21st Century Swordplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21st Century Swordplay

A big weekend coming up for modern masters of the sword, at least in terms of sport fencing.

The England U20 team leave for Penang in Malasia for the Commonwealth U20 championships.

At the same time, the England U15 foil team goes to Paris for the biggest U15 event in the world, the Paris CEP marathon.

Since my daughter is a member of the former team, but I can't travel to see her fight because I am team manager for the latter team, you will understand that I am fairly heavily invested in all this!

Wish them all luck!

Baldric

Very cool. I fenced epee on a university team for 10 years on and off. Nothing nearly as serious as this. This sounds very exciting.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Just as an aside, I get very uptight when I hear people running down the "modern" generation of kids, as if they were all the same.

All the youngsters involved in both these teams have worked their asses off to get to the position they are now in - representing their country at this level.

When all their mates were out enjoying themselves, they were in the gym or the salle, training. Not just now and then, but every damn day, rain or shine. I have lost count of the number of times I have heard my daughter on the phone to a friend - "no sorry, I can't come to your party because [insert sporting commitment here]"

Its not just this sport, its dozens of others, and tens of thousands of kids, plus of course the parents that enable and bankroll the participation.

At the end of my road, there is a late night store. Some teenagers hang around there - the way teenagers do, drinking and smoking. When we drive past it at midnight, on the way back from training, with my daughter asleep in the seat next to me, I look at these kids and think "thank god for sport".

The active, determined, achieving, kids will be our future. Thankfully. I don't think the crowd outside the store have what it takes to pay my pension.

Baldric

Comment

Good luck to your daughter, you, and both teams!

Very good points about sport.
        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
        _________
        BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Baldric View Post
          Just as an aside, I get very uptight when I hear people running down the "modern" generation of kids, as if they were all the same.
          I thought we were about to get a free-style vs. classical French lecture.
          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
            Very cool. I fenced epee on a university team for 10 years on and off. Nothing nearly as serious as this. This sounds very exciting.
            You fenced on a university team for "10 years on and off"? Must have been quite a program to take so long to graduate!:TRUCE:

I took fencing as one of my PE classes as an undergraduate. I found it very enjoyable, interesting and exciting as well.

Best of luck to you, yours and your teams Baldric!

Regards,
            Dennis
            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X