Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australians can do what?

Play ice hockey?

It has been 10 years, but Ceri Walker had tears in her eyes as she described the moment she left her 13-year-old son in a foreign country, unsure of what the future held for him. With ice time and opportunities limited in his home of Australia, a 10-year-old Nathan Walker nagged his parents to allow him to pursue his professional hockey dream in Europe. Ceri finally relented three years later, helping Nathan move to the Czech Republic.

She stayed for a few weeks to ease the transition, but then the time came for her to return to Australia and for Nathan to begin the new life he was so sure would work out.

“I left him there, said goodbye, which was the hardest thing I’ve done in my life,” Ceri said. “I still remember his little face on the train station as I pulled out on the train. . . . And what can I say, the rest was history.”

History will indeed be made Saturday night, when Nathan makes his debut for the Washington Capitals, becoming the first Australian to play in the NHL. It will be Sunday morning in Australia, and Ceri said some restaurants there will be hosting watch parties for the game. The Australian ambassador to the United States, aptly named Joe Hockey, will be at Capital One Arena for the occasion. . . . .

"Capitals’ Nathan Walker set to become first Australian NHL player," by Isabelle Khurshudyan, Washington Post, 7 Oct 2017
    Oh yeah. I know me a Digger whose gonna get a knee in his ass and a stick to his face.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

IF he grew up in Czech Hockey I'll bet he gives as well as receives.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      IF he grew up in Czech Hockey I'll bet he gives as well as receives.
      Watched Petr Nedved for years. All he gave were headaches, to his fans and his coaches. Jaromir Jagr was about as equally impressive, especially with his annual spring-time disappearing act.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X