Aussie Rules Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Rules Football

John, being a senior, what rugby team do you support, or is aussie rules more your thing? Cricket?

Reason I ask is because you aussies are just far too bloody good at most sports, and this year in the S14 your teams are definitely on top. I need to know this cos I must make a decision if I should neg rep you or just put you on ignore!!!

Originally posted by MeenMutha View Post
    John, being a senior, what rugby team do you support, or is aussie rules more your thing? Cricket?

Reason I ask is because you aussies are just far too bloody good at most sports, and this year in the S14 your teams are definitely on top. I need to know this cos I must make a decision if I should neg rep you or just put you on ignore!!!
    A few Australian Rules Football guys are starting to appear in the NFL as punters. Sav Rocca comes to mind immediately.

Comment

MM,

I am an Australian Rules football fan (Essendon), for over 60 years, but I have an appreciation of Rugby in both forms. If I was forced to choose a Rugby team it would be the Brisbane 'Brocos' in League, and the 'Wallabies' in (International) Rugby Union.

At school I was the worst cricket player there, and deserved my pace in the most lowly team we had, ('House' 2nds).

Nevertheless I have a deep love of Cricket and follow it very closely.

Australians are fanatical sports players and followers, and beating the Poms, 'Boks, Kiwis etc is an obsession. Victory over any of them is ALWAYS difficult.

Fortunately we at the top of the heap in many sports at the moment, but as I am sure you know that is NEVER permanent.

John
      The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

I knew a kid who went to USA and played NFL - Brett Shuttleworth? He was a great rugby player but went over to you guys for the money, got hammered and injured and is now back here I believe. He also had a bit part in some stupid teen film where the one chaps name is ... .... .... something meister, not slick (no insult intended Slick Meister)

NFL and Rugby just cannot compete. Rugby is for men who have great ball skills, NFL is for kids who are learning about ball skills.

Comment

Ibis,

'A few Australian Rules Football guys are starting to appear in the NFL as punters. Sav Rocca comes to mind immediately."

In Australian Rules a player that cannot 'punt' a ball at least 50 yards with either foot would have trouble getting a game. Most can do it over 60 yards and a few 70 yards. one memorable kick a couple of years ago measured 83 yards, without wind. The TV crew taped it out the next day.

Sav Rocca was in the Collingwood 'Neanderthals' team. They call themselves the 'Magpies', but the knuckle dragging gives them away. (A top AFL player will earn about a million a year now, and when they retire at about 35 they get a job in the US for 5 times the money, and 5% of the work load.)

On the other hand, The Essendon 'Bombers' are a fine bunch of sportsmen that NEVER plant the odd punch or dig in the ribs.

John.
          The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post
            IOn the other hand, The Essendon 'Bombers' are a fine bunch of sportsmen that NEVER plant the odd punch or dig in the ribs.

John.
            The Sharks are the cleanest of all rugby players, apart from the Boks.

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39
              Ibis,

'A few Australian Rules Football guys are starting to appear in the NFL as punters. Sav Rocca comes to mind immediately."

In Australian Rules a player that cannot 'punt' a ball at least 50 yards with either foot would have trouble getting a game. Most can do it over 60 yards and a few 70 yards. one memorable kick a couple of years ago measured 83 yards, without wind. The TV crew taped it out the next day.

Sav Rocca was in the Collingwood 'Neanderthals' team. They call themselves the 'Magpies', but the knuckle dragging gives them away. (A top AFL player will earn about a million a year now, and when they retire at about 35 they get a job in the US for 5 times the money, and 5% of the work load.)

On the other hand, The Essendon 'Bombers' are a fine bunch of sportsmen that NEVER plant the odd punch or dig in the ribs.

John.
              Thanks John. For NFL punters, the issue isn't usually the distance they can punt, but rather the 1) amount of hangtime they can provide to allow the coverage to get down field; 2) the ability to direct the ball to designated spots; and 3) the ability to drop a punt inside the 20 yard line (which goes hand-in-hand with the two others). Its why someone like NY Giants punter Jeff Feagles can stay in the game at age 43 despite not having a particularly powerful leg anymore.

ps
              Feagles is a Cane!

