Infamous Incidents involving coaches and managers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infamous Incidents involving coaches and managers

Woody Hayes going ballistic and punching a Clemson player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVJyf0ft3I

Billy Martin and Earl Weaver... Their entire careers.

Billy Martin - Umpires
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Lloyd McClendon, Pirates manager, "stealing" second base and refusing to return it as part of one of the best tirades ever over a call deserves some sort of recognition.

Maybe not violent or criminal, but certainly entertaining!
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
        Woody Hayes going ballistic and punching a Clemson player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVJyf0ft3I
        That's my favorite berserk coach moment of all time. God bless Woody Hayes.

While not as dramatic, there was Tommy LaSorda's habit of asking the umpire approaching the mound if he should change the pitcher or not: it was a cheap way of stalling for time so the reliever could get in a couple of more warm-up tosses in the bullpen. Any ump that he tried that on once should have tossed him immediately the second time.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Its not exactly infamous yet

But the ongoing Hanley Ramirez vs Fredi Gonzalez feud has drawn national attention.

S.I. writer Joe Posnanski's view is here:

And, then Ramirez took the predictable shot at Gonzalez. He seemed to be saying that Gonzalez singled him out unfairly and would not have pulled another player for a similar stunt. He said: "Hopefully, he does it with everybody. That's OK. He doesn't understand that. He never played in the big leagues."
          Gonzalez was presented with that quote, and he offered one of my favorite responses of the year. I'm not saying that Gonzalez has handled this thing perfectly. No. His job is to defuse the situation, and it has instead gotten out of hand. Maybe he could have prevented the blow-up. Maybe, in a perfect world, he could have kept this thing internal. In one scenario, he might have yanked Hanley into the office, chewed him out, warned him not to make this thing any worse by yapping to reporters and then told the press that Ramirez was hurt and it was all "handled internally." But he also knows a lot more about the situation and his own history with Ramirez so maybe that just wasn't possible. Maybe this thing had to blow up.

What I do know is that when reporters presented him with the "Hanley said you never played in the big leagues," line, Gonzalez did not get angry. He did not get offended. He did not fire back.

He simply said this: "He's right. But I know how to play the game. I played six years in the minor leagues, and I know what it takes to play this game, and I know the effort it takes to play this game, and I know it's hard to play the game. That's it."

That's it. That's the perfect answer. He's right. "...but I know how to play the game." Hanley Ramirez was benched again on Tuesday, and he's probably benched indefinitely, and there's no telling how this thing is going to end. Maybe he will get traded away. Maybe Gonzalez will get shoved out. Maybe, probably, things will simmer down and just go along like normal.
          The full article is linked above.

Comment

Billy Martin knew how to deal with loafing superstars.

Years later Jackson said that as he was cooling off in the clubhouse, he was warned that Billy was on his way in, and he seriously considered beating Billy like a rag doll -- but then he thought about what would happen to his career if he did beat his manager. Thus was Reggie motivated just to shower and clear the hell out before Billy hit the room.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

snip

Years later Jackson said that as he was cooling off in the clubhouse, he was warned that Billy was on his way in, and he seriously considered beating Billy like a rag doll -- but then he thought about what would happen to his career if he did beat his manager. Thus was Reggie motivated just to shower and clear the hell out before Billy hit the room.
              Billy didn't always get so lucky:

From an article in the New York Times:

It also seemed like some things, even a fistfight, were treated with less outrage and definitely could not get in the way of a pennant race.

On Sept. 22, 1985, when the manager of the Yankees showed up to run the team with his right arm in a sling, he was greeted at the clubhouse door by a swarm of reporters.

The first question asked was, “What happened to your arm?”

A scratched and bruised Billy Martin answered, “I hurt it bowling.”

Martin understood the comic sense of the absurd when he managed the Yankees through the last two weeks of a tense 1985 pennant race with a broken right arm that was sometimes held up by a wooden stilt attached to his hip.

A clumsy, almost slapstick, barroom fight with one of his own pitchers, Eddie Lee Whitson, left Martin with a broken arm and two cracked ribs. When the fight was over, Martin acknowledged that Whitson had won the brawl, on a technicality. The morning after, as he dictated that day’s batting order to the hitting coach Lou Piniella because he could not write it himself, Billy said: “I was punching. But he was kicking. I can’t fight feet.”

Comment

Whitson must have been from Paris then!

The French they are a funny race,
                They fight with their feet and,
                They.......well, you should know the rest!

Regards,
                Dennis
                If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                  Plus Billy Martin used to be in a lot of Miller Lite commericals too!

Comment

Chone Figgins and Manager Don Wakamatsu of the Seattle Mariners just got into a scuffle about a week ago... for not hustling.

Comment

Sydney Swans AFL team circa 1984: Ricky Quade - ex captain of the Swans who turned coach in 1982 decided to have an affair with the wife of then Captain Barry Round. Bad idea. Barry Round is a huge man (picture a barrel with massive arms) and he wasn't very happy when he found out.

Barry turned up to training and, without saying a word, proceeded to beat the living suitcase out of Quade in front of the whole playing group.

Barry then told the club "him or me" and that was the end of Quade's coaching career.
                      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X