Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do to make Pro Sports more exciting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do to make Pro Sports more exciting?

I would eliminate the three point line in basketball.

I would have soccer games decided by sudden death if tied after 90 minutes.

What would you do?

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
    Bugger off! Sometimes a well fought draw is more a more appropriate scoreline than an imposed victory.

Comment

Bring back Disco Demolition Night!

http://dkpresents.wordpress.com/2009...ed-demolition/

Disco Demolition Night took place 30 years ago today at Comiskey Park in Chicago. The brainchild of WLUP DJ Steve Dahl and White Sox promotion man Mike Veeck, this gimmick – which encouraged fans to bring unwanted disco records in exchange for 98 cent admission to the ballpark – took place between games of a doubleheader between the White Sox and Detroit Tigers. The offending records were blown up in the outfield, but the blast ripped a huge chunk from the outfield grass and started a small fire, hundreds of fans stormed the field and tore out the bases and pitching rubber, and the second game was eventually forfeited to the Tigers (no American league team has forfeited a game since). It’s no stretch to say that Disco Demolition Night was the most disastrous promotion in the history of baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
        Bugger off! Sometimes a well fought draw is more a more appropriate scoreline than an imposed victory.
        Agreed.

Comment

Add full contact to basketball and soccer. Especially soccer. That should end the disgraceful diving and rolling around that plagues soccer.

Unfortunately there is nothing that can make baseball or golf more exciting.

NFL needs a really accelerated play clock. There is way too much dead time between plays.

Comment

I would also have designated hitters in all major league games.

Comment

Public corporal punishment for slacking.

Assuuuume the position!

Comment

Too much crowd involvement could be dangerous though

Comment

end the offside rule in football. Or footie as our English blokes call it.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

In Golf:
                    Tie up a lifer a few yards from the hole. If the golfer chucks the ball and it hits the lifer on the head, he wins.
                    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
                    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                      Too much crowd involvement could be dangerous though
                      Bring back the Hanson Brothers and old time hockey!!!

Comment

I would eliminate the three point line in basketball.

What would you do?
                        Keep the three point line, it never hurt anyone. Eliminate basketball!

Disagree on the soccer ties, I would eliminate sudden death in American football as well.

Allow the home plate umpire to shoot a batter that steps out of the box on more than one consecutive pitch or more than twice in one time at bat.

Same punishment for a pitcher who can't do something with the ball within 20 seconds of receiving it.

OK, the punishments for batters and pitchers may be just a touch radical. Batters are automatically out for leaving the box too frequently and immediately get first base if a pitcher dawdles.

A little off track, but get high school sports the off nationwide TV! Do you hear that ESPN!?

Regards,
                        Dennis
                        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                          I would eliminate sudden death in American football as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                            I like[d] sudden death in football. Unfortunately, the owners didn't, and modified the rule at least for the playoffs to ensure each side gets the ball at least once (unless the receiving team scores a touchdown - as opposed to a field goal). Supposedly the coaches didn't want this, so the owners waited until the annual coaches golf outing at the owners' meeting to pass the rule change. If thats true, its darn , and would get a from me.

Comment

When I was done my evening tasks, I flipped on the TV. On the Red Sox Channel there was a soccer game being played by two European Teams, Celtic Glasgow and Sporting Club of Portugal. The game was interesting to me, because it was being played in a specially prepared Fenway Park.

Anyway, I saw the last ten minutes of regulation, which ended 1 to 1. The Celtics won 6 to 5 on penalty kicks. The announcer, Jon Meterparel, made what I thought was a good comment. He said that thinks the penalty kicks should be moved back some to give the goalie a chance. This seems to me like a good suggestion - it seems to me that in top level soccer about 80% of penalty kicks succeed, and often the failures are due to the kicker missing the net. It would be more interesting and the goalie would be a bigger part of the game if the line was moved back from the eleven meter line, to a distance where it would be a 50/50 proposition.
                              Last edited by lakechampainer; 21 Jul 10, 22:42.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X