No announcement yet.

Favorite Sports Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve Logan, ex ECU Pirate HC and ex 49er QB coach.

"our offense couldn't run over tall grass today"

SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

One of the morning show guys on The Fan out of Pittsburgh said this about the arrest of Oakley at an NBA game, "He hit more people in 4 seconds than Jarvis Jones did in his Steeler career!" Jones was the first round pick in 2013.

Regards,
      Dennis
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I remember some kids crowding Oakley after a game at the Garden. When they pressed too close, he told them to back the f*** up -- and they did.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

"Tell him he's Wayne Gretzky" Is what Oilers head coach Ted Green told the trainers later after Shaun Van Allen suffered a concussion and couldn't remember his name in a season that was one of the Oilers worst.

Comment

Pirate slugger Willie Stargell upon learning that Joe Greene didn't play his game because he was afraid of pitched baseballs, "Huh, I could use his hand for a bat!"

Regards,
            Dennis

Comment

The only thing Earl know about pitching is that he can't hit it. - Dave McNally on manager Earl Weaver.

We'll see you tomorrow night. - Joe Buck after Kirby Puckett hits a walk off home run in Game 6 of the 1991 World Series.

Bless his heart, he's got to be the sickest man in America. - Verne Lundquist after Jackie Smith drops a pass in the endzone during the Super Bowl.
              “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
              ― Groucho Marx

Comment

From way back, the manager of the Pirates found a half-full bottle of liquor in the locker room. He asked heavy drinker Paul Waner if he was the offender. Waner replied, "No, if it was mine it would have been empty"

Regards,
                Dennis

Comment

Can't remember the people involved. It may have been Ballard (owner) about Bower (goalie). Anyways this one always makes me laugh.

Bower played really bad last night. He was so depressed that he tried committing suicide by jumping in front of a bus but it went through his legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
                    Can't remember the people involved. It may have been Ballard (owner) about Bower (goalie). Anyways this one always makes me laugh.

Bower played really bad last night. He was so depressed that he tried committing suicide by jumping in front of a bus but it went through his legs.
                    That was the joke about Fuhr with the Oilers although it may have been told earlier.

Comment

Don Cherry:

"A lot of fans came tonight dressed as empty seats"

Comment

Scotland being crushed 9 - 3 at Wembley.

Unidentified fan; "Efter the gemme Haffey (Frank Haffey, Scotland goalkeeper on the day, and a regular in the Celtic side that dominated Scottish football for nearly a decade) tried tae pit is heid in is hauns an missed." (Denis Law reports that Haffey was the only one singing in the bath after the match).

Jock Stein, before Scotland played Sweden (and won): "They're nothing tae worry aboot as lang as you boys keep the heid, just watch oot fur the big, blonde guy."
                        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Dick "Doctor Strangeglove" Stuart reveled in his bad fielding, : “One night in Pittsburgh, thirty-thousand fans gave me a standing ovation when I caught a hot dog wrapper on the fly.”

Regards,
                          Dennis

Comment

"And here comes Hurst! He's got - some people are on the pitch. They think it's all over - it is now!"

The long toll of the brave
                            Is not lost in darkness
                            Over the fruitful earth
                            And athwart the seas
                            Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                            Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Johan Cruyff

Any living Dutchman can reproduce at least one of these 5 quotes by its most famous soccer player, Johan Cruijff:

“Every disadvantage has its advantage.” Hands down his best known.

“If you can’t win, make sure you don’t lose.” Obvious and pragmatic. If your opponent outclasses you, go down with minimal damage.

“Playing football is very simple, but playing simple football is the hardest thing there is.” Holds true in any field of life, not just soccer.

“Before I make a mistake, I don’t make that mistake.” Poetic rendering of 'never make the same mistake twice'.

“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” Dripping with cockiness and contempt
                              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                                Dick "Doctor Strangeglove" Stuart reveled in his bad fielding, : “One night in Pittsburgh, thirty-thousand fans gave me a standing ovation when I caught a hot dog wrapper on the fly.”

Regards,
                                Dennis
                                Good one!

My college coach (in his 70's) once asked our infielder coming into the dugout if what he had was a glove or a brick painted brown

He also would say/sing when a umpire made a bad call- 'altogether now... three blind mice'

I once got a spray hit to rightfield (RH batter) then got taken out for a runner when there were two outs (I was catcher). As I came into the dugout he said-
                                'hey Fred... it looked liked you hit that one with a wet Sporting News'

Going to the Conference Championship Tourney at the end of the year we were in two vans and he was driving our van. Well... we took the off-ramp from the highway. Only it was not an off-ramp but an on-ramp to the HWY!
                                Lucky we were not all killed.

We broke open the equipment bags and eventually when we pulled up beside the other van at the stadium we were all wearing batting helmets and catcher's equipment. It was hilarious.

Good times.
                                SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X