Question for British sports fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for British sports fans

There has been some speculation on this side of the pond about the possibility of a National Football League team being started in, or moved to, London. I know the recent regular season games have been successful (so they tell us and the stadium looks pretty full), but those were once per year events. Would London support an NFL franchise?

Thanks

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
    There has been some speculation on this side of the pond about the possibility of a National Football League team being started in, or moved to, London. I know the recent regular season games have been successful (so they tell us and the stadium looks pretty full), but those were once per year events. Would London support an NFL franchise?

Thanks
    A few weeks ago, an NFL Europe rep stated (Live on Channel 5) that next season, two NFL games would be played at Wembley. He also inferred that should both games be commercially successful, then the number would likely increase over the following years.

In regard to an NFL franchise moving over here, the speculation is rife and London is indeed in the frame. The main point under discussion atm is as to whether NFL US team fans would actually support the London team, or stick with their own US team. The crux being that if the latter, then a full fixture list in London might not have the dedicated fan base to support the franchise economically. Quite a few have suggested that the attraction of regular live NFL footie in London would see fans compromise, and support both the London team and their own (unless they met on the field that is).

Another benefit has been highlighted by the players of those teams that have so far come to Wembley to play. Most if not all questioned on the subject have said that in a few ways, coming to London for a week is better because a stronger team spirit seems to arise away from home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ll/default.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ll/8412592.stm

Thats all I have so far...

Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by allsirgarnet View Post
      A few weeks ago, an NFL Europe rep stated (Live on Channel 5) that next season, two NFL games would be played at Wembley. He also inferred that should both games be commercially successful, then the number would likely increase over the following years.

In regard to an NFL franchise moving over here, the speculation is rife and London is indeed in the frame. The main point under discussion atm is as to whether NFL US team fans would actually support the London team, or stick with their own US team. The crux being that if the latter, then a full fixture list in London might not have the dedicated fan base to support the franchise economically. Quite a few have suggested that the attraction of regular live NFL footie in London would see fans compromise, and support both the London team and their own (unless they met on the field that is).

Another benefit has been highlighted by the players of those teams that have so far come to Wembley to play. Most if not all questioned on the subject have said that in a few ways, coming to London for a week is better because a stronger team spirit seems to arise away from home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ll/default.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ll/8412592.stm

Thats all I have so far...

Gaz
      Thanks Gaz. I can say from experience living in an "expansion town" that many old loyalties are difficult to erase. Some folks like myself embraced the new team over the old one (I rooted for the Marlins against my former favorite the Yankees in the 2003 World Series). I became a Heat fan when they started as well.

However, Miami is a transient town loaded with folks originally from all over the country (and the world). I can say from experience that many "locals" still pull for their former squads. Knicks, Mets and Jets fans are particularly noteworthy in that regard. Maybe its a New York thing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X