Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instant Replay Needed? Baseball Perfect Game Blown!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Replay Needed? Baseball Perfect Game Blown!

Any of you guys hear or see this one?
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=300602106

Sports talk radio around Pittsburgh is having a field day with this story as I'm sure other markets are too, especially Detroit.

Do you baseball fans think MLB should have instant replay? Maybe along the lines of the NFL with the managers having challenges? Or not? Blown calls have always been part of the game haven't they? Just ask the Cardinals after the World Series they had with the Royals? Don Denkinger anyone?
    Instant Replay- Yes, anything is better than watching some pitcher get jobbed like that
    55.56%
    No Instant Replay- blown calls have always been part of baseball, that's part of it's charm
    44.44%
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

You have to really feel for the pitcher. He should at least be listed in the record books with an asterik.
    You don't like religious fundamentalists with guns? Who do you think landed at Plymouth Rock?

Comment

On this I am a traditionalist. I believe no replay (they already have it for home run or foul) is the way the game stays true to the past.

It was a terrible call last night. The ump knew it and even went into the Tigers' clubhouse to apologize in person to the pitcher. That being said, no way for baseball to overturn that call. Instead the Tigers owners should give him his perfect game bonus (if in his contract) and thank him.

I think having replay will only open more problems...some will say well have it only on close plays - ok, what IS a close play? Last night IMO was not a close play...everyone saw he was out. Also, will the umps be forced to review every play that is considered close by the definition of whatever they come up with for what close is? No replay - keep it with a human factor which gives us something to talk about. If we have replay next comes robots making the calls with green and red lights on their heads lighting up to signal a call.
      "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
      -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Here's the 9th inning in it's entirety:

The runner is clearly out!

To be fair to the umpire, Jim Joyce, he later said he blew the call. A nice gesture has been made to him from the Tigers and their fans. It seems that sportsmanship is still alive and well.
        http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
          On this I am a traditionalist. I believe no replay (they already have it for home run or foul) is the way the game stays true to the past.

It was a terrible call last night. The ump knew it and even went into the Tigers' clubhouse to apologize in person to the pitcher. That being said, no way for baseball to overturn that call. Instead the Tigers owners should give him his perfect game bonus (if in his contract) and thank him.

I think having replay will only open more problems...some will say well have it only on close plays - ok, what IS a close play? Last night IMO was not a close play...everyone saw he was out. Also, will the umps be forced to review every play that is considered close by the definition of whatever they come up with for what close is? No replay - keep it with a human factor which gives us something to talk about. If we have replay next comes robots making the calls with green and red lights on their heads lighting up to signal a call.
          I disagree with your replay argument, Twitter. They could set it up where the managers would have a set number of challenges to use at their discretion, say 2, and if they use them, well then Tough Luck! if this situation came up and the Tigers' manager was out of challenges, then the call stands. But in this case, and in my scenario, I'll almost bet that the Indians manager, if he had a challenge left, would've challenged the call and got the perfect game for the pitcher. People involved in baseball are like that and it would be the right thing to do. But I did say "almost bet".

But in no way in my system can replay be used for strikes or balls. Those are just way too subjective for review.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
            I disagree with your replay argument, Twitter. They could set it up where the managers would have a set number of challenges to use at their discretion, say 2, and if they use them, well then Tough Luck! if this situation came up and the Tigers' manager was out of challenges, then the call stands. But in this case, and in my scenario, I'll almost bet that the Indians manager, if he had a challenge left, would've challenged the call and got the perfect game for the pitcher. People involved in baseball are like that and it would be the right thing to do. But I did say "almost bet".

But in no way in my system can replay be used for strikes or balls. Those are just way too subjective for review.
            You know what is odd, they can review a home run but not a call that ruins a perfect game.
            There are thousands of home runs hit each year. There have been only 21 perfect games pitched but only 20 are in the record books!
            You don't like religious fundamentalists with guns? Who do you think landed at Plymouth Rock?

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post

I hear ya, but to that would be one step closer to some day having lasers call balls and strikes - it could happen

To me (and I know it is the basis of the argument) if the ump makes the right call there are no grumblings and this is a happy story - 99 out of 100 times he will get that call right. If they do the challenge then I would vote for only one per team.
              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
              -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Yes, the pitcher was hosed. I will give the ump credit for being man enough to own up to his error and to apologize to the pitcher. Even Leyland praised the ump.

