Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    Hopefully not the Buckeyes.
    Should be a good game. I only hope that we can sport a decent pass defense and then keep Prior in the middle of the field if he scrambles.
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Originally posted by BigDog View Post
      I have a question for our Big 10 fans on here. What do you guys think about the addition of Nebraska and the expansion of the Big 10 to 12 teams and the addition of a Championship game?
      I like it. It seems Nebraska is back and that can only mean good things for the Big Ten on the national stage. I felt we were long overdue for a championship game. I am not overly thrilled with how they divided the two divisions, but at least the major rival games will still be played.
      "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
        I like it. It seems Nebraska is back and that can only mean good things for the Big Ten on the national stage. I felt we were long overdue for a championship game. I am not overly thrilled with how they divided the two divisions, but at least the major rival games will still be played.
        Yeah, the divisions suck! They should've gone with straight geograpy.

The Divisions I would've made:

East
        Michigan
        Michigan St.
        Indiana
        Purdue
        Ohio State
        Penn State

West
        Illinois
        Northwestern
        Wisconsin
        Minnesota
        Iowa
        Nebraska

Seems pretty even to me. Three traditional powers in each division and no chance for 2 OSU/Michigan games. The fact that they could play twice in a row is ridiculous!
        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Wiscosin away ain't a walk in the park. This will be a nice one to watch.
          All warfare is based on deception.
          Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap. Teancum View Post
            Wiscosin away ain't a walk in the park. This will be a nice one to watch.
            No it won't. The Buckeyes have had problems in Madison before. I'm hoping this isn't one of those years.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
              Yeah, the divisions suck! They should've gone with straight geograpy.

The Divisions I would've made:

East
              Michigan
              Michigan St.
              Indiana
              Purdue
              Ohio State
              Penn State

West
              Illinois
              Northwestern
              Wisconsin
              Minnesota
              Iowa
              Nebraska

Seems pretty even to me. Three traditional powers in each division and no chance for 2 OSU/Michigan games. The fact that they could play twice in a row is ridiculous!
              You and I have a lot of common sense - I'm guessing the Big Ten higher ups forgot theirs' at home that day. That is exactly how they should have been drawn up. Oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                You and I have a lot of common sense - I'm guessing the Big Ten higher ups forgot theirs' at home that day. That is exactly how they should have been drawn up. Oh well.
                Thanks! And when they add West Virginia (East Division in my scenario) and Missouri (West), we'll be the Big 14 and a strong conference. Those are my next 2 candidates for expansion and they make the most sense. Both would bring decent football and strong basketball programs to the mix.

I'm wondering whether of not Nebraska would've jumped conferences if the Big 12 hadn't hosed them out of playing Oklahoma every year. And how much influence did Tom Osbourne have on the move?

Comment

• Speaking as an outsider looking in the division split in the Big 10, (Big North?) looks good to me. I see 3 fairly strong teams in each division. It looks like they did do the right thing and follow the SEC model of keeping one cross-division game for traditional rivalries. I would also hope they adopt some of the SEC rules for tie-breaker decisions within the divisions. Doing so would avoid the joke that happened in the Big 12. I am not saying this because I am an SEC fan but because I think the SEC managed to get a lot of the 12 game format right.

I really think the addition of Nebraska and the new format will take the Big 10 to the next level, not like they are a slouch conference now. This might surprise some of yall, since I am an SEC guy, but I rate the Big 10 as currently the second best conference going. Yall play solid football and actually know what a defense is, unlike some other conferences. My reason for the stated improvement are twofold. Nebraska obviously is a quality program that will bring in some solid competition much like the addition of Penn State did. The second is something I observed after the SEC went to the twelve team format. Now for teams with one conference loss the season is not automatically over and there is very much something still left to fight for. It definitely stiffens up the mid-conference level teams, again creating more competition.

I think it will grow on you guys, I know it did on me. I was very much against it when the SEC did it as I saw the Championship Game as just another chance for teams to eliminate each other. Since then I have changed my mind and would much rather see a team with one loss to a quality opponent playing in a big game over a team with a bunch of easy victories. I really disagree with R. Evans and the other OSU guys I have seen online that say the Championship game makes the regular season irrelevant. The regular season is very relevant. How do you think you get to the Championship?

Just my $.02 as I know I am looking forward to Nebraska playing in the big 10 nest year.

Comment

• Looks like Alabama and Michigan will be playing in a season opener in Cowboys Stadium September 1, 2012.

A big tip of the hat to both programs.

Comment

• Sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                        Speaking as an outsider looking in the division split in the Big 10, (Big North?) looks good to me. I see 3 fairly strong teams in each division. It looks like they did do the right thing and follow the SEC model of keeping one cross-division game for traditional rivalries. I would also hope they adopt some of the SEC rules for tie-breaker decisions within the divisions. Doing so would avoid the joke that happened in the Big 12. I am not saying this because I am an SEC fan but because I think the SEC managed to get a lot of the 12 game format right.

I really think the addition of Nebraska and the new format will take the Big 10 to the next level, not like they are a slouch conference now. This might surprise some of yall, since I am an SEC guy, but I rate the Big 10 as currently the second best conference going. Yall play solid football and actually know what a defense is, unlike some other conferences. My reason for the stated improvement are twofold. Nebraska obviously is a quality program that will bring in some solid competition much like the addition of Penn State did. The second is something I observed after the SEC went to the twelve team format. Now for teams with one conference loss the season is not automatically over and there is very much something still left to fight for. It definitely stiffens up the mid-conference level teams, again creating more competition.

I think it will grow on you guys, I know it did on me. I was very much against it when the SEC did it as I saw the Championship Game as just another chance for teams to eliminate each other. Since then I have changed my mind and would much rather see a team with one loss to a quality opponent playing in a big game over a team with a bunch of easy victories. I really disagree with R. Evans and the other OSU guys I have seen online that say the Championship game makes the regular season irrelevant. The regular season is very relevant. How do you think you get to the Championship?

Just my $.02 as I know I am looking forward to Nebraska playing in the big 10 nest year.
                        I agree with your comments. I like the idea of having a championship game and think this will help make the Big Ten more relevant nationally. I just wish they would have gone geographical in their divisions - like the SEC, Big 12, and soon even the PAC-10.

Comment

• Pitt and the Mounties both win! Joe Paterno is one step closer to being mummified along the Happy Valley sidelines!

Sadly, THE ROCK! drops to 5-2 after being beaten by Clarion.
                          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

• What do you fellows think about the Sooners are they realy the best team out there?
                            Wouldn't it be funny if the only 2 teams that ended with a perfect season would be Boise State and either TCU or Utah?

Comment

What do you fellows think about the Sooners are they realy the best team out there?
                              Wouldn't it be funny if the only 2 teams that ended with a perfect season would be Boise State and either TCU or Utah?
                              All three would be behind a 1 loss SEC team I think in the end, but maybe Boise could make the Championship game if there is only one major school with 1 loss.
                              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

What do you fellows think about the Sooners are they realy the best team out there?
                                I just don't see Boise State's schedule doing them any favors in the computers. They need Nevada to be highly ranked and then pound them to have a shot. The human polls will tend to favor a school from a big time conference - even with one loss. The other schools in the BCS poll all have tougher conference schedules + a conference championship game to tilt things in their favor. TCU - maybe they might make it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X