Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Sports Quotes

Some Favorite Sports Quotes of mine:

If the Super Bowl is the ultimate game, how come they play another one next year? Duane Thomas

They're not my friends, they're my business associates. Jim Rice, speaking of his Boston Red Sox team-mates.

I think it's time you get on with your life's work. Vince Lombardi

"Holy Cow!" Phil Rizzuto

Comment

"We (England) haven't been scoring goals, but football's not just about scoring goals. It's about winning."
      Alan Shearer

"If you want change, you've got to stick with it."
      Terry Venables

"You get bunches of players like you do bananas, though that is a bad comparison."
      Kevin Keegan

"If we played like that every week, we wouldn't be so inconsistent."
      Bryan Robson

"Well, Clive, it's all about the two Ms - movement and positioning."
      Ron Atkinson

"That's twice he (Terry Phelan) has got between himself and the goal."
      Brian Marwood

"Anyone who takes drugs should be hammered."
      Andy Gray

"There are 0-0 draws and 0-0 draws, and this was a 0-0 draw."
      John Sillett

"Not many teams will come to Arsenal and get anything, home or away."
      Kevin Keegan

"You can't say my team aren't winners. They've proved that by finishing fourth, third and second in the past three seasons."
      Gerard Houllier, showing that Liverpool weren’t winners!

"Unfortunately, we keep kicking ourselves in the foot."
      Ray Wilkins

"I felt a lump in my throat as the ball went in."
      Terry Venables

"Michael Owen to Newcastle is the biggest transfer of the season so far - and it will be until there's a bigger one."
      Jim White

"Yes, six inches either side of the post and that would have been a goal."
      Radio commentator

"I've had an interest in racing all my life, or longer really."
      Kevin Keegan

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statis...manballs04.htm

One page of many Colemanballs

Comment

What, no "Yogi-isms"? What kind of sports quote thread is this?

I didn't really say everything I said.
        - Yogi Berra
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

The finest of all commentary errors was the late Brian Johnston when England's Peter Willey was batting, and West Indian pace-man Michael Holding was bowling.

This led to the immortal:

"The bowler is Holding, the batsman's Willey"

There is no recording of it, and there are those that claim it never happened.

I listened to that match, and I swear he said it. Maybe thats just because I want it to have happened.

Comment

He...could...go...all...the...way! - Chris Berman

Comment

Frazier is so ugly that he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life. - Muhammad Ali

Comment

Anything by Mike Tyson.
                Life is precious, but also cheap. For without war, there is no peace. GS ~ A Soldier's Ghost. A Warrior's Soul.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                  What, no "Yogi-isms"? What kind of sports quote thread is this?

- Yogi Berra
                  Yankee Stadium had some odd late afternoon shadows in left field. A reporter asked Yogi about those shadows when he started playing left field. Yogi replied...

"Yeah. It gets late early around here."

Once during spring training in Florida, Yogi was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda sorts in a hotel lobby. A lady walked up to him and said, "Why Mr. Berra... Don't you look cool!"

Yogi replied...
                  "Why thank you ma'am. You don't look so hot yourself!"

Moving from Yogi to Casey Stengel...

Casey Stengel was the first manager of the 1962 NY Mets (the worst team in baseball history at that point in time). The Mets used three of their first fourteen expansion draft picks on catchers... Hobie Landrith, Chris Cannizzaro and Choo Choo Coleman. When asked why he picked so many catchers, Casey said...

"You have to have a catcher because if you don't you're likely to have a lot of passed balls."

Mets catcher Choo Choo Coleman was once being interviewed by Mets announcer, Raplh Kiner...

Kiner: "Choo Choo... What's your wife's name and what's she like?"
                  Coleman: "Her name is Mrs. Coleman and she likes me."

Ralph Kiner is a human quote machine...

"All of his saves have come in relief appearances"

"Now up to bat for the Mets is Gary Cooper."

"Solo homers usually come with no one on base."

"The Mets have gotten their leadoff batter on only once this inning."

"The reason the Mets have played so well at Shea this year is they have the best home record in baseball."

Kiner was a member of the Mets original broadcast team along with Lindsay Nelson and Bob Murphy. Kiner is pushing 90, but he still makes an occasional on-air appearance.
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

The late Bill Shankly - Manager of Liverpool FC:

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it is far more important than that."

"This city has 2 great teams. Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves."

"The trouble with referees is they know the rules, but they do not know the game."

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                      Frazier is so ugly that he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life. - Muhammad Ali
                      HBO recently aired a documentary film about the legendary 1975 "Thrilla in Manilla," the third and final bout in the Ali-Frazier blood fued. Amazingly, on Joe Frazier's outgoing voice mail message, Frazier says, "my name is Smokin' Joe Frazier, sharp as a razor! Yeah, floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee, I'm the man who done the job. Yeah, he know, look and see. Call us. Bye Bye." By "the job," Frazier apparently means that he's the one who turned Mohammed Ali into a poster boy for punch-drunkenness.

Comment

Sure I played, did you think I was born at the age of 70 sitting in a dugout trying to manage guys like you? - Casey Stengel

I was looking for a Billy Matin quote, but the on I really want has never been published -- from Fenway Park, that afternoon in 1977 when he pulled Reggie Jackson off the field. I'd love to know what Martin barked at him when he hit the dugout.

Comment

A couple from Cloughie:

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."

"Rome wasn't built in a day. But I wasn't on that particuar job."

When Swede Sven Goren Ericksson was appointed England manager:

"At last England have appointed a manager who speaks English better than the players."

When he had to deal with Roy Keane:

"I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard."

And, finally, on dealing with a player who disagrees with him:

"We talk about it for twenty minutes and then we decide I was right."

I remember watching him on "Sportsnight" one Wednesday evening in the 80's and he was Fing hilarious.

Comment

Brian Johnston's

Test match...

Tony Greig is at second slip, legs wide apart, hands on hips, bending over, waiting for a tickle...

Illingworth is relieving himself at the Pavillion End...

Finally...

5th ball of an over, the batsman recieves a direct hit on the Box (cousins should google 'cricket box'). After a delay for the player to recover, he stood and returned to the crease. Johnston commented...

and he's coming back now, with just one ball left...

Gaz

Comment

British "box" = American "cup" -- like the one that Adrian Beltre should have been wearing a couple of weeks back. I'm suspecting that a lacerated nut really, really, really smarts. Unfortunately, Beltre has yet to speak on the issue, so no quote is currently available, but I'm guessing that he said somthing like, "HOLY SH*T, THAT F*CKING HURTS!" after taking that one-hopper off his sack.
                              Last edited by slick_miester; 25 Aug 09, 11:59.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X