As to replay, what if you could establish that a bad call gave a perfect game or no hitter to a pitcher that didn't earn it? If you're willing to erase that one from the record book, than I am fine with it. If not, leave it be.

I am fine with a change, to allow more reviews, but not a retroactive one. The potential can of worms you open up is huge, not to mention where do we eventually draw the line on these things. If you want to do something for the pitcher, put it in the books with an asterisk explaining the circumstances.

The man will still be recognized, unlike Maris for whom the asterisk was a put down.

Regards,
                Dennis
                If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I'm for replay. Tradition simply isn't a good enough reason to allow blown calls to stand. If I'm going to pay good money to take my kids to a game, or even invest three hours watching on tv, I want that game called correctly.

Its a shame for Galarraga. Putting a positive spin on it, though, because of the blown call, he might wind up better remembered in history than if he actually threw a perfect game. Len Barker, Mike Witt and Kenny Rogers threw perfect games, but most fans outside of Cleveland, Southern California and the Dallas area probably don't recall them. Galarraga will forever be remembered as the guy who got hosed.

By the way, what's with all the perfect and near perfect games this year? There should be three. Plus a bunch of other guys have gone late into games flirting with them. Is something at work, or just coincidence?

Comment

After Wednesday night, I would say an unequivocable YES!
                    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

The first Perfect Game that a Tiger almost threw.
                      "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                        Yes, the pitcher was hosed. I will give the ump credit for being man enough to own up to his error and to apologize to the pitcher. Even Leyland praised the ump.

As to replay, what if you could establish that a bad call gave a perfect game or no hitter to a pitcher that didn't earn it? If you're willing to erase that one from the record book, than I am fine with it. If not, leave it be.

I am fine with a change, to allow more reviews, but not a retroactive one. The potential can of worms you open up is huge, not to mention where do we eventually draw the line on these things. If you want to do something for the pitcher, put it in the books with an asterisk explaining the circumstances.

The man will still be recognized, unlike Maris for whom the asterisk was a put down.

Regards,
                        Dennis
                        Will there eventually be a whole list of different types of asterisks?

Roger Maris was neck to neck to Mickey Mantle that year in their home-run race. If Mantle had came out on top, there would not have been an asterisk what-so-ever anywhere. Mantle was in the eyes of all the fans a true Yankee while Maris was an outsider hopping onto the Pinstriped Glory.
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                          I hope they build an asterik wing at the Hall of Fame. They could put all the roid users in it!

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Roger Maris was neck to neck to Mickey Mantle that year in their home-run race. If Mantle had came out on top, there would not have been an asterisk what-so-ever anywhere. Mantle was in the eyes of all the fans a true Yankee while Maris was an outsider hopping onto the Pinstriped Glory.
                            I'm aware that that was part of the reason for the asterisk. Maris, like Galarraga was hosed, and IMO, Maris even moreso.

Replay may become reality, but any system will prompt calls for more, more more. That mitigates against it to me. Again, no attempt should be made to make it retroactive unless we review all similar circumstances to see if they were legitimatel.

A pitcher can just as easily lose a perfect game or no-hitter on a scorers decision. What then?

Regards,
                            Dennis
                            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                              I'm aware that that was part of the reason for the asterisk. Maris, like Galarraga was hosed, and IMO, Maris even moreso.

Replay may become reality, but any system will prompt calls for more, more more. That mitigates against it to me. Again, no attempt should be made to make it retroactive unless we review all similar circumstances to see if they were legitimatel.

A pitcher can just as easily lose a perfect game or no-hitter on a scorers decision. What then?

Regards,
                              Dennis
                              I think Bob's solution was a good one. Mirror the NFL and give managers a couple of challenges per game. I'm not sure what the penalty for a bad challenge would be. I'm thinking the gain/loss of one out might do it. If the team in the field makes a bad challenge, the team at bat gains an out. If the team at bat makes a bad challenge, they lose an out. Since outs are the most important component of a game other than a run itself, managers would be very cautious about using a challenge.

Just an idea.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X