Greatest Combacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Combacks

Last night, though down 4-0 to Paris St Germain after the Paris leg of their UEFA Champions League knockout match, Barcelona not only managed to score six goals at Camp Nou, and to overcome an away tally from Edison Cavani in the 62', but El Blaugrana netted three scores in the match's last eight minutes.

So BBC this morning had callers rate the greatest comebacks of all time. For some reason golf was high on their list. To that end, I nominate the all time greatest comebacks, in no particular order:

1994 NHL Eastern Conference Finals: NY Rangers were down 3 games to 2 in their best-of-seven tilt with their cross-Hudson rivals, the NJ Devils. After tanking Gm 5 in most deplorable fashion, Captain Mark Messier guaranteed a Rangers' win in Gm 6 -- and after being down two to the NHL's toughest defense, the Messiah tallied a natural hat trick. The Rangers went on to win a berth to the Stanley Cup Finals after topping the Devils in double OT in Gm 7 ("Matteau, Matteau, Matteau!") and ultimately went on to lift the Cup after a 54 year drought -- "the waiting is over!" (Still brings tears to my eyes.)

2014 NHL Eastern Conference Semifinals: NY Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins -- Rangers eliminate the Pens after being down 3-1 in the series.

1996 World Series, Gm 4: NY Yankees vs Atlanta Braves -- Yanks down six after three, mount a comeback, culminated by Jim Leyritz's dinger off of country hardballer Todd Worrell. Yanks, after loosing the first two in The Bronx, go on to win four straight and lift the banner after a drought of 18 years.

2003 American League Championship Series Gm 7: Boston Red Sox vs NY Yankees -- Boston up 5-2 in the Bot 8th, Sox manager Grady Little elects to leave in ace hurler Pedro Martinez -- who proceeds to blow the lead. Yanks go on to win on Bret Boone's homer in the Bot 11th off of knuckleballer Tim Wakefield, the last person on the planet who should have pitched in that situation.

1978 AL Eastern Division Playoff: NY Yankees vs Boston Red Sox -- "Bucky Fcking Dent"

Super Bowl XXV: Buffalo Bills vs NY Giants -- "wide right"

1950 World Cup Final: Brazil vs Uruguay -- El Maracanazo

Have I forgotten any, any of note that is?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Greatest comeback is not sporting. Richard Millhouse Nixon - VP, defeated presidential candidate, POTUS. Mind you it didn't end well.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      Last night, though down 4-0 to Paris St Germain after the Paris leg of their UEFA Champions League knockout match, Barcelona not only managed to score six goals at Camp Nou, and to overcome an away tally from Edison Cavani in the 62', but El Blaugrana netted three scores in the match's last eight minutes.

So BBC this morning had callers rate the greatest comebacks of all time. For some reason golf was high on their list. To that end, I nominate the all time greatest comebacks, in no particular order:

1994 NHL Eastern Conference Finals: NY Rangers were down 3 games to 2 in their best-of-seven tilt with their cross-Hudson rivals, the NJ Devils. After tanking Gm 5 in most deplorable fashion, Captain Mark Messier guaranteed a Rangers' win in Gm 6 -- and after being down two to the NHL's toughest defense, the Messiah tallied a natural hat trick. The Rangers went on to win a berth to the Stanley Cup Finals after topping the Devils in double OT in Gm 7 ("Matteau, Matteau, Matteau!") and ultimately went on to lift the Cup after a 54 year drought -- "the waiting is over!" (Still brings tears to my eyes.)

2014 NHL Eastern Conference Semifinals: NY Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins -- Rangers eliminate the Pens after being down 3-1 in the series.

1996 World Series, Gm 4: NY Yankees vs Atlanta Braves -- Yanks down six after three, mount a comeback, culminated by Jim Leyritz's dinger off of country hardballer Todd Worrell. Yanks, after loosing the first two in The Bronx, go on to win four straight and lift the banner after a drought of 18 years.

2003 American League Championship Series Gm 7: Boston Red Sox vs NY Yankees -- Boston up 5-2 in the Bot 8th, Sox manager Grady Little elects to leave in ace hurler Pedro Martinez -- who proceeds to blow the lead. Yanks go on to win on Bret Boone's homer in the Bot 11th off of knuckleballer Tim Wakefield, the last person on the planet who should have pitched in that situation.

