Live or television?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live or television?

Some sports are IMHO better on the tube and some are better in person. Some don't translate well to the screen, others have you sitting so far away from the court/field/pitch that no amount of atmosphere makes up for the fact that you don't really see much. What are your preferences?

Personally:
    Baseball - strongly prefer live
    Ice Hockey - very strongly prefer live
    American Football - prefer television
    Basketball - prefer television
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Live for all sports, period. There is always something that one can see live in how a situation develops that the camera doesn't pick up. You can see positioning, open recievers, the wing streaking up the opposite side of the ice etc that the camera never picks up on unlessor until a ball, puck etc is passed to that player.
    Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

I enjoy the tv , because I can basically have anything I need handy and
      can see replays of any missed action. Although I really enjoy live action, all
      the getting to the game, your seat and appropriate munchies can be quite a
      hassle.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Basketball = TV
        Football (USA) = Live
        Hockey = Both
        Baseball = Both
        Soccer = TV

Comment

I only watch three sports and none of them are ever televised. So, live.
          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Live for me!

In the AFL(Australian Football League) before the umpire bounces the ball he has to wait for a light in the stands to flash, this tells him that the ads on TV are finished!
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung baby View Post
              Live for me!

In the AFL(Australian Football League) before the umpire bounces the ball he has to wait for a light in the stands to flash, this tells him that the ads on TV are finished!
              Same in the US, I'm sure, although the only place where I've been able to pick it out is during Natonal Hockey League games.
              "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Comment

AFL live is way better than on TV - too much happens off the ball for a full appreciation to be gained on camera.

Cricket, on the other hand...
                Colonel Summers' widely quoted critique of US strategy in the Vietnam War is having a modest vogue...it is poor history, poor strategy, and poor Clausewitz to boot - Robet Komer, Survival, 27:2, p. 94.

Comment

Well, I guess I'm an odd man out. I have been a sports fan since my first SF Giants game in the early 70's. While I really enjoyed playing the sports more than watching them, I prefer TV for sports like NFL Football. For baseball, it almost HAS to be live in the park. I've only been to a couple of NBA games, but like NHL hockey and soccer, another "Must see on TV" sport.

The biggest drawback to anything live is the cost. The next would be the weather...anyone who's gone to a KC Chiefs or a Packers game in the middle of December can back me up on this.

Comment

For NASCAR, nothing beats being their live for the raw power and noise from 43, 800 HP stockcars. This atmosphere is very unique and exciting to see live.

However, watching a race on TV is always easier to keep up with what is going on, such as the position of all drivers and other useful info.

By watching one on TV, you basically know everything going on, and have really good views and pictures of the racing. You don't get this all the time live, but the tradeoff is the atmosphere.
                    You called down the thunder, well now you've got it! You see that? It says United States Marshal! I see a red sash, I kill the man wearin' it! So run, tell all the other curs the law's comin'! You tell 'em I'M coming...and hell's coming with me.

Comment

Originally posted by CPangracs View Post
                      Well, I guess I'm an odd man out. I have been a sports fan since my first SF Giants game in the early 70's. While I really enjoyed playing the sports more than watching them, I prefer TV for sports like NFL Football. For baseball, it almost HAS to be live in the park. I've only been to a couple of NBA games, but like NHL hockey and soccer, another "Must see on TV" sport.

The biggest drawback to anything live is the cost. The next would be the weather...anyone who's gone to a KC Chiefs or a Packers game in the middle of December can back me up on this.
                      Now see I can't wait this year for the Chicago Blackhakws vs Detroit Red Wings game on New Years Day in Chicago, outside at Wrigley Field. I don't care what the weather is gonna be like I am there. The cost might set me back a bit, but this is one of those events you really like to be able to say, "Yeah, I was there". At least in my mind it is.
                      Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Originally posted by F4UCorsair View Post
                        Some sports are IMHO better on the tube and some are better in person. Some don't translate well to the screen, others have you sitting so far away from the court/field/pitch that no amount of atmosphere makes up for the fact that you don't really see much. What are your preferences?

Personally:
                        Baseball - strongly prefer live
                        Ice Hockey - very strongly prefer live
                        American Football - prefer television
                        Basketball - prefer television
                        Baseball - Without a doubt - Live.

Ice Hockey - I can go either way...But if the seats are just above the glass near the penalty box...live is awesome.

Real Football - TV...Live is just too expensive, too crowded, too hot, cold or rainy.

Soccer - Outdoor - just too darn boring to watch. Indoor - Live...It's like a cross between ice hockey and pinball.

Basketball - TV...I can switch the channel to golf.

Golf - Live...The scenery is incredible...The courses are nice too...

Curling - TV or Live - as long as it's in a pub.
                        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X