2. The Drive- Browns vs. Broncos 1987
    3. 84-85 Memphis State Tigers basketball team
    4. 1979 Baltimore Orioles/1979 World Series
    5. 1986 California Angels
    6. 1990 Uruguay/1990 World Cup
    7. 1992-93 Kansas Jayhawks
    8. 1996 World Series
    9. 2013 Stanley Cup.
    10. 2013-2014 College Football Championship - Florida State: 34 Auburn University: 31

11. 1994 New York Kicks/1994 NBA Championship

The Summer of '94: the Yankees were in first place, the World Cup was coming to town, I had started my own business, and I had met my wife -- and after twenty-one long and frustrating years, the Knicks were on the verge of the Promised Land. Their fellow Madison Square Garden residents, the Rangers, had just broken their own fifty-four year drought, and even had Capt Mark Messier bring the Stanley Cup on the floor for inspiration, which was appropriate, 'cause the '94 Knicks' brand of ball resembled hockey, only played on hardwood. But alas, that f:censocored:ck-face OJ Simpson just had to interrupt Gm 5 with his lame escape attempt, and John Starks went stone cold in Gm 7 to dash the dream of NBA and NHL champions residing in the same building at the same time. And that, sports fans, was the last time the Knicks mattered worth a damn.

Then MLB shut down the season in a labor dispute and canceled the World Series for the first time since 1903, I sold my business a year later and ultimately went to work for others, and I went on to marry.

Leave a comment:

• slick24
    replied
    13 Sporting Clubs and/or Events in Which You Were Emotionally Invested

1. 1982 Milwaukee Brewers/1982 World Series
    8. 1996 World Series
    9. 2013 Stanley Cup.
    10. 2013-2014 College Football Championship

Florida State: 34 Auburn University: 31

Having gone to both colleges (first 2 at Auburn, then transferred to FSU) I was real interested in this game. Was still pulling for FSU as my whole family graduated from there but I wanted it to be a good game and it was.

Leave a comment:

• Selous
    replied

8. 1996 World Series

9. 2013 Stanley Cup.

- It was an emotional trip for me in some ways, seeing my former fiance again, I was certainly far from my best, and it was the Hawks and the Stanley Cup, and getting into hockey for the first time ever, which was my saving grace and kept things going until I left the US.

Leave a comment:

• dgfred
    replied
    Was it the '93 Phillies and the Wildman coming into close... I can't remember because I have blocked it from my memory .

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied

8. 1996 World Series

It had been eighteen long, frustrating years since that funny looking trophy had been to its proper home. The entire City exploded the moment Charlie Hayes squeezed Mark Lemke's pop-up.

Leave a comment:

• Sgt. Rock
    replied

7. After Keith Lee and Andre Turner left Memphis State, Memphis State got put on probation. I was a huge fan of the NCAA tournament, and my dad was stationed in Kansas, so I started to really get into Kansas basketball since their fans are very passionate about their team. Also some of our friends in the Army had a daughter going to school at KU and we were great friends with them, so I ended up becoming a huge Kansas fan. The 92-93 Kansas team is my favorite Kansas team of all time. Adonis Jordan and Rex Walters are my next favorite basketball players behind Keith Lee and Andre Turner.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied

Home on leave, I ribbed my old Uruguayan friend over Los Charrúas loss to Belgium, which he most certainly did not appreciate. I never saw that old man again: he died that November.

Leave a comment:

• Sgt. Rock
    replied

3. There are quite a few, but I'll start with 84-85 Memphis State Tigers basketball team that reached the Final Four.

5. 1986 California Angels.

I was a huge California Angels fan back in the 80's and I was very excited about the 86 Angels. They won the AL West and were up 3-1 on the Red Sox in the American League Championship series, and in Game 5 went into the top of the 9th looking like they were going to the World Series. And then it all went down hill. With 2 outs, Dave Henderson hit a home run off Donnie Moore and the Red Sox went up. The Angels actually tied the game in the bottom of the ninth, but lost in extra innings. They went back to Boston and lost the last 2. I remember feeling rotten after that, as I really liked that Angels team and thought the California Angels were finally going to the World Series.
    I still remember this photo of the Angels pitching coach trying to console Donnie Moore.

Leave a comment:

• Checkertail20
    replied

3. There are quite a few, but I'll start with 84-85 Memphis State Tigers basketball team that reached the Final Four.

That was when I really started paying attention to baseball and the Orioles had one of those seasons that seemed like it was their year and everything went there way. The Orioles went to the World Series and grabbed a 3 game to 1 lead and then the bottom dropped out and they lost the last three games.

Leave a comment:

• Sgt. Rock
    replied

My dad was in the Army so we moved around a lot. I was usually the only Memphis State fan at my school. They beat their arch rivals Lousville 3 times that year. Memphis State had been beaten by Houston in the past 2 Sweet Sixteens, and finally beat Boston College in the 85 Sweet Sixteen on a last second shot by Andre Turner to end the game. I was screaming at the top of my lungs and was so fired up! Then they beat OU to make it to the Final Four where they were beat by the eventual champs Villanova Wildcats.

Keith Lee is still by far my favorite basketball player!

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied

I was 23 and my brother was 15 and were dancing and chanting "Super Bowl" when the Browns took the lead 20-13 with about 5 minutes left and the Broncos on their own 2. And then Elway went to work. What's forgotten is that The Drive did not win the game but merely took it to overtime. Where the Browns promptly folded like a cheap suit.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied

That was the last time I cried from a sporting event. I really admired Harvey's Wallbangers: their attitude was the best. I hated the Cards for years after that. At least Juaquin Anduhar was proved a punk before a national audience.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Baseball stadiums that no longer exist

1. Ebbets Field
    2. Forbes Field
    3. Hilltop Park
    4. Bobby Maduro (Miami) Stadium
    5. Shea Stadium
    6. Yankee Stadium -- the Real Stadium
    7. Briggs Stadium where the Detroit Tigers played.
    8. Polo Grounds
    9. Mile High Stadium
    10. St George Cricket Ground
    11. Washington Park
    12. Cleveland Municipal Stadium

13. Wrigley Field

Not Chicago, but Los Angeles CA.

LA's Wrigley Field hosted the expansion Angels for one year, in 1961. Real baseball fans will recognize it as the home of the original Home Run Derby series.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied

1. Ebbets Field
    2. Forbes Field
    3. Hilltop Park
    5. Shea Stadium
    8. Polo Grounds
    9. Mile High Stadium
    11. Washington Park

12. Cleveland Municipal Stadium

(Thank God it's gone)

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied

1. Ebbets Field
    2. Forbes Field
    3. Hilltop Park
    5. Shea Stadium
    8. Polo Grounds
    9. Mile High Stadium

11. Washington Park

Home of the Brooklyn Dodgers before they moved to Ebbets Field, as well as a Federal League franchise in the 1920s.

The only surviving piece of Washington Park is this outer wall of a Con Ed maintenance yard.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X