1978 AL Eastern Division Playoff: NY Yankees vs Boston Red Sox -- "Bucky Fcking Dent"

Super Bowl XXV: Buffalo Bills vs NY Giants -- "wide right"

1950 World Cup Final: Brazil vs Uruguay -- El Maracanazo

Have I forgotten any, any of note that is?
      Be honest! Apart from 350,000,000 Yanks, Canucks and 70,000,000 Japs, the rest of the world doesn't give a tinkers toss about Baseball (AKA Rounders) Gridiron (AKA dressing up for a fifty-foot cliff jump with time-outs and a rest every 15 minutes). It's Football, Rugby, Cricket, and Golf that dominates world sport.

Barca's win last night was all about a weak referee and cheating.

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
        Be honest! Apart from 350,000,000 Yanks, Canucks and 70,000,000 Japs, the rest of the world doesn't give a tinkers toss about Baseball (AKA Rounders) Gridiron (AKA dressing up for a fifty-foot cliff jump with time-outs and a rest every 15 minutes). It's Football, Rugby, Cricket, and Golf that dominates world sport.
        Sorry about football being on the list: England's got nothing to do with football either.

Rimshot

Paul

Talk about whinging . . . .

How's about boxing. Rocky Marciano vs Jersey Joe Walcott, 23 Sep 1952: after being blinded and knocked down, the Brokton Bomber rocked Jersey Joe with a right that put the reigning heavyweight champ to sleep.

Comment

January 3rd,1993
          Buffalo Bills win a playoff game against the Houston Oilers 41-38 after being down 32 points at the half to win it in OT biggest comeback in NFL playoff history.

Comment

The greatest comeback ever was by me, last week, I was down 50 points in snooker then made 4 blacks and ran all the colours.

Comment

Does the 1980 Miracle count as a comeback? USA was down one after 2 . . . .

Comment

Does the 1980 Miracle count as a comeback? USA was down one after 2 . . . .
                No it does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                  No it does not.
                  But it was against the Soviets . . . . Right about that time, the same side absolutely wiped out 1979's Stanley Cup Finalists.

Comment

But it was against the Soviets . . . . Right about that time, the same side absolutely wiped out 1979's Stanley Cup Finalists.
                    That doesn't matter.

Comment

Sorry about football being on the list: England's got nothing to do with football either.
                      Umm! It's the cradle of the game. England are part of a select few who have won the World cup. Our league is the best in the World.

You forgot a picture of Iceland.

Talk about whinging . . . .
                      Well stop it then!

How's about boxing. Rocky Marciano vs Jersey Joe Walcott, 23 Sep 1952: after being blinded and knocked down, the Brokton Bomber rocked Jersey Joe with a right that put the reigning heavyweight champ to sleep.
                      Yup! Rocky Marciano, the Greatest of them all as far as I'm concerned, and that greatness was shown in that fight and his blistering round one K.O in the rematch.

Paul
                      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 11 Mar 17, 23:51.
                      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                      All human ills he can subdue,
                      Or with a bauble or medal
                      Can win mans heart for you;
                      And many a blessing know to stew
                      To make a megloamaniac bright;
                      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor:knocked with 2 seconds to go

Comment

Super Bowl LI Patriots recent win.

Comment

Nwankwo Kanu: from cardiac surgery to top of the heap with both Inter and Arsenal.

Comment

You forgot ...

Paul
                              ... Field Hockey, under its many different names and forms over time. Then one cold winter's day the peasants substituted a cow turd for the hacky sack affair they were using, and made history!
                              "I am Groot"
                              - Groot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Beirut
                                by casanova
                                A awful, dedoerate situation for the population in Beirut, Libanon. A Amoniumnitrat-explosion was the cause of the catastrophe....
                                Today, 23:35
                              • AntiWarmanCake8
                                Battlefields
                                by AntiWarmanCake8
                                One day in the far future I like to visit some Napoleonic battlefields. Does anyone have any ones they would share?

I would like to visit:...
                                Today, 20:27
                              • AntiWarmanCake8
                                COVID-19
                                by AntiWarmanCake8
                                So I tested positive for COVID 19 yesterday but I had symptoms since last Thursday, probably got pneumonia in my left lung. Been resting at home, quarantined...
                                Today, 20:22
                              Working...
                              X