Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baker's Dozen of Sports

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    Forgive me but who is that?

    It's not Stargell, he's in the HoF.
    Sorry about that ... I glanced at the big lefthander, saw Three Rivers mentioned and didn't look at the figure too well.... thought Stargell, oops.
    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

    Comment


    • #77
      Looks like at St Louis hat???
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by dgfred View Post
        Sorry about that ... I glanced at the big lefthander, saw Three Rivers mentioned and didn't look at the figure too well.... thought Stargell, oops.
        Your eyes are still fine. It is Willie. I know he's in the HOF. That was about liking to watch big men swing the bat. Most all the great ones are in the HOF.

        Regards,
        Dennis
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

        Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

        Comment


        • #79
          13 Players most deserving to be in, but omitted from the Baseball Hall of Fame

          1. Mark McGwire
          2. My hero, Dale Murphy
          3. Elroy Face
          4. Del Unser
          5. The Captain - Thurman Munson
          6. Frank Howard - "The Capital Punisher"

          7. Sparky Lyle



          Perhaps with an ERA of 2.88, lower than both Goose Gossage (3.01) and Rollie Fingers (2.90) can not an argument be made that the co-author of The Bronx Zoo deserves a plaque in Cooperstown?
          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            13 Players most deserving to be in, but omitted from the Baseball Hall of Fame

            1. Mark McGwire
            2. My hero, Dale Murphy
            3. Elroy Face
            4. Del Unser
            5. The Captain - Thurman Munson
            6. Frank Howard - "The Capital Punisher"

            7. Sparky Lyle



            Perhaps with an ERA of 2.88, lower than both Goose Gossage (3.01) and Rollie Fingers (2.90) can not an argument be made that the co-author of The Bronx Zoo deserves a plaque in Cooperstown?
            If there is ANY justice you gotta put Sparky in just for his 'stache!
            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

            Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

            Comment


            • #81
              I know that I entered tha last one on this thread, but since I'm in serious need of a basball fix, can we tweak the rules a bit. My next nominee never played in New York, so you'll all surely be surprised by that.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

              Comment


              • #82
                I'm ok with it. After all the forum police is pretty friendly.
                Go for it.
                All warfare is based on deception.
                Sun Tzu - Art of war - Chapter One - Laying Plans


                Comment


                • #83
                  If there are no objections:

                  13 Players most deserving to be in, but omitted from the Baseball Hall of Fame

                  1. Mark McGwire
                  2. My hero, Dale Murphy
                  3. Elroy Face
                  4. Del Unser
                  5. The Captain - Thurman Munson
                  6. Frank Howard - "The Capital Punisher"
                  7. Sparky Lyle

                  8. Bert Blyleven



                  I was stunned to recently learn that this guy was not in the Hall. He's the only pitcher with over 3,000 strikeouts whose not in. What the hell are the baseball writers doing? This one is really a no-brainer: Blyleven was one of the nastiest pitchers of all times, and his postseason stats are just as good. What gives?
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Blyleven had perhaps his best years with the Pirates, yeah I know how weird that sounds in light of the past 17 years and counting. He had IMO the outstanding curveball of his generation. I've go to agree completely with his inclusion on this list.

                    Nice list so far, well, except for RoidGuire.
                    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

                    Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                      If there are no objections:

                      13 Players most deserving to be in, but omitted from the Baseball Hall of Fame

                      1. Mark McGwire
                      2. My hero, Dale Murphy
                      3. Elroy Face
                      4. Del Unser
                      5. The Captain - Thurman Munson
                      6. Frank Howard - "The Capital Punisher"
                      7. Sparky Lyle

                      8. Bert Blyleven



                      I was stunned to recently learn that this guy was not in the Hall. He's the only pitcher with over 3,000 strikeouts whose not in. What the hell are the baseball writers doing? This one is really a no-brainer: Blyleven was one of the nastiest pitchers of all times, and his postseason stats are just as good. What gives?
                      I'm not sure where I stand on Blyleven. Some days I think yes, other days I think no. But here is a pretty compelling case for inclusion:

                      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ven/index.html

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        13 Players most deserving to be in, but omitted from the Baseball Hall of Fame

                        1. Mark McGwire
                        2. My hero, Dale Murphy
                        3. Elroy Face
                        4. Del Unser
                        5. The Captain - Thurman Munson
                        6. Frank Howard - "The Capital Punisher"
                        7. Sparky Lyle
                        8. Bert Blyleven

                        9. Tim Raines

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                          13 Players most deserving to be in, but omitted from the Baseball Hall of Fame

                          . . . .
                          9. Tim Raines
                          The Rock. I liked him. He had all the skills, and the attitude, to boot. Say what you want, he was always compelling: you couldn't take your eyes off of him whenever he was on the field, even when he had lost a step to age, injury, and hard living during his final days in the Bronx. Perhaps it was his admission that he slid head-first to avoid damaging his vials of cocaine that will keep him out of the Hall.



                          Last edited by slick_miester; 04 Jan 10, 13:17.
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            The Rock. I liked him. He had all the skills, and the attitude, to boot. Say what you want, he was always compelling: you couldn't take your eyes off of him whenever he was on the field, even when he had lost a step to age, injury, and hard living during his final days in the Bronx. Perhaps it was his admission that he slid head-first to avoid damaging his vials of cocaine that will keep him out of the Hall.




                            Comment


                            • #89
                              13 Players most deserving to be in, but omitted from the Baseball Hall of Fame

                              1. Mark McGwire
                              2. My hero, Dale Murphy
                              3. Elroy Face
                              4. Del Unser
                              5. The Captain - Thurman Munson
                              6. Frank Howard - "The Capital Punisher"
                              7. Sparky Lyle
                              8. Bert Blyleven
                              9. Tim Raines

                              10. "The Warrior" - Paul O'Neill

                              While his career numbers are only so-so, he not only won a batting title (for the shortened 1994 season) but he definitely brought those intagibles to every club he played with, and he made them winners. The five World Series rings speak for themselves. Watching him on a day-in-day-out basis, one grew to appreciate not only his hitting and his defense (which were both well above average) but his attitude -- to accept nothing less than the best -- rubbed off on his teamates. O'Neill's desire to win became his team's desire to win, and it showed. Did he post giant numbers? Not really, but neither did Billy Martin, Phil Rizzuto, or Pee Wee Reese: all of whom were noted for decidedly improving their teams, and doing the little things that led to victory. For that, George Steinbrenner dubbed Paul O'Neill his "warrior," and there were few players that I enjoyed watching more.

                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Quick, some one post another, 'cause I got a real doozy.
                                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X