MLB Baseball 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Baseball 2010

Since it isn't football season yet, and there isn't a fantasy game in progress (and since I don't follow the World Cup), I thought I'd start a running conversation about the MLB season.

So how about Stephen Strasburg? After two starts, he looks like the real deal. Of course, so did David Clyde. I'm guessing Washington will manage Strasburg better than Texas managed Clyde. Still the temptation of running him out there every 5 days will be very great. Any thoughts?

My Fish troll along in the middle of the pack. I'm thinking if the Marlins don't get hot before the Allstar break, Loria will fire Fredi Gonzalez. That would be a mistake in my view.
    Last edited by The Ibis; 13 Jun 10, 15:12.

Let's see how Strasburg does against a major league team first... (Pirates & Indians don't count!)

He had 5 walks in 5-1/3 today. Coulda been a bad umpire squeezing a rookie. Could mean he is still a little wild.
    History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
    _________
    BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
      Let's see how Strasburg does against a major league team first... (Pirates & Indians don't count!)

He had 5 walks in 5-1/3 today. Coulda been a bad umpire squeezing a rookie. Could mean he is still a little wild.
      Indeed. I'm guessing Manny Acta instructed the team to be very selective and not help Strasburg by chasing pitches out of the strikezone. Still, the kid fanned 8 and only gave up 2 hits in his 5.1 innings.

Comment

I'd say today's performance by "Mr. Precedent" was a mixture of a stingy ump and Indians who were trying not to whiff too much, which they did anyway. As far as the rest of the season for Strasburg, I think he'll continue to do well, but I have my doubts once he faces, as Torien said, a "real" big-league club.

Well my Cincinnati Reds lost today to drop their series with the Royals. I was hoping for a sweep, which is what the Royals pulled off last season when we visited them in Kansas, but at least they crushed the Royals last night when I went to the game, thanks to Jonny Gomes and Brandon Phillips, and are still in 1st place in the NL Central provided the Cardinals actually lose here in a bit like it appears they will....the Reds haven't played baseball like this for a long time, and if they can keep it up and stay 7-10 games above .500 I'd say they can make a run at their division or the Wild Card. Our bullpen needs to get their act together though...

Oh, and of course I decided to sit Zack Greinke today in my Yahoo fantasy league, given his recent performances leading up to today's game against my very own Reds. He threw a complete game against Cincy with 5 hits and 12 Ks. Great decision Alex.

Comment

Another near no-no, this time in Chicago, as Ted Lilly goes 8 innings without giving up a hit.

Comment

2009 ended with this:

2010 will end with this:

All will be right with the universe.
            Last edited by slick_miester; 14 Jun 10, 11:40.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              2009 ended with this:

2010 will end with this:

All will be right with the universe.

Hello Slick. Do you believe in the curse of Don Mattingly?

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                Hello Slick. Do you believe in the curse of Don Mattingly?
                Since Donnie Baseball's retirement, the Yanks have hoisted iron . . . . . four times. (Mattingly was technically on the 1996 roster, though he played not one inning due to injury, and Tino Martinez started at 1B.) What curse, pray tell, are you referring to?
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                  Since Donnie Baseball's retirement, the Yanks have hoisted iron . . . . . four times. (Mattingly was technically on the 1996 roster, though he played not one inning due to injury, and Tino Martinez started at 1B.) What curse, pray tell, are you referring to?
                  The one that says the Yankees cannot win a World Series with Mattingly on the roster or in the employ of the team. As I recall it, he was not officially on the roster in 1996 since he retired a month after the 1995 season. Also, when he came back as a coach during the 2000s, the team didn't win a title. By amazing coincidence, the team won championships in the years following Mattingly's retirement as a player and leaving the team as a coach.

That one.

Comment

Know it appears that the Pirates are close to calling up another one of their top Minor League prospects, 3B Pedro Alvarez...and still waiting for an update on the NL All-Star Voting standings. I want to see where my Reds players are in the standings; the way they're playing, at least Phillips, Rolen, and Votto deserve to go, maybe Gomes too.

Comment

Chipper Jones mulling retirement

From SI.com

Chipper considering retirement

Struggling through another disappointing season, Atlanta Braves third baseman Chipper Jones told The Associated Press he would meet with team officials Tuesday to discuss his future and acknowledged that he's considering retirement.

Jones declined to comment directly on whether he'll retire at the end of the season, but it seemed clear that he's made up his mind and merely needed to work out a settlement with the team over the $28 million in guaranteed money he's owed for the 2011 and 2012 seasons.
                      Chipper will be an interesting HOF candidate. Third basemen are under-represented as a group, and Chipper's line is impressive (.306 average, 429 hrs, 1467 rbi). He's won an MVP, although he never finished higher than fourth in the voting in any other year. He is a six-time All Star who won a batting title and led the league once in OPS. He falls well short on both the Black Ink and Grey Ink tests, though does well on the HOF Monitor and HOF Standards tests. Chipper's career stats are linked here.

In the end, I'd bet Chipper gets in. However, I don't see his as a slam dunk case. Any thoughts?

Comment

I have to agree with you Ibis--I'd personally say Chipper should get into the HoF and ultimately will, but I'm not 100% certain...although I would say I think it's time for him to retire.

Comment

Leo Nez wastes another brilliant performance by Josh Johnson.

Hey, at least Hanley got a big hit. He's underperformed so far this year.
                          Last edited by The Ibis; 16 Jun 10, 15:48.

Comment

Originally posted by CatholicCrusade View Post
                            Know it appears that the Pirates are close to calling up another one of their top Minor League prospects, 3B Pedro Alvarez...and still waiting for an update on the NL All-Star Voting standings. I want to see where my Reds players are in the standings; the way they're playing, at least Phillips, Rolen, and Votto deserve to go, maybe Gomes too.

Votto is one of my favorite players.
                            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Hopefully not coming anytime soon to a stadium near you:

Horns o' plenty: Noisy night is something Marlins look to forget

And on Sunday, Rays manager Joe Maddon -- who had said the horns should be banned by baseball -- wasn't backing down, either.

"They're annoying," Maddon said. "There's cool things and there's very non-cool things. That's a non-cool thing. ... You could even almost attribute the mix-up possibly last night, if there was one, to the fact that it was so loud."

The horns given out Saturday were about half the size as the vuvuzelas that provide the constant -- some say annoying -- buzz from the stands at World Cup matches. Nonetheless, they packed such a noisy punch for the Marlins and Rays that players and umpires quickly popped in earplugs, and conversations even in the dugouts were nearly impossible.

In better news, Josh Johnson dominates once again.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X