USWNT looking for more money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USWNT looking for more money

The USWNT in soccer believes that their success in international play warrants a change in their pay. Many in the country see them as "better" than the men's team. The women conveniently compare 2015 (world cup year for women) for each team and say "look what we did compared to them." The women point to international play performance and state that their performance is superior and justifies increased pay. The fact that they play against inferior teams seems to be ignored (scoring 39-1 against your opposition should be a indication of the lack of quality of your opponent) as well as the fact that the men's team is playing against the best players in the world.

I think the best way to sort out the situation is to have the men play the women. Winner determines the salaries.
    John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Which side earns more for USA Soccer: the women's, or the men's?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Women... by a large margin.

Men are pay as you play... women have some benefits but way smaller salaries.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
        The USWNT in soccer believes that their success in international play warrants a change in their pay. Many in the country see them as "better" than the men's team. The women conveniently compare 2015 (world cup year for women) for each team and say "look what we did compared to them." The women point to international play performance and state that their performance is superior and justifies increased pay. The fact that they play against inferior teams seems to be ignored (scoring 39-1 against your opposition should be a indication of the lack of quality of your opponent) as well as the fact that the men's team is playing against the best players in the world.

I think the best way to sort out the situation is to have the men play the women. Winner determines the salaries.

You sound like you don't think the US women are very good. Inferior teams? You must not watch the matches, you probably just read what the media writes afterwards.

They scored 39-1 against their opponents because there ARE that good. They whupped Columbia 7-0 two days ago. Colombia is one of South America's best-ranked national teams. They are also the third nation of the continent to qualify for World Cup and the Olympics, besides Brazil and Argentina.

Show me where you read the US women played inferior teams, or is that just your own assumption?
        "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
          You sound like you don't think the US women are very good. Inferior teams? You must not watch the matches, you probably just read what the media writes afterwards.

They scored 39-1 against their opponents because there ARE that good. They whupped Columbia 7-0 two days ago. Colombia is one of South America's best-ranked national teams. They are also the third nation of the continent to qualify for World Cup and the Olympics, besides Brazil and Argentina.

Show me where you read the US women played inferior teams, or is that just your own assumption?
          I think the women excel I a mediocre field. I watch the game...when I can find them televised. I get frustrated that more are not televised because I enjoy watching them. Before you try to claim I don't support women's soccer you should know soccer is big in my home, specifically women's soccer.

It is my opinion that they play inferior teams. What does 7-0 tell you? What does 39-0 tell you? These are close matches? When I see scoring like this over and over I conclude that the competition is not on their level. Do you see the females players of South America comparable to the men? Many Messi's, Suarez, Nemer's? Worldwide do you see female players comparable to the men? Where? The men that are payed millions to play for Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester City, PSG, and Bayer Munich (to name just a few) are the men that the US players face. Are there women comparable to this level of play? Please show me the Messis and Ronaldos of womens play. Show me which US women earn comparable salaries to them. What US professionals women's team gets the same public attention the men's teams do (television coverage.)

Feel free to express your OPINION here.
          Last edited by JBark; 08 Apr 16, 19:46.
          John

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post

How do you come to this conclusion? I see the women comparing their numbers in 2015 to the men's. Unless I'm mistaken it is a no brainer that the women will earn more while playing in the World Cup while the men are playing matches that get a bit less attention. Perhaps an apples to apples comparison is available?
            John

Comment

It's good to know not all men are dense.

It doesn't matter that their opponents are not as good as the US women. What matters is the US women’s team draws larger crowds than the men, they attract more sponsors and they want to be paid accordingly, PERIOD.

Anyone who knows anything about women's soccer should know that that we have the best goalie in the world, Hope Solo. She holds several U.S. goalkeeper records including appearances (194), starts (184), wins (148), shutouts (97), wins in a season (26), consecutive minutes played (1,256), and longest undefeated streak (55 games).

