Systematic cheating by the Australian cricket team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systematic cheating by the Australian cricket team

The Australian cricket team have been caught cheating in the test series against South Africa. Specifically illegally tampering with the ball. Further evidence has come to light that they also cheated on the last test against England. This is organised cheating by the captain and senior players rather than one offs by individuals.

In any other sport the team would face a lengthy ban from international competition yet these cheating xxxx have only been given a light slap on the wrist. Cricket makes FIFA seem honest.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

I hope they are given a good kicking over this. Smith should, at the minimum, be made to give up the captaincy.

It's often said here that after the Queen the highest office in the land is the captain of the Australian test team. The PM comes a distant third.

He must go, and so should any others involved. If it takes us five years to rebuild then so be it. I'd rather an honest team that loses each test than a cheating one that wins them all. As they say 'it's not cricket'.
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

How Cronje got away with ball tampering back in 1997 is beyond me, at least he fell on his crooked sword eventually. Sure it’s cheating but I can bet any money it’s encouraged if they could get away with it.

Soccer players pretend to be tripped over by their opponent all the time, makes the game look silly, but they will always keep doing it.

Professional sport really sucks sometimes. I’ve had more fun watch my kids play in the under 12s cricket, keen to play just for the fun of it.
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
        How Cronje got away with ball tampering back in 1997 is beyond me, at least he fell on his crooked sword eventually. Sure itís cheating but I can bet any money itís encouraged if they could get away with it.

Soccer players pretend to be tripped over by their opponent all the time, makes the game look silly, but they will always keep doing it.

Professional sport really sucks sometimes. Iíve had more fun watch my kids play in the under 12s cricket, keen to play just for the fun of it.
        You will always be able to point at other people who may have cheated but that is the same as a murderer saying that he shouldnít be punished because someone else killed someone. If cheats are caught they should be punished and be seen to be punished and where relevant the match should be forfeited.
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          You will always be able to point at other people who may have cheated but that is the same as a murderer saying that he shouldnít be punished because someone else killed someone. If cheats are caught they should be punished and be seen to be punished and where relevant the match should be forfeited.
          I wasnít meaning cheaters go unpunished, they should get what they deserve. History is on my side for people keeping on doing it.
          Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

I wasnít meaning cheaters go unpunished, they should get what they deserve. History is on my side for people keeping on doing it.
            Yes, other cheating can always be cited, Mike Atherton's exploits with a bottle top is remembered.

But surely we should be aiming higher than that. Why come down to everybody else's lowest common denominator ? Australia should be true to its credo of playing hard but fair. The whole episode is a total betrayal, and heads should roll:- permanantly.
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
              Yes, other cheating can always be cited, Mike Atherton's exploits with a bottle top is remembered.

But surely we should be aiming higher than that. Why come down to everybody else's lowest common denominator ? Australia should be true to its credo of playing hard but fair. The whole episode is a total betrayal, and heads should roll:- permanantly.
              I guess I just look upon the game in a different light, somewhat pessimistic from what I've said so far, but I too aspire to see cricket continually played fair and competitive.
              History has shown that cheaters will always sneak into the game, but especially in this day and age... those caught will now have a dozen tv cameras zooming in to see what's in your hand. It's very difficult to get away with it, the evidence will be hard to avoid, so that gives me more hope.
              As for the penalties, well at least they might play more state cricket....
              Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

I guess I just look upon the game in a different light, somewhat pessimistic from what I've said so far, but I too aspire to see cricket continually played fair and competitive.
                History has shown that cheaters will always sneak into the game, but especially in this day and age... those caught will now have a dozen tv cameras zooming in to see what's in your hand. It's very difficult to get away with it, the evidence will be hard to avoid, so that gives me more hope.
                As for the penalties, well at least they might play more state cricket....
                Right.
                There might even be more VIctorians in the squad..
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

On a lighter note, it's moments like this that make me sit back and simply enjoy cricket, for what it can be. If you want to be smug on the field, it can come back and bite you on the ass...

Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Was anybody awake to even notice...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      Was anybody awake to even notice...
                      When I looked over this thread, that was the first thing that popped into my head!

Why would anyone cheat at the world's dullest sport?
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Steve Smith and David Warner have been banned from playing for Australia for 12 months, Jim Maxwell is reporting.
                        Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Are the Aussies going to hand back the Ashes now, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
                            Are the Aussies going to hand back the Ashes now, please.
                            There's some in Atherton's pocket, mixed with the dirt...
                            Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                              When I looked over this thread, that was the first thing that popped into my head!

Why would anyone cheat at the world's dullest sport?
                              So Gridiron and Baseball (Played by school-girls in this country) is so popular, that outside the US, they are seen as nothing but as amusing things those Americans' get up-to for a couple of months a year. And as for their racing cars, racing around an oval track, which really shows the competence of US racecar 'heroes' and the even more boring fans that watch it with anti-clockwise gusto......YEAAAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNN!

Paul
                              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                              All human ills he can subdue,
                              Or with a bauble or medal
                              Can win mans heart for you;
                              And many a blessing know to stew
                              To make a megloamaniac bright;
                              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse