College Football Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football Realignment

You fellas been following the big brouha in the Big 12?

Colorado joined the Pac-10 on Thursday.

Nebraska joined the Big Ten on Friday.

Texas,Texas Tech,Oklahoma and Oklahoma State may be joining the Pac 10. The regents of Texas are meeting on Tuesday to make a decision.

The four teams above may join the SEC instead.

Texas A&M may join the SEC.

Kansas and Missouri may join the Mountain West.

Boise State ditched the WAC and joined the Mountain West.

My take:
    I've always wanted Colorado to join the Pac. I also rather see Boise St. join the Pac as well.

Nebraska seems to be a good fit in the Big Ten. No problem there.

The Texas and Oklahoma schools-I would prefer to see them remain in the Big 12.

Kansas and Missouri would be a nice addition to the Mountain West and would be easy for the Big 12 to replace.

I've seen discussions that are stating that if all the rumored moves happen it will kill the B(C)S. Always a good thing there.

Thoughts?
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Nothing more than a realignment of the cash flow. The most hilarious thing I've heard so far was one of the schools that is moving (can't remember for sure which) talked about it from the standpoint of academic benefit!

What a joke!

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
      Nothing more than a realignment of the cash flow. The most hilarious thing I've heard so far was one of the schools that is moving (can't remember for sure which) talked about it from the standpoint of academic benefit!

What a joke!

Regards,
      Dennis
      If there was any doubt that Dennis is correct and that football is king of the hill, consider the fact that Kansas, one of the 3 or 4 most storied college basketball schools of all time, and an enormous state school with tens of thousands of students, can't find a major conference to call home.

The Big-12 meant nothing to me. The worst part about it was the conference destroyed the Oklahoma vs Nebraska rivalry. I don't care what the networks try to say, Oklahoma vs Texas isn't in the same category and the Big 12 never, ever came close to comparing to the old Big 8. Remember the days

- every year, Oklahoma vs Nebraska playing on Thanksgiving
      - vying to come to Miami for the Orange Bowl
      - often with a shot at the national title in the balance

Comment

Please No Texas in the SEC.
        If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

On my earlier mention of some school citing academics for the conference switch. It was Nebraska, who coincidentally has the lowest graduation rate of any school in their new conference, the Big 10! What a joke!

Regards,
          Dennis

Comment

The advent of the Big 10 network has changed the landscape of College football forever. The age of the super conference is here as these networks can demand even more advertising revenues and subscriber rates from the cable providers.

Ultimately there will be five of these super conferences that will encompass the top 80 teams . The others will be relegated to second class citizen status. These super five will dictate to the NCAA and the TV networks how college sports are organized and priced. It's great work if you can get it.
            God Save The Republic.

Comment

It looks like Utah received an invite to become the 12th team in the Pac10.

Vinny Gambini would be happy.

Comment

Now that the Big 12 is still standing.it looks like they're targeting Arkansas (possible) and Notre Dame (yeah right).
                If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I'm not always a huge fan of Frank Deford's stuff, but he's got a good article up on SI.com titled If Pac-10 becomes Wicked West, what becomes of NCAA?. Here's a snip:

We are on our way to having four jumbo conferences of the compass -- so it's time to rid them of their quaint names from the varsity drag era of Rudy Vallee and call them correctly: the Big Ten becomes the Nasty North; the Pac-10, the Wicked West; the SEC, the Savage South; and once the Big East and the Atlantic Coast Conference get their conglomeration together, we'll have the Evil East.

Out there in the fly-over middle of the realm, does still remain the territory ruled by the erstwhile Big 12 -- although, with defections, it has become the Medium 10. It manages to stay in business only because the University of Texas would rather be the Huge One with a blue-ribbon television deal than just be an equal partner with a lot of glamorous California rivals.

For now, the lingering question is when Notre Dame will finally realize that "independent" has come to mean "irrelevant" and get on board with somebody. Otherwise, the Irish can proudly continue to claim to be the only team in the world operating alone in the 21st Century ... besides the Harlem Globetrotters.

When the dust settles, the real question will be: what happens to the NCAA? Obviously, the four monster conferences can police themselves, so the power is bound to drain out of the NCAA and leave it attenuated, sort of an athletic League of Nations.

And, of course, the beauty of it all: no matter how many mega-millions the colleges make from television and tickets, they don't have to pay the football players a nickel. That's the American way.

Comment

Sorry Ibis not all that impressed with the article myself. Sports reporting seems to have sank from the realm of reporting to rumor mongering. As far as what the NCAA can do, call up USC and ask.

I am not so sure about the 16 team super conferences just yet. Most of that with regards to the Pac-10 (now 12 ) seems to have been driven by Texas most likely merely jerking the Big 12 (now 10 ) around for negotiations sake and a lot of speculation on the sports writers parts. I feel that the proposed but not achieved Pac-16 would have done well possibly in TV revenue but might not have done so hot in actual at the game ticket sales. And that is no small change for the Universities. It is a very long way to travel from Texas to Washington or Oregon and that well could have arisen from this.

I am not all that surprised at the shifts that took place. The Big 10 (now 12 ) has been looking to expand to 12 teams for some time. I think they got fed up on waiting for Notre Dame to see the light of day. The Big 12 ( now 10 ) has never seemed that well of a managed conference to me and I am not surprised they lost Colorado and Nebraska. Colorado recruits pretty heavily from California and this gives them more exposure there. While Nebraska would seem to be a sure bet in the Big 12 (now 10 ) North I am fairly sure they were not eager to be part of what appears to now be the Texas and some others conference.

I may be biased being an SEC guy, but I think the SEC, which was the first conference to go to 12 teams and a championship game, has handled expansion best. They have formulated their schedule to allow for traditional cross division rivalries (Georgia vs Auburn, Alabama vs Tennessee) and non-conference rival games (Georgia vs Georgia Tech, Florida vs Florida State). I hope the new 12 team conferences look to their example as for as what to emulate and the Big 12 (now 10 ) as what to avoid.

As far as some of the further speculation I think it is just that, speculation, the sports writers have to have something to talk about at this time of year besides arrests. The Big 10 (now 12 ) commissioner has stated that any further expansion will be done slowly and in phases. That sounds to me that they are content now that they can have a championship game and in no real rush to go further. The SEC commissioner says they are fine as they are and have no plans for further expansion and I would believe that. When the SEC first expanded to 12 Florida state wanted in and the decision was made not to bring them in because it would be another quality school just to help eliminate other schools in the conference. My point with that is the SEC has had the chance to go past 12 years ago and was not really interested. Also as far as Arkansas leaving the SEC while it would allow for a possible resumption of some of their old rivalry games I do not see them in a hurry to leave an equal money sharing conference to go and join the Texas + others conference.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                      Sorry Ibis not all that impressed with the article myself. Sports reporting seems to have sank from the realm of reporting to rumor mongering. As far as what the NCAA can do, call up USC and ask.

I am not so sure about the 16 team super conferences just yet. Most of that with regards to the Pac-10 (now 12 ) seems to have been driven by Texas most likely merely jerking the Big 12 (now 10 ) around for negotiations sake and a lot of speculation on the sports writers parts. I feel that the proposed but not achieved Pac-16 would have done well possibly in TV revenue but might not have done so hot in actual at the game ticket sales. And that is no small change for the Universities. It is a very long way to travel from Texas to Washington or Oregon and that well could have arisen from this.

I am not all that surprised at the shifts that took place. The Big 10 (now 12 ) has been looking to expand to 12 teams for some time. I think they got fed up on waiting for Notre Dame to see the light of day. The Big 12 ( now 10 ) has never seemed that well of a managed conference to me and I am not surprised they lost Colorado and Nebraska. Colorado recruits pretty heavily from California and this gives them more exposure there. While Nebraska would seem to be a sure bet in the Big 12 (now 10 ) North I am fairly sure they were not eager to be part of what appears to now be the Texas and some others conference.

I may be biased being an SEC guy, but I think the SEC, which was the first conference to go to 12 teams and a championship game, has handled expansion best. They have formulated their schedule to allow for traditional cross division rivalries (Georgia vs Auburn, Alabama vs Tennessee) and non-conference rival games (Georgia vs Georgia Tech, Florida vs Florida State). I hope the new 12 team conferences look to their example as for as what to emulate and the Big 12 (now 10 ) as what to avoid.

As far as some of the further speculation I think it is just that, speculation, the sports writers have to have something to talk about at this time of year besides arrests. The Big 10 (now 12 ) commissioner has stated that any further expansion will be done slowly and in phases. That sounds to me that they are content now that they can have a championship game and in no real rush to go further. The SEC commissioner says they are fine as they are and have no plans for further expansion and I would believe that. When the SEC first expanded to 12 Florida state wanted in and the decision was made not to bring them in because it would be another quality school just to help eliminate other schools in the conference. My point with that is the SEC has had the chance to go past 12 years ago and was not really interested. Also as far as Arkansas leaving the SEC while it would allow for a possible resumption of some of their old rivalry games I do not see them in a hurry to leave an equal money sharing conference to go and join the Texas + others conference.
                      Hello BD. Other than the renaming of the conferences to Deford's wacky monikers, the only speculation in his article was:

Hey, any conference would take in Satan U. and Beezlebub Tech if they came from the right TV markets.
                      In the main, I agree with you about the current state of sports writing. With so many outlets, the mere occurrence of a back-up tackle stubbing his toe can get attention around the country. As for rumors, you bet. They're everywhere.

