Elway should not have retired before three-peat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway should not have retired before three-peat

John Elway could have been the first NFL quarterback to win three straight Superbowls, was it physical condition or selfishnes that led to him walking out on Bronco fans?
    "America has gone to hell since John Wayne died". - Al Bundy

"One finger is all any real American needs"

"A gesture is worth a thousand words - but you usually only need two"

Can tell, I do know I like his dinamyte arm. He was one of the great that ever played the game.
    All warfare is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

How could his retiring be selfish? Doesn't he deny himself additional opportunities for glory at the same time?

Wear and tear on the body caused the retirement of most professional athletes. With each passing season the time to recover becomes longer and the process of maintaining condition more difficult as age progresses.

This cycle is cited by dozens of professionals in their retirement speeches.
      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Refresh my memory. What was the condition of his lines at that point? Always undersized, they took a beating along with him and he may have assessed the team as a whole was not up to the task. I'm sure he had his reasons.
        Last edited by F4UCorsair; 16 Jul 08, 05:03. Reason: grammar
        "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Comment

"They walked away champions."

Originally posted by mojolocobell99 View Post
          John Elway could have been the first NFL quarterback to win three straight Superbowls, was it physical condition or selfishness that led to him walking out on Bronco fans?
          I'm not quite sure, but if my mind serves me correctly, correct me if I'm wrong, Elway was Super Bowl MVP, the Broncos were NFL Champions, and he wanted to retire on top.
          Sort of like the TV show Seinfeld retiring on top too.

"Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by mojolocobell99 View Post
            John Elway could have been the first NFL quarterback to win three straight Superbowls, was it physical condition or selfishnes that led to him walking out on Bronco fans?
            I live in Denver, and everyone thought he made the correct decision. He wasn't a young spring chicken anymore, and he went out after winning the Super Bowl and the Broncos had their best season ever. I don't think the Broncos would have won 3 Super Bowls in a row even if he had stayed. It's hard to play at that high of a level in the NFL to win the Super Bowl 3 times in a row. It's hard enough doing it twice in a row, let alone 3 times. What really hurt the Broncos after Elway left was Terrell Davis wasn't the same running back he was when the Broncos won their 2 Super Bowls. Having a great running back really helped out Elway.

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do
            Life's been good to me so far" 'Life's Been Good'

Comment

Seinfeld, miss it too. LOL!
              All warfare is based on deception.
              Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
                I live in Denver, and everyone thought he made the correct decision. He wasn't a young spring chicken anymore, and he went out after winning the Super Bowl and the Broncos had their best season ever. I don't think the Broncos would have won 3 Super Bowls in a row even if he had stayed. It's hard to play at that high of a level in the NFL to win the Super Bowl 3 times in a row. It's hard enough doing it twice in a row, let alone 3 times. What really hurt the Broncos after Elway left was Terrell Davis wasn't the same running back he was when the Broncos won their 2 Super Bowls. Having a great running back really helped out Elway.

Absolutely. I was a huge Broncos fan for about 10 years starting in 81 and you really couldn't argue with the opinion at the time that they were pretty much a one trick pony. Stop their passing game and you killed them dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
                  Absolutely. I was a huge Broncos fan for about 10 years starting in 81 and you really couldn't argue with the opinion at the time that they were pretty much a one trick pony. Stop their passing game and you killed them dead.
                  Good post. I also think that Shannon Sharpe really played a big part in their success too. He was an incredible blocker as well as receiver. The amazing thing about Terrell Davis is that I don't even remember him being that good in college, and for 3 years he was incredible.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X