No announcement yet.

Hockey 2018-2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how long would it take -- and how many blades would I have to ruin -- before one can become proficient in sharpening skates?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      So how long would it take -- and how many blades would I have to ruin -- before one can become proficient in sharpening skates?
      Er, millions?

62769520_1_x.jpg?version=1&width=512&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=50.jpg
      "I am Groot"
      - Groot

Comment

I don't want to spend no $1,000 for what's in essence a preprogrammed milling machine.

Milling is a skill that can be learned -- as I'm finding out to the tune of $10 per eight hours of ice time.

Comment

Buffalo Sabres led by Jack Eichel are a dominating team this year. Their historic 10 game win streak shows this.

Go Sabres.
          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

^ Sabes look for real this year. Very exciting.

Comment

I gotta drive out to Jersey tonight for one of Jr's games, and all the way up past Nyack on Sunday . . . . in the snow . . . . and I have to get Jr's skates sharpened again!

Comment

I gotta drive out to Jersey tonight for one of Jr's games, and all the way up past Nyack on Sunday . . . . in the snow . . . . and I have to get Jr's skates sharpened again!
                Good luck hope jr does well.

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

So Jr's been on a tear of late. His first goal yesterday was a gem: forechecking down the left wing, he beat the defenseman to the corner, then just shrugged him off like a dog shedding a flea, passed up to the halfboard to his center, darted to the top of the crease, and then deflected his centerman's shot to the 2 hole. In one play, he out-skated, out-muscled, out-worked, out-led, and out-thought his opposition.

I'm getting calls from well-known hockey schools Upstate -- and this morning got another one from New Hampshire, as well. High school hockey is virtually non-existent here in The City. It just so happens that he can quality for some of the top academic high schools in the country by staying home -- and he's got a real yen for STEM. It would kill me to send him away, but if he goes Upstate at least he'll be near his cousins, but if he stays here . . . .

Comment

Go Jr.!!!!

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm sure that this is going to sound weird, but I'm finding these high schools' recruiting efforts just slightly untoward. All of a sudden my son is being treated like a pretty girl -- and it's raising the fur on the back of my neck. It would seem that his academic achievements, his intellectual gifts, and the quality of his character are merely incidental to his hockey acumen. Is it strange that this attention is making me uncomfortable?

Comment

I'm sure that this is going to sound weird, but I'm finding these high schools' recruiting efforts just slightly untoward. All of a sudden my son is being treated like a pretty girl -- and it's raising the fur on the back of my neck. It would seem that his academic achievements, his intellectual gifts, and the quality of his character are merely incidental to his hockey acumen. Is it strange that this attention is making me uncomfortable?
                        No, it must be unsettling to see that side of the sport

Comment

Watching Jr play yesterday, and one of the hockey moms really, really, was cheering on her kid. Mrs Slick and I had to work awfully hard to suck in our laughter. Honest to God but you'd have thought that her kid was not only the best hockey player ever, but a whole lot more besides. When the mother cheering on her kid sounds like this

then perhaps she's overdoing it.

Comment

So some of the kids a year or so older than Slick Jr, with whom he used to play roller hockey on asphalt, were in a playoff game the other night out in New Jersey, so me and Jr went to see them. Being as this is roller on blacktop, there's no checking, like in pee wees, only these kids are midgets. Anyways, one of the opposing forwards tried to cut into the slot, and he hopped over one defender's stick -- when his chin landed directly on to another defender's shoulder. Kid was absolutely motionless on the pavement for a good 30 seconds. Out cold. After ultimately recovering his wits and protesting his fitness to both his coach and his referee, he returned to the bench -- and later returned to play.

I'm no neurologist, but based on various media reports over the last decade or so, I've been convinced that when a child loses consciousness, that he not only should be immediately removed from play, but that he should undergo neurological examination IMMEDIATELY. Not later on, not after the game: right fcking now! I mentioned the locale -- New Jersey -- for a reason. About 25 or 30 years ago, a little league infielder was put into the outfield at the last minute. Up to that point he hadn't played in or been instructed in the outfield. Being so unknowing, a fly ball came down and bopped him right on the head, causing serious injury. In response, the State of New Jersey developed a safety course for all youth coaches, regardless of sport. The Rutgers Safety Course is mandatory for all youth coaches in NJ. It's a four or five hour course that covers safety basics: leaving the field when lightening threatens, keeping kids hydrated, and the danger that blows to the head and concussions can represent to children. I'm not a NJ resident, but since our league has clubs in NJ and we play often in NJ, a number of NY coaches think it prudent to take the course anyway, for liability reasons if nothing else. That this coach kept a kid who'd suffered an obvious head shot and who'd also lost consciousness in the game was not only highly questionable, but possibly criminally negligent, as well. Not even the kid's parent raised a concern about his/her child's condition. Are our kids PLAYING sports, or are we deliberately raising gladiators? I can fathom no other rationale for this kind of stupidity.

Comment

So some of the kids a year or so older than Slick Jr, with whom he used to play roller hockey on asphalt, were in a playoff game the other night out in New Jersey, so me and Jr went to see them. Being as this is roller on blacktop, there's no checking, like in pee wees, only these kids are midgets. Anyways, one of the opposing forwards tried to cut into the slot, and he hopped over one defender's stick -- when his chin landed directly on to another defender's shoulder. Kid was absolutely motionless on the pavement for a good 30 seconds. Out cold. After ultimately recovering his wits and protesting his fitness to both his coach and his referee, he returned to the bench -- and later returned to play.

I'm no neurologist, but based on various media reports over the last decade or so, I've been convinced that when a child loses consciousness, that he not only should be immediately removed from play, but that he should undergo neurological examination IMMEDIATELY. Not later on, not after the game: right fcking now! I mentioned the locale -- New Jersey -- for a reason. About 25 or 30 years ago, a little league infielder was put into the outfield at the last minute. Up to that point he hadn't played in or been instructed in the outfield. Being so unknowing, a fly ball came down and bopped him right on the head, causing serious injury. In response, the State of New Jersey developed a safety course for all youth coaches, regardless of sport. The Rutgers Safety Course is mandatory for all youth coaches in NJ. It's a four or five hour course that covers safety basics: leaving the field when lightening threatens, keeping kids hydrated, and the danger that blows to the head and concussions can represent to children. I'm not a NJ resident, but since our league has clubs in NJ and we play often in NJ, a number of NY coaches think it prudent to take the course anyway, for liability reasons if nothing else. That this coach kept a kid who'd suffered an obvious head shot and who'd also lost consciousness in the game was not only highly questionable, but possibly criminally negligent, as well. Not even the kid's parent raised a concern about his/her child's condition. Are our kids PLAYING sports, or are we deliberately raising gladiators? I can fathom no other rationale for this kind of stupidity.
                              I have seen this here with football. It is crazy.

Comment

Saw one of Jr's bantam teammates on ice take a hard hit into the boards a couple of weeks ago. He limped to the bench complaining of a headache. He did not play again that day, but remained on the bench for the remainder of the game. He did play again the next day. I was tempted to question his parents about that, but I was reluctant to play Jiminy Cricket. Maybe I should have . . . .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X