Still, with regard to this story, in my uninformed opinion, I think many of the rumors were thisclose to happening. It all came down to Texas. If the Longhorns bolted for the PAC-10 (now 12, might have been 16), we might very well have seen the formation of the mega-conferences. Since Texas decided to stay put, the mega-conferences are on hold. That said, IMO its only a matter of time. If Notre Dame decides to follow Lou Holtz's latest advice (yes, Holtz is now on record) and join the Big 10 (now 12, would be 13 ), I suspect the conference would jump to 16 very quickly. Schools like Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Louisville and UCONN would leap at that chance. And if the Big 10 went to 16, the PAC10 would quickly follow.

The SEC is sort of immune from the expansion craze right now since its football is so good and they have that great ESPN deal. I thought the rumors of FSU, Georgia Tech, Clemson and Miami were way off base. However, if the other leagues are able to generate more money through the megaconference model, I'm not sure the SEC would be able to resist the temptation.

Comment

Case in point about the state of reporting. Pardon the baseball interruption.

From today's SI Fannation:
                        Yankees need a bat, or two, at the deadline

Right now, the Yankees don't seem to have the offense to get them to the postseason and give them a shot at defending their World Series title.
                        Well lets see. The Yankees, with their offensive woes, are in first place.
                        They lead the league in OPS+ and OBP. They're second in the league in runs, batting average and OPS (unadjusted). They're third in the league in homers and slugging. Somehow I suspect that with good pitching, they'd do (like they're doing) just fine. And yet doom and gloom from the web.

Comment

I might have taken it wrong (the article). All of the wild speculation over at ESPN in the last few days has kind of ticked me off. Honestly I should know better because ESPN seems to be headed towards national Enquirer levels of reporting.

I disagree with it having been all that close to happening. Again I could be wrong but I think it was a negotiation tactic by Texas. I also really don't see where having 16 teams is of that much more of a benefit to a conference. 12 is the magic number, as that gives a championship game and the $$$ that comes with that.

With regards to the SEC I still don't know if they would be all that hot for expansion, again FSU wanted in way back when, but the conference (wisely in my opinion) said no as that would be too many good teams and would just result in conference teams eliminating each other on the national scene. The BCS has alleviated that some what but I think that argument still remains valid.

With that said I think if any of the conferences do go to super size it may be from picking up schools from the lesser conferences already in their region. While it does not get you into new TV regions, it takes care of the travel concerns, and the elimination concerns.

Again speaking of the SEC check out the Wiki page.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Conference
                          They certainly appear to be in a strong position revenue wise for TV.

Lastly only a couple of more months until the season starts, I know I am ready for it. And looking at the schedule I see the goofballs in Gatorland scheduled the wrong Miami. LOL They must be still scared of yall. I notice the Canes still have a two game lead in the series. Of course I think you are like me, old enough to remember when Florida was a joke!

Comment

How can the ADs and presidents of our major universities ever wash off the slime they are coated with? If this recent round of maneuvering doesn't finally reveal them as the money ****** they really are, I don't know what will. Concern for the student athlete my ass!

Again, lets use the Cornhuskers as only one example of oh so many. One of their poo-bahs was talking about that move and discussing it in terms of its importance to academics. That is simply hilarious, as the next thing I saw mentioning that bit pointed out that the Huskers will have the lowest graduation rate in the conference.

They are however no bigger hypocrites than their fellow NCAA schools. If you want it to really be about student athletes, make athletic scholarships binding for 4 years. This makes the athlete stay in school rather than hang around long enough to hone their games for whichever pro league.

That should also force the NFL and NBA to quit using colleges as a free minor league and start their own. Will the quality of play at old state U go down? Absolutely, but the sham perpetuated on the public for the past century will end too.

Make coaches contracts equally binding. That fraternity of greasy. lying, fradulent bastards should be held to the same standards as their student athletes. Otherwise all we are teaching them is to lie and cheat.

Regards,
                            Dennis

Comment

I'm all for the conferences realigning regardless of the reasons. Maybe that way they won't be able to keep scheduling the cupcakes out of conference. I mean Penn State is playing Division 1AA (I know it's officially something else but I prefer 1AA) Youngstown State and the defending champion, Alabama, has a school on their schedule that is playing it's 1st year of football. Really Alabama? Couldn't find anyone else to bully? It's ridiculous how some teams schedule opponents. And they're all guilty of it!

I'm a huge Ohio State fan but I'm tired of seeing them pound Toledo, Bowling Green, Ohio Univ., Kent State and others while only playing 1 good out of conference team a year. Last year it was USC and this year will be Miami (Fla). Their out of conference schedule should have West Virginia, Kentucky, and Pitt with the 4th game being another big name from further away. These games would make money and generate good rivalries. The few times I've seen WVU and OSU go at it, it's gotten WVU fired up. The same would happen with Kentucky and Pitt.

As for Notre Dame joining the Big 10 (12), screw them! I'm tired of them looking down their noses at the Big 10. Maybe they don't want to join because they know they can't hang with the big hitters of the conference. Hell they'd have a hard time with Indiana let alone Wisconsin, Penn State, or Ohio State and now Nebraska. Notice I pointedly did not mention Michigan. Even though the Wolvies did manage to beat the Irish last season.
                              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X