Is it just me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me...

Is it just me, or does anyone else give a rat's a** if and when the great A-Rod hits his 500th home-run? I may be dating myself, but the steroid era has basically ruined the value any records from previous eras. I appreciate the sad, but true statement, that it's only cheating if you get caught. By the way, I apologize to members residing on the rest of the planet who have no idea what I am talking about.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Originally posted by sherlock View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else give a rat's a** if and when the great A-Rod hits his 500th home-run? I may be dating myself, but the steroid era has basically ruined the value any records from previous eras. I appreciate the sad, but true statement, that it's only cheating if you get caught. By the way, I apologize to members residing on the rest of the planet who have no idea what I am talking about.
    I agree in full. At least to me, it is obvious that A-Rod has been a user of anything he could get his hands on since he started in Seattle.

I think that all of those caught using should have their stats erased. I know there is an argument that the pitcher's were using as well, so it was just as hard to hit a home run. But the numbers sure have dropped since they instituted testing...
    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by sherlock View Post
      A-Rod is chasing his 600th not 500th homer.

I don't think the records set by the users should be erased. I don't have any objection to the addition of asterisks to said records.
      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Yeah, it's number 600. I don't advocate dropping the numbers, because we still can't be sure they aren't artificially inflated by more sophisticated forms of cheating, like HGH.

Asterisks for the cheaters accomplishments is enough for me......as long as they remove the one next to Roger Maris' name! They damn sure wouldn't have done that to the much more popular Mantle if he had won that contest!

Regards,
        Dennis
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
          Yeah, it's number 600. I don't advocate dropping the numbers, because we still can't be sure they aren't artificially inflated by more sophisticated forms of cheating, like HGH.

Asterisks for the cheaters accomplishments is enough for me......as long as they remove the one next to Roger Maris' name! They damn sure wouldn't have done that to the much more popular Mantle if he had won that contest!

Regards,
          Dennis
          Why is there a asterisk next to Maris?
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
            Why is there a asterisk next to Maris?
            It has been removed. It was there because Maris hit his 61st homer in a 162 game schedule (in game 162 in fact), while Ruth hit his 60 in a 154 game schedule. If you watch the move *61, it lays it all out pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
              It has been removed. It was there because Maris hit his 61st homer in a 162 game schedule (in game 162 in fact), while Ruth hit his 60 in a 154 game schedule. If you watch the move *61, it lays it all out pretty well.
              Glad to know that. Thanks Ibis! When did it happen?

My earlier post was goofy and I missed it. My logic on not omitting their numbers should have said, why omit the numbers of the steroid gang when the accomplishments of more sophisticated cheaters, like HGH users may go undetected and become legitimized.

Regards,
              Dennis
              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I watch MLB Network like it is my job to do so. They break into whatever they are showing to show A-roid's at-bats. Drives me insane. I could care less. I care even more less because he is steroid junky and his records are worthless IMO.... just like bonds, clemens, mcgwire, sosa, and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                  Glad to know that. Thanks Ibis! When did it happen?

My earlier post was goofy and I missed it. My logic on not omitting their numbers should have said, why omit the numbers of the steroid gang when the accomplishments of more sophisticated cheaters, like HGH users may go undetected and become legitimized.

Regards,
                  Dennis
                  Technically, there was no asterisk at all. In the early 90s when MLB stopped listed 154 game records separately. There are a few good comments about it on the Maris asterisk on TheBaseballPage..

And the late, great Shirley Povich had a good article on it here called Asterisk Demeaned Roger Maris.

One more good article on the subject by Allen Barra called The myth of Maris' asterisk.

Last edited by The Ibis; 27 Jul 10, 19:56.

Comment

Good point. I think Maris won the MVP in 60 if I'm not mistaken, and as I recall people weren't too excited when he broke Ruth's record in New York. As I recall Mark McGwire gave a lot of praise to Maris when he broke Maris's record.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Still waiting on that stupid 600th HR.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X