The fact is…most of the best female soccer players in the world just happens to be Americans.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

It's good to know not all men are dense.
                It's a shame to see you resorting to insults. I guess if you are insecure in your position this is a typical way to go.
                It doesn't matter that their opponents are not as good as the US women. What matters is the US women’s team draws larger crowds than the men, they attract more sponsors and they want to be paid accordingly, PERIOD.
                You have proof of that? Can you show the numbers please?
                Anyone who knows anything about women's soccer should know that that we have the best goalie in the world, Hope Solo.
                She is clearly a great female keeper (goalie's play hockey, keeper's play soccer) but she could never be rated as better than males, right?
                She holds several U.S. goalkeeper records including appearances (194), starts (184), wins (148), shutouts (97), wins in a season (26), consecutive minutes played (1,256), and longest undefeated streak (55 games).
                These are great numbers, but they are numbers. This doesn't make her better than men. I would love to see the numbers for shots on goal in these games not only to get an appreciation of Solo's performance but of the team's performance and the opposition's capabilities. If Columbia got a handful of poor shots on goal in a 0-7 loss we know that the U.S. was facing a mediocre team and the shutout for Solo has far less meaning. My wife is a keeper and often speaks little of a game where she hardly touches the ball.
                The fact is…most of the best female soccer players in the world just happens to be Americans.
                Since we do have some of the best female players in the world all in one pool and we are a country that spends a fair amount of money training our teams we can be sure that the women are playing teams somewhat below them in ability, hence results like 7-1 or 10-1 games.

World futbol is easily the most popular sport in the world and the players receive salaries equal their ability. The teams they play for spend huge amounts of money training their players and these teams make huge amounts of money on their play. These are the players US men must play. There are no female players of a comparable level that the women play against therefore the women have a better playing record in world play.

Try rating all soccer players of the world on a scale of 1-100. Clearly some of the male teams and players will be rated in the 90's. US men might score in the upper 70's. The US women are going to score lower then the US men so we would put them at about 60? The rest of the women in the world might score 40's to 60's and some below. The fact that the women can face teams they will consistantly beat clearly allows them to get a lot of press and certainly popularity during the time of their more important games. I find it hard to believe they are more popular in this country. I don't like them trying to spread the idea that they are the superior US team; if they had to face decent competition they would have a different view of this.
                John

Comment

Oh, if you check facebook you will see that Carli Lloyd ran the Art Museum steps this morning as her pregame run. Very cool...I was born in NJ and graduated Rutgers also.
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                    How do you come to this conclusion? I see the women comparing their numbers in 2015 to the men's. Unless I'm mistaken it is a no brainer that the women will earn more while playing in the World Cup while the men are playing matches that get a bit less attention. Perhaps an apples to apples comparison is available?
                    It is apples to apples... women's National Team and men's National Team.

Compare their income from matches for each WC year.

As is mostly the case in the USA... a Winner gets more attention than a mediocre team. My numbers come from listening to a lawyer (tom brady's in fact) talk about the differences in pay and benefits between the teams.
                    The women earn waaay more than the men. It is a fact. There pay is different tho as the men get payed for play (games/season) while the women get other benefits (health, etc) that the men do not. So each side sort of agreed to a previous 'contract' but now the women want a new deal with more actual pay/salary.

Of course women do not compare to men in actual play... they don't have to. It is you comparing apples to oranges.

Our men play other nation's best soccer players
                    Our women play against other nation's best female soccer players.

There is no way to compare more even than that.

Comment

Our men play other nation's best soccer players
                      Our women play against other nation's best female soccer players.

There is no way to compare more even than that.
                      If you see this as an even comparison then we disagree greatly. The men play the world's greatest soccer players, the women play far inferior players. pretty simple.
                      John

Comment

Are not the US women playing the best women soccer players in the World?

I think you are looking at this man vs woman when it is man vs man or woman vs woman instead.

Both the women and the men play for the same team - the National Team.

Comment

Comment

"The CONCACAF qualifying tournament was no more than a nuisance for the world champions, who swept five matches by a 23-0 margin."

"...no more than a nuisance..."

Wow, that is some competition. 23-0. Our women were really tested there, eh?
                            John

Comment

Are not the US women playing the best women soccer players in the World?
                              The point I try to make is what is the quality of the the players they play against? The women win matches and get so much attention because their competition is so low. The men play against incredibly talent soccer players, THE BEST in the world.

I think you are looking at this man vs woman when it is man vs man or woman vs woman instead.[/QUOTE]

This discussion isn't man vs woman? We aren't comparing the men's gates vs the women's? We aren't comparing the women's wins vs the men's? Men's pay vs women's?
                              What are you thinking about?
                              John

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X