Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why I've Retired From Coaching Baseball....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    CP, I gave up coaching HS football for some of the very reasons you stated in your first post. Parents who don't give one second of time to their kids yet are in the stands all over the coaches because we were losing. It's demoralizing! For four years I spent my summers and falls coaching, driving 40 miles round trip to practice and home games and even doing Saturday reserve games and then to get treated like dirt from the "fans"? Not for me. It got so bad my last year that one of our younger coaches(23) went into the stands after someone who was berating his father! for the son's supposed lack of coaching skills. That was the last straw for me. And I was looking into coaching football at the Little League level but from what I hear and read, it's worse there than in HS.

PS-have you ever noticed that it's always the coaches fault for losing? No one ever says their kids suck at football!
    I can commiserate completely! It's funny - We just took the entire ball team and their families to a Royal's game yesterday...complete with tailgating and everything, and we had the best time ever. For once, every kid on the team gets along great, and every parent is involved with their kids and supports the coaches. If it wasn't for the "other" teams, it would be perfect!

Anyway, I'm already planning next year's involvement. I just bought a used PDA and will be buying the "Turbostat" software so I can score games live then upload them to create a "play-byplay" for each game for those that can't always make it to the ballpark. I'm looking forward to designing next year's uniforms as well! I will also be able to help coach at practices, so I'll still get my baseball jones on.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      Curt,

I used to coach the other side of the coin, Girls! The only way I would work with boys is with my grandsons' team. I did it for several years, but they moved to Texas and it is not possible anymore. I think you are taking the better route. Work with the kids in practice and let other adults handle the bases during the game. You may be a bit burnt out to react like that.

My daughter broke her ankle again playing adult slow pitch when the 1b on the other team did not know how to play the bag and my daughter tried not to hurt her. I told my daughter that if she ever played again (doubtful, that is the second time on that ankle!), I would fully expect her to kick that 1b's ankle on the bag right about where it sticks out. Too many people put others at risk by immoral play.

I have always preferred to work with girls. They aren't living a parents fantasy about a future major league career and I told the parents I was laid back and training their girls for a future Church League career! I would recommend that if you work with older girls not to get "touchy feely"!

My best job of coaching was not on my championship teams. It was my 5 and 5 team that took third in the 4th of July tournament after knocking out the league champs (we were knocked out by an all star team from Lake Charles next game).

Pruitt
      Yep, that's my plan for now. I have no interest in coaching girls, but have in the past on a coed softball team - no problems with doing it, just no real motivation. I do find that girls are smarter and harder-working than boys at this age, and you can see it in the fastpitch leagues around here.

Oh well, time to be an involved spectator and concentrate on the admin stuff!

Comment

I coached/umped seven years of T-ball (T-ball mind you) from 1990 through the 1996 season. My youngest kid could still have played one more year but I was so feed up with parents who had absolutely no self control and loved to whine and complain about every decision made by every coach and even berating the kids, and not just their own, that when my daughter decided she didn't want to play a second year I was so happy I didn't try to talk her into playing. IMHO many kids today are whiney coddled brats because their parents were whiney coddled brats. The parents don't know any better so the kids for the most part don't learn any better. One of the few non-religious youth organizations that seems to help stem the tide of youth stupidity is the Scout program. The parents of the boys and girls tend to be a cut above the ususal sheeple on the street, for the most part. Of course it's not cool to be a Boy Scout these days. If I remember my numbers correctly, back in the 1950's and '60's something like 25% of youth had some experience with the Scouts. Today it is somwhere around 10%. I've been a Scout leader erfor some 18 years now, and I'm looking forward to some 18 more.
        Those that forget history are condemed to repeat it.
        If you're going to be one you might as well be a BIG RED ONE

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X