X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johan Cruyff 1947-2016

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35892775

I'd rather remember him like this:

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

One of the great masters of the game.

Did he make that ball in the first picture - or did he take a dive ?

His glory days were just a bit before my time.
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
      One of the great masters of the game.

Did he make that ball in the first picture - or did he take a dive ?

His glory days were just a bit before my time.
      There wasn't much football on US television in those days, so I didn't get to see much of him play. All I got was the Kaiser and Pelé on Giants Stadium's artificial turf, but still . . . .

Comment

A bit strange - the 70s is not exactly the middle ages, still in those days you did have to watch what the networks decided to show.

Almost unimaginable today.

Well looking at this picture here, I'm now certain he took a dive:

a friendly referee once told me "I never trust one that falls with his hands in the air" - the natural reaction to an unexpected tackle is to hold them in front to break the fall.

The same goes for players that roll more than once after they hit the ground.

WK 1974 Final -

they still managed to lose it though
        Last edited by Snowygerry; 24 Mar 16, 10:47.
        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

A bit strange - the 70s is not exactly the middle ages, still in those days you did have to watch what the networks decided to show.

Almost unimaginable today.
          Back then, we had only three major networks from which to choose, NYC had a half-dozen local broadcasters, and some PBS. And we couldn't take our phones with us everywhere we went.

Well looking at this picture here, I'm now certain he took a dive:

a friendly referee once told me "never trust one that falls with his hands in the air" - the natural reaction to an unexpected tackle is to hold them in front to break the fall.

The same goes for players that roll more than once after they hit the ground.
          It's what the Argentines call futbolistica: cheating with aplomb.

WK 1974 Final -

they still managed to lose it though

Comment

El Salvador: the Most famous living Dutchman

Holland seems to be deeper in mourning for Cruyff
            than it was yesterday because of the terrorist attacks happened in Brussels.

He was my first soccer, we say football, hero when I was 8 or 9 years old in the early 70s.
            He was known as a genius football player, a master coach and a folksy philospopher.

plus some poetry in motion

https://player.vimeo.com/video/160238901
            Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 24 Mar 16, 13:09.
            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

How much did he influence the later Dutch sides, in the '80s with van Basten, Gullit, et al, and Ajax in the '90s: Kluivert, Overmars, et al?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X