World Cup 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup 2018

There seems a curious lack of interest in this WC. Maybe the football bubble is bursting.
    Anyway cracking Private Eye cover, as usual.

1472_big.jpg

Here on the ACG you mean ?

In my morning paper the WC takes up 8-10 pages every day, I had to look hard to find a picture of Trump and Kim, and everything else, well,

just forget about it for a week or 4.
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

I meant here, England I guess. Just seems less chatter, less flags, less adverts, less excitement than for previous tournaments.
      Perhaps it's the host nation. Not everyones first choice for a fun place to visit.

next one will be worse!

Comment

I personally know of no one who isn't an invité, who's over there now, it's not near like France, or a classic tourist attraction like Brazil, and probably not a cheap trip either...
        High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

In previous WCs many fans have gone on spec hoping to pick up a ticket when there. However unless you already have a ticket when a visa waiver applies getting a visa is a long complex business these days. It was probably actually easier during the USSR days.
          Apparently some people have bought a cheap ticket who don't intend to go to the game, it's easier than getting a tourist visa given the poor relations between the countries and many tourist sites are expected to be deserted during the month its on so its reckoned a good time to go - avoid the crowds.
          Last edited by MarkV; 15 Jun 18, 10:47.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
            I meant here, England I guess. Just seems less chatter, less flags, less adverts, less excitement than for previous tournaments.
            Perhaps it's the host nation. Not everyones first choice for a fun place to visit.

next one will be worse!
            Actually, Russia is a fascinating nation to visit:- for me anyway.

The spherical ball game is ranked third in football codes behind Australia Rules Football and Rugby as far as participation is concerned, but interest seems to be gathering pace, as it always does in any sport when an Australian team is faced with quality opposition.

We are up against France tonight, which does not bode well for the "Socceroos". Still ,everybody is hoping that team spirit and enthusiasm will overcome talent , experience, and skill.

A forlorn hope,probably.

"I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Germans fail in front of Moscow. Can they succeed in a campaign in the South?

Comment

England beat Panama, six to one.

I am beginning to feel optimistic. This is not something that I am used to as an Englishman.
                "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Those were some darned fine plays. I hope they can keep up the intensity.

Thus far, this has been the best Cup for the last 28 years.
                  ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                  2) Enjoy playing it
                  3) Enjoy sharing it
                  4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

Actually, Russia is a fascinating nation to visit:- for me anyway.

The spherical ball game is ranked third in football codes behind Australia Rules Football and Rugby as far as participation is concerned, but interest seems to be gathering pace, as it always does in any sport when an Australian team is faced with quality opposition.

We are up against France tonight, which does not bode well for the "Socceroos". Still ,everybody is hoping that team spirit and enthusiasm will overcome talent , experience, and skill.

A forlorn hope,probably.

France beat Australia: 2-1 which wasn't half bad considering the quality of the opposition.
                    Then the fancied Danish team was held to a 1-1 draw with, wonder-of-wonders , Australia doing most of the attacking,particularly in the second half.
                    Now a must-win game against Peru.
                    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Well after seeing them all play at least once, I feel we have some interesting games coming up, starting with England-Belgium next Thursday

If they draw it may just be the first time ever the yellow card count decides who takes the group.

But more interesting to see will be imho how both teams manage to balance their attacking strength with defence - which wasn't much needed in the first two games...

Comment

The boozer is bouncing, we're in extra time it's 1 - 1...

Herself...

"I didn't know Tunisians were Jewish?"

Me...

"Yes dear."

Herself...

"Just seen them in the crowd all wearing them little red hats."

Me...

"No dear."

Herself...

"Just like he used to wear, that Tommy Cooper."

Me...

"Yes dear."

Herself...

"No they're not Jewish are they?

Me...

"No dear."

Herself...

"They all wear them little black caps, don't they?"

Me...

JEAN!!!

Herself...

"Wot?"

Me...

"SHUT THE F!*K UP!!!!

The long toll of the brave
                        Is not lost in darkness
                        Over the fruitful earth
                        And athwart the seas
                        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

South Korea 2-0 Germany

How sad, Germany are knocked out of the World Cup

a1be073d-94cb-4402-ba60-5dd581cb0167.jpg

Comment

Germany 4 World Cups and the English...
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I was watching the Germany game in a nearby pub here - there's was three of us and we figured something was wrong with the television, kept waiting for them to score and win, even at 2-0 you can't quite believe it

Is Gary Lineker still alive ? We need him to comment...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X