Last edited by The Ibis; 01 Apr 10, 08:46.

Comment

Aussie Rules Football

New thread for football discussion.
                Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by ozjohn39 View Post

John.
                  Of course not. You don't learn those skills when you spend all your time practising off the 3m dive board.
                  Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

I know all about American Footbal cos I got a game called NFL Head Coach - all the different plays you gotta do on the thing left me with a headache for a week. I think I played one actual game and never played it again, but I understand the fundamentals - you have three attempts to get ten yards forward, otherwise you lose the ball. You also have different teams on the bench - your attackers, defenders and field goal personnel.

Now Aussie rules, whats that about? Lanky small boys running around in muscle vests kicking, punching and throwing the ball around in no set manner - forward, backward, sideways any which way it seems. Tackles can be high, low and dangerous (not that it would matter - the players are so puny they just bounce off the turf ) and then you can kick the ball any old way through the posts to get a score. Is it really more popular over there than Rugby?

Do you chaps also have a world cup get together against the varying nations of the world, uh, I mean, continent, to determine who the best Aussie rules football team is in the world?

Comment

INow Aussie rules, whats that about? Lanky small boys running around in muscle vests kicking, punching and throwing the ball around in no set manner - forward, backward, sideways any which way it seems. Tackles can be high, low and dangerous (not that it would matter - the players are so puny they just bounce off the turf ) and then you can kick the ball any old way through the posts to get a score. Is it really more popular over there than Rugby?
                      I can't even begin to tell you how wrong you are. It would take me ten paragraphs to start pointing out the mistakes in your post but I will tell you that you are right on one thing - it is a hell of a lot of more popular that the "run, run, run, fall over" game.

Speaking as a good Aussie Rules fanatic I think our games popularity comes from a healthy respect of all round athleticism, ability and courage and a healthy distrust of the strange game that has the highlight of some of the team using their muscle to jamb some other part of the team up the rest of the teams arse.

^ That was a reminder of John Hopoate.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                        Speaking as a good Aussie Rules fanatic I think our games popularity comes from a healthy respect of all round athleticism, ability and courage and a healthy distrust of the strange game that has the highlight of some of the team using their muscle to jamb some other part of the team up the rest of the teams arse.

Run run run fall over shakes his head as he walks away in wonder.

All to his own mate, but give me some pointers with that game of yours. Seriously, what are the fundamentals?

Comment

Run run run fall over shakes his head as he walks away in wonder.

All to his own mate, but give me some pointers with that game of yours. Seriously, what are the fundamentals?
                          My Brother in law is a Kiwi and has given me a good appreciation of Rugby as I have given him with Aussie Rules so the back and fro is nothing new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

That might help but it is a bit windy.

A basic thing is that you have three simple deals in the game:

1/ We have the ball - try and give it to another team mate so that the end result is to kick it through the goals.

2/ They have the ball - tackle or pressure them so the can't give it to another team mate so that the end result is to kick it through the goals.

3/ Nobody has the ball - all bets are off and you try and get the ball by all means legal (or not if you can get away with it) to apply rule #1

Apart from that you cheer if your team scores or kills another player.

Comment

Guys,

If you go to You Tube and search such words as 'AFL' or "Big Bumps in AFL' or 'Classic AFL Marks' (marks = catches) or variations of those search terms, you will get an idea of the physical side of the game.

I will try and find you some.

Gridiron question for 'Ibis',

I have been told that in a typical game there is only 11 minutes of ACTUAL play, the rest being stops for TV ads and other things such as discussions on tactics etc.

Is that true?

And has the game ever been played without padding, did it just evolve over the years? Such a thing is strange to a Australian Rules fan, they only use a cotton shirt, shorts and boots. Some outback Aboriginal teams did not even us the boots until the AFL began to support them with gear. And one team actually played on GRAVEL!!!

John.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                              Apart from that you cheer if your team scores or kills another player.

Not much different to Rugby then? Our biggest heroes are usually the ones who deal out the most punishment, but I must say, as a coach and trainee ref, we are trying very hard to make Rugby a clean game. A lot of mothers prevent their kids playing now cos of injuries and we need to change that.

Comment

Working...
                              X