think Oklahoma is the best team out there and I don't think they will be on top of the strength of schedule charts when the season is over.

As far as Boise and TCU having perfect seasons that does not impress me that much. A quick reminder of the Hawaii team that was perfect going into the Sugar Bowl a few years back that got blasted by Georgia. I put much more stock in strength of schedule and as I said in an earlier post I don't mind seeing a team lose to a good team. I also think this will be the last year of the "BCS Busters". I noticed at the BCS web site that they are thinking of adding a 7th Automatic Qualifying conference. I think that is supposed to possibly happen in 2012 but I think it will be quietly (somewhat) announced this year. Look at the conference re-alignments, The power teams from the WAC are joining the MWC. If the BCS makes the MWC an AQ conference it virtually will eliminate any chance from a non-AQ team even being in the discussion. The BCS does not like it when this goes on as talk gets started about a play-off and that is the last thing that the powers that be want in division 1A.

Comment

• One to watch this week

The "Tiger Bowl" is this week with LSU at Auburn, at 3:30 on CBS. This one to not miss. Not because Auburn and LSU are ranked, not because of the National Title implications, no the reason to watch is because something strange seems to happen in this games. This match-up can be said to be "Earth-shaking" or "Barn Burning" and that be the LITERAL TRUTH! Check out some of these past examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn%...otball_rivalry

With this and the Wisconsin vs Iowa game on at the same time my remote will be getting a heavy workout Saturday.

Comment

• As if it wasn't bad enough to have to suffer through another mediocre football season, the powers that be have decided to make it more difficult to tailgate at Canes games.

All cars will be directed to spots in the lot relevant to their parking privileges and fans can expect a more efficient and organized drive into the stadium and to your specific lot. Groups of fans that want to congegrate together for tailgating purposes will need to enter as a caravan of cars and/or plan to arrive at the stadium at the same time.
              http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor...102010aae.html

So now groups can't park next to each other unless they arrive at exactly the same time. Our group consists of people arriving from all over Dade and Broward. Its going to kill the tailgate since different people bring different essentials (the grill, the tents, the food, etc.) and if we want to tailgate as we have for years, we'll have to carry the stuff across the parking lot (which could mean carrying the stuff a mile, over fences and possibly around canals depending on where the attendants put the cars). And then carry the stuff back before heading into the game or after the game

I might as well watch the games at home. In fact, thats exactly what I plan on doing if this policy stays in effect.
              Last edited by The Ibis; 22 Oct 10, 01:12.

Comment

• Just have to meet somewhere 'near' the stadium to caravan to the parking.
                (If you actually want to go into the game)

I went to the NC State/ECU game last weekend, tailgated awhile around my vehicle and then walked about 2 miles and met up with some friends from my hometown on the other side of the stadium. They had all the essentials:
                trailer with giant TV, beer and more beer, the sack throwing games, a group of college girls doing beer bongs nearby , and good company.

*We never made it into the stadium .
                SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

• Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                  Just have to meet somewhere 'near' the stadium to caravan to the parking.
                  (If you actually want to go into the game)

I went to the NC State/ECU game last weekend, tailgated awhile around my vehicle and then walked about 2 miles and met up with some friends from my hometown on the other side of the stadium. They had all the essentials:
                  trailer with giant TV, beer and more beer, the sack throwing games, a group of college girls doing beer bongs nearby , and good company.

*We never made it into the stadium .
                  Its not as easy as just meeting up before. Due to the location of the stadium, we'd have to meet up pretty far away and convoy up I-95 and then the Florida Turnpike. The traffic is always heavy so there is no guarantee the cars would arrive at the same time. But it gets worse. The way they handle admission into the lots is awful and even if two cars were next to each other in line, the attendants might well split them up or allow cars to insert themselves in between.

I heard from a friend this morning that the athletic department has been getting tons of complaints from season ticket holders. Since Miami has such lousy attendance, its possible the U doesn't want to upset the loyal fanbase and lose more people. So my fingers are crossed.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                    As if it wasn't bad enough to have to suffer through another mediocre football season, the powers that be have decided to make it more difficult to tailgate at Canes games.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor...102010aae.html

So now groups can't park next to each other unless they arrive at exactly the same time. Our group consists of people arriving from all over Dade and Broward. Its going to kill the tailgate since different people bring different essentials (the grill, the tents, the food, etc.) and if we want to tailgate as we have for years, we'll have to carry the stuff across the parking lot (which could mean carrying the stuff a mile, over fences and possibly around canals depending on where the attendants put the cars). And then carry the stuff back before heading into the game or after the game

I might as well watch the games at home. In fact, thats exactly what I plan on doing if this policy stays in effect.
                    That unquestionably takes the Stupid of the Day Award!

