Hockey Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey Fans

Who is your favorite NHL Team and who will win this years Stanley Cup??
    "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
    - Col. David Hackworth

I've always been a Bruins fan but I'd like to see Anaheim in there again.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Hurricanes baby, on both counts .
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

A die hard Chicago blackhawks fan, finally there seems to be a glint of light at the end of the tunnel for us. We finally have a coaching staff that seems to understand how the game has evolved over the last couple years. We also have some really outstanding young talent that have shown great promise in Toews, Sharp and Kane. Also a general manager and owner who have for the first time that I can ever remember have flat out come out and said we want to win the Stanley Cup. The old ownership never not once said this in the press. It was always we want to compete or make the it to the playoffs, but never we want to win the Cup. As for this current year, I think it quite possible we could see Anahiem back in cup, but as years past have shown, once the playoffs start, a hot goaltender can lift a team out of the 8 seed and carry his club all the way through. No matter what, we are gonna see some great hockey come playoff time.
        Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Ottawa Senators all the way!

Although...

They started the season like a house on fire but have since gone into a dismal tailspin. Just fired the coach after two straight shut-out losses and the GM Bryan Murray has taken over the coaching reins again. Time will tell if he can turn things around.

Goaltending sucks just like I predicted it would at the beginning of season. For some strange reason, Sens upper management couldn't see it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
            Come on Delta, you can't start this thing and not tell us who you're rooting for !

How come I think you're in Vancouver and therefore going for the Canucks? Am I right?

Comment

True on my local but the Canucks are in second place for me, behind the Montreal Canadians. The Canadians in the 60's and 70's were absolutely the greatest. I must say that Chicago Blackhawks has always been a favorite too, as were the Flyers during their cup seasons in the 70's. Anaheim Ducks is worthy of respect now and I enjoy watching them play.
              I have always enjoyed hockey but up here in Canada, it is like a religion. The excitement in the buildings is terrific. My wife is Canadian and her family are hockey nuts to the tenth extreme. We are here to look after her parents now as they enter their 90's and are still going strong. We were in Point Roberts for quite a while but I hate commuting through the traffic. It is very beautiful up here and the people are very nice.

Go Canadians, then Canucks, then Hawks and Ducks. That's my order.
              "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
              - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

The Canadians in the 60's and 70's were absolutely the greatest.
                I grew up watching and rooting for those guys before the Sens came back to town (lived in Ottawa for a number of years), only one word to describe the Habs from those days - Magnifique!

Always had a bit of a soft spot for Chicago, may sound stupid but it's probably because they have the best looking jersey in all of sports, especially the whites! Can't beat that Blackhawk logo on the front.

Ducks made mince meat of my Sens during Cup last year , we definately needed more muscle, getting Commodore may help in that regard

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
                  I grew up watching and rooting for those guys before the Sens came back to town (lived in Ottawa for a number of years), only one word to describe the Habs from those days - Magnifique!

Always had a bit of a soft spot for Chicago, may sound stupid but it's probably because they have the best looking jersey in all of sports, especially the whites! Can't beat that Blackhawk logo on the front....
                  Interesting that it is the white jersey that you like so much as here in Chicago amongst what few hockey fans are left here it is generally the red jersey that is appreciated the most and seen the least (unless you attend home games) since until next year it will have been 20+ years since home games have been televised other than special occasions. I hate to equate happiness with anyones death but the passing of owner William Wirtz just prior to this season and his son Rocky's taking over may have been the best thing that could have happened to the franchise for it finally seems on the road to recovery.
                  Bill

