Sacking Managers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacking Managers?

Although this is primarily a Premiership thread, any sport I suppose is relevant if you want to discuss it.

Bolton Wanderers sack manager Gary Megson...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rs/8434719.stm

That the third this season and its not even into the new year yet.

Has anyone any thoughts or comments on this aspect of sport these days?

Gaz

There's an old football quote...

"You can't fire the players; so you fire the coach (or manager)."

I once heard a football coach reply, "You can fire the players. You just can't fire them all at the same time."

Quite often the coach/manager takes the fall for a lack of performance on the part of the team. Sometimes the coach/manager deserves to get the boot; but quite often the fault lies with the owners and upper management... Who won't fire themselves.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

They should all demand the same kind of contract that Rafa Benitez did

At least Megson got kicked out after a poor performance (allowing Hull a surprise come back from 2-0), not like Mark Hughes who got sacked after a win.

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
        Although this is primarily a Premiership thread, any sport I suppose is relevant if you want to discuss it.

Bolton Wanderers sack manager Gary Megson...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rs/8434719.stm

That the third this season and its not even into the new year yet.

Has anyone any thoughts or comments on this aspect of sport these days?

Gaz
        Money. All the owners/boards want quick results and the resulting dosh. The Manager is the easiest target. Look at Mark Hughes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
          There's an old football quote...

"You can't fire the players; so you fire the coach (or manager)."

I once heard a football coach reply, "You can fire the players. You just can't fire them all at the same time."

Quite often the coach/manager takes the fall for a lack of performance on the part of the team. Sometimes the coach/manager deserves to get the boot; but quite often the fault lies with the owners and upper management... Who won't fire themselves.
          The Doctor has nailed it. It is easier to fire 1 coach, manager or whatever the title than "X" players.

Look at Daniel "The Dumbest Owner in the NFL" for all the proof you need of that axiom.

Best regards,
          Dennis
          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
            The Doctor has nailed it. It is easier to fire 1 coach, manager or whatever the title than "X" players.

Look at Daniel "The Dumbest Owner in the NFL" for all the proof you need of that axiom.

Best regards,
            Dennis
            And the list of owners who fired themselves is a pretty short list...
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Sometimes firing a coach is justified though. Mr. Rooney fired Buddy Parker shortly after he tried to put the entire Steeler team on waivers.

Regards,
              Dennis

Comment

Lots of calls for the firing of Randy Shannon this morning on local talk radio. Back when Larry Coker was the coach, they had a website called firelarrycoker.com or something like that.

Comment

Here in the states, no manager was so famously hired, fired, rehired, fired and on and on like Billy Martin. Thought this would be good for a laugh.

Comment

My favorite Martin quote on Reggie Jackson and George Steinbrenner, "One's a liar, the other ones convicted!"

Regards,
                    Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                      My favorite Martin quote on Reggie Jackson and George Steinbrenner, "One's a liar, the other ones convicted!"

Regards,
                      Dennis
                      When I was searching for that video, I was really searching for a video of a press conference when George and Billy made fun of each other over the past hirings and firings. In doing so, I found a video of the post-game celebration after the 1977 World Series. Billy is interviewed saying how happy he was for Reggie. I guess he hadn't started drinking yet. In vino, veritas!

Comment

This past Christmas marked the twentieth anniversary of Billy's death. Yeah, he was crazy, and paranoid, and self-destructive, but he had as fine a mind as ever walked a diamond, and he was never dull.

Billy, you'll always be missed.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X