I hope the hell they didn't let business majors or alleged future traffic engineers figure that out!

I like the Steelers system, at least for season ticket holders. You can purchase parking passes in a designated lot. There is no guarantee you can be next to someone, but it cuts walks in that type of situation down to maybe 200 yards.

Regards,
                    Dennis
                    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

• That is a completely moronic decision by Miami, Ibis. Hopefully enough of yall that buy tickets and that go to the games can raise enough of a stink to make them see the light.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                        The "Tiger Bowl" is this week with LSU at Auburn, at 3:30 on CBS. This one to not miss. Not because Auburn and LSU are ranked, not because of the National Title implications, no the reason to watch is because something strange seems to happen in this games. This match-up can be said to be "Earth-shaking" or "Barn Burning" and that be the LITERAL TRUTH! Check out some of these past examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn%...otball_rivalry

With this and the Wisconsin vs Iowa game on at the same time my remote will be getting a heavy workout Saturday.

Good call BigDog. I watched the game and it was a great game. How about that run by Newton to put Auburn up 17-10. Wow!, this guy is fun to watch.
                        What was Miles thinking going for it with 3 timeouts in their own territory with lots of time left?

Comment

• 3rd week in a row the No. 1 team goes down to defeat. Missouri beats Oklahoma, not as easily as Wiconsin beat OSU or South Carolina beat Alabama, but still convincingly. This year is shaping up to be like 2007, no one seems to really want take charge. Boise State and TCU notwithstanding. Those two will probably go undefeated but without playing anyone other than a mediocre Virginia Tech and Oregon State. Oh well, if they are the only ones left standing, so be it.

Comment

• And now what #1 ranked team will loose next week? BCS #1 Auburn at Ole Miss, all other rankings #1 Oregon at USC or both?
                            Jim if the MWC does get into the BCS with BYU going independent and Utah moving to PAC10, I still think this conference won't get the same respect as other conferences. Sure TCU and Boise State would play each other and occasionaly San Diego State and Air Force can be challenging teams to play, but that's all they've going for them. Is it enough? Not to me.

Comment

• Cap I agree with your assessment to some extent. The MWC will be a stronger conference than the current WAC. Nevada and Fresno State are also moving to it as well. While these are not real powerhouses they are not exactly slouches either. I think for a shot at the National Championship game a MWC team would have to have some quality non-conference wins. That can be done with scheduling. Currently Boise St. is wanting to demand things in their scheduling negotiations that FCS schools get, yet at the same time they are wanting to be one of the big boys. They can not have it both ways. I have also found that their fans have very selective memories. They claim no SEC schools will play them, but they are actually 0 - 2 vs SEC schools (Arkansas and Georgia).

The thing with the MWC becoming an AQ conference is that its conference champion will go to a BCS game. Currently the MWC is ranked ahead of the Big East and in some stuff I have seen the ACC. I think the argument for this is more why should a TCU, Utah, or Boise St. be denied a chance to play in a BCS game when the Big East winner is. I was very disappointed last year when they paired Boise St and TCU off against each other. It proved nothing and only prevented a potential embarrassment for a perceived powerhouse. Florida took Cincinnati behind the woodshed, but that was OK because Florida was the defending National champs. If it had been TCU or Boise St. that had done that it would have been an outrage.

With the polls that are used in College Football it is still very much really a beauty contest. Observe the treatment that Missouri and Michigan St. have received in the polls. The powers that be are just licking their chops hopping that MSU looses Saturday and if they do I will bet you they will be ranked lower than Ohio St. or Wisconsin, never mind that they beat Wisconsin. It is all about perception, that is one reason Boise is being pushed so hard this year, it is based on what they did last year and a few years ago against Oklahoma. The same thing is happened with Iowa. Last year they got almost no respect. This year that is different, again because of last year.

As far as the number ones. I think Oregon beats the snot out of USC. USC is not that good this year but they get lots of "Jersey Love" (see above paragraph). Ole Miss loves to play spoiler so they may give Auburn a hard time, but I don't really see it happening for them. I think Auburn's biggest challenges will be against Georgia and Alabama. The Georgia game is in Auburn and since the game was moved to the schools from a neutral site in 1958 the away team record is 29-16-2. The Iron Bowl (Auburn vs Alabama) is very difficult to predict. They do not like each other at all and both love to derail the other teams season.

Comment

• Jim, I just love the way you talk football.
                                Nice and clear. Thanks for your insight.
                                I'm sad that ESPN America is trying to balance saturday with 3 sports, college football, baseball and hockey. I'm ok with the later 2 but I loved it when I had a triple broadcast of college football...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X