Would relegation help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would relegation help?

I was watching a lackluster M.L.S. game the other day, where one team was up by a pair in the 60th minute and the players appeared listless and uncaring when the thought came to me; promotion/relegation. As it stands at present, if your team is dreadful, there appears to be little incentive upon the owners and players to avoid dwelling in the cellar. But if you add the possibility being relegated to the second tier...

I know, I know; at present there really is no organized second tier and/or third tier, however that shouldn't preclude the idea from being bandied about.

What do you think? Would the introduction promotion/relegation in the near future help the sport of football(soccer) or hurt it?

I think that generally, it would help...but it can't be done. There are so many other problems to overcome.
    But it just isn't feasible.

Here's the standing for division 2 soccer in the USA:
    ______________ Pts GP W L T
    1st Austin Aztex 35 17 10 2 5 30 17
    2nd Vancouver Whitecaps 29 17 7 2 8 18
    3rd Rochester Rhinos 27 17 7 4 6 19 13
    4th NSC Minnesota Stars 19 7 9 3
    5th Montreal Impact 17 5 7 5
    6th well...yadda yadda yadda. I don't want to cut and paste all night.

The point is that the highest scoring and by far the league-leading team right now is the Aztex (thanks in no small part to their super-kick-ass fans), and they don't even have their own stadium. They play on a high-school football field. That's not going to do the business of MLS any favors in getting good air-time deals on ESPN, where TV audiences want and expect reasonably nice stadiums.

Plus, MLS is it's own business. They decide who is let in and who goes. They are looking for good finances and stability and the once you get below MLS level-soccer in the US, you are looking at about an 80% or so failure rate of clubs. I'm sorry, I don't have the exact numbers now, but I will say that most clubs below MLS spend the off-season wondering if their will even be the money for them to have another season after wards. The Canadian clubs and Seatle (OK and Portland) were the only ones that had a loyal, consistent and reasonably large fan-base showing up at games...Everyone else can't be really sure that the club won't fold over the Summer or at the beginning of the season.

Comment

Oh and those clubs whose existence is reasonably assured in Canada, Seatle, and Portland, have already joined MLS (Sounders) or are looking to join soon (Portland and the Canadian teams).

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
        Oh and those clubs whose existence is reasonably assured in Canada, Seatle, and Portland, have already joined MLS (Sounders) or are looking to join soon (Portland and the Canadian teams).
        Yup. Vancouver joins with Portland next season and Montreal joins the following season.
        Seattle,Portland,Vancover and Montreal will also play for the rights to the Heritage Cup. MLS created this award for the teams moving up from the USSL.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
          Yup. Vancouver joins with Portland next season and Montreal joins the following season.
          Seattle,Portland,Vancover and Montreal will also play for the rights to the Heritage Cup. MLS created this award for the teams moving up from the USSL.
          We beat Montreal 2-nothing...Twice! Take that Snowfrogs!!

Les québécois ne savent pas jouer au foot!

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
            I was watching a lackluster M.L.S. game the other day, where one team was up by a pair in the 60th minute and the players appeared listless and uncaring when the thought came to me; promotion/relegation. As it stands at present, if your team is dreadful, there appears to be little incentive upon the owners and players to avoid dwelling in the cellar. But if you add the possibility being relegated to the second tier...

I know, I know; at present there really is no organized second tier and/or third tier, however that shouldn't preclude the idea from being bandied about.

What do you think? Would the introduction promotion/relegation in the near future help the sport of football(soccer) or hurt it?
            Whatever happened to professionalism, or pride for that matter

There should be plenty of impetus for the players, getting canned for not pulling their weight for a start.

Comment

Move it back indoors... Back in the 80's scores of 11-9 were not uncommon in the old MISL. And listlessness was almost unheard of.
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Some good thoughts on the matter, especially Cicero's initial post.

It's a shame that many of these 2nd tier teams continually operate on the brink of financial ruin. Perhaps if there was the prospect of promotion to the 1st tier, sufficient revenues and/or owner initiative/daring would flow into their coffers to enable them to compete with the 1st tier cellar dwellers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                  Some good thoughts on the matter, especially Cicero's initial post.

It's a shame that many of these 2nd tier teams continually operate on the brink of financial ruin. Perhaps if there was the prospect of promotion to the 1st tier, sufficient revenues and/or owner initiative/daring would flow into their coffers to enable them to compete with the 1st tier cellar dwellers.
                  Or you may create a structure where the top tier claim the lions share of the cash and the gulf between the tiers becomes almost insurmountable with clubs that are too big for the 2nd tier but not big enough to compete in the 1st tier yo-yoing up and down

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X