Billy Currington

Comment

Originally posted by cst784 View Post
                    Interesting that it is the white jersey that you like so much as here in Chicago amongst what few hockey fans are left here it is generally the red jersey that is appreciated the most and seen the least (unless you attend home games) since until next year it will have been 20+ years since home games have been televised other than special occasions. I hate to equate happiness with anyones death but the passing of owner William Wirtz just prior to this season and his son Rocky's taking over may have been the best thing that could have happened to the franchise for it finally seems on the road to recovery.
                    I probably made it sound like the jersey was only thing about Chicago I liked--they also had a lot of class acts like the Hulls, Mikita, Savard, Tony O, Stapleton, White etc. Sounds like Chicago fans were at the mercy of an owner who didn't have a clue. Probably driven by ego. Harold Ballard in Toronto was another example. I hope Chicago fans don;t have to wait as long as Leaf fans for the recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by Canuckster View Post
                      I probably made it sound like the jersey was only thing about Chicago I liked--they also had a lot of class acts like the Hulls, Mikita, Savard, Tony O, Stapleton, White etc. Sounds like Chicago fans were at the mercy of an owner who didn't have a clue. Probably driven by ego. Harold Ballard in Toronto was another example. I hope Chicago fans don;t have to wait as long as Leaf fans for the recovery.
                      You hit the nail on the head there, Bill Wirt (the late owner) was so wedded to the old ways running a hockey club that he never did realize that aspects of the game changed as did the fact that in order to keep players around you had to pay them something close to the going rate. Plus he took home games off of TV which not only deprived himself of revenue but also took away his best form of advertisement, the team itself, and consequently started to erode his fan base as an entire generation of kids only ever got to see maybe 1/4 of the games at best. (half road games on west coast = too late for school kids except maybe the 1st period). His son Rocky (new owner) has realized the mistakes and the team is starting to lock up their young talent to long term contracts, put a handful of home games on tv (took the reigns too late and had to take what was available from the network) and has vowed to have a tv deal in place for the team next year. He hired away the Chicago Cubs longtime marketing director and team president John McDonaugh and lets face itthe Cubs knew how to market their team. And what I think just as importantly, he has reached out to the Blackhawk greats such as Hull, Mikita, Tony Esposito and such to come back to the fold and help market the team. Denis Savard in his 2nd year as head coach is making great strides. And as I stated before, everyone I hear interviewed from the owner through the general manager to the coaching staff and players all talk about their ultimate goal being to win the Cup. This is something I haven't heard from other than players here in many years. I think the bus has made the U-turn and is now headed in the right direction.
                      Bill

Billy Currington

Comment

I'm a native Philadelphian. When I was 13, the Flyers won their first of two consecutive Stanley Cups, and we were all hockey nuts. Big time. Consequently, I'm a lifelong Flyers fan. We've seen a lot of success, but not the Cup again. My favorite non-Cup season was 1981, when the Flyers had a 35 game unbeaten streak. Ponder that for a moment...and then they lost to the Islanders in the Cup finals....last year was really hard, but they're showing a lot of improvement this year with a solid nucleus of good young players.

I've also lived in Columbus, OH for 20+ years, and I was a season ticket holder to our ECHL team. When it was announced we were getting an NHL team, a friend of mine and I split a pair of season tickets. This is the first year I have not been to at least 20 Blue Jackets' games, but I've seen nearly all of them on TV. It's been a very slow and exceedingly frustrating process watching this franchise's development, but it's coming. Rick Nash is a world-class player and so is Nikolai Zherdev. Pascal Leclaire, our young goaltender, is as good as anyone in the NHL--he's third in save percentage, third in goals against average, and leads the league in shutouts--and seems to be getting better. With Ken Hitchcock at the helm, I have every reason to expect the improvement to continue. If the Jackets don't make the playoffs this year, I have every reason to believe they will next year, since they just opened up another $11 million in salary cap room to use to sign free agents.

Eric
                        Last edited by Eric Wittenberg; 04 Mar 08, 12:26.
                        "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Comment

Blues were my team last time I paid attention to Hockey.

I suspect that team with the Canadians on it will win the cup.
                          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                          http://www.mormon.org
                          http://www.sca.org
                          http://www.scv.org/
                          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                            Hurricanes baby, on both counts .
                            GO CANES!!!!

Great thing is we are doing better with all the new guys and without Brind'amour. Who's Captain in his absence? Staal? Cole?
                            "We Will Stay Here, If We Must All Go to Hell Together"
                            -Col. John R. Cooke, 27th NC

Avatar: My Grandfather on the right. His twin on the left. Their older brother in the middle. In their Navy Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Airchallenged View Post
                              GO CANES!!!!

Great thing is we are doing better with all the new guys and without Brind'amour. Who's Captain in his absence? Staal? Cole?
                              I think he stays captain, but we still have the two with A on their sweaters.

Things are going good right now, I hope we can hold that MO through the
                              playoffs.
                              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X