X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheBarbarian View Post
    There's more than one kind of "love." The athlete feeds off the enthusiasm and support of the fan base, which in turn increases their desire/ability to perform.
    No doubt, I'm sure that "The Preacher's Daughter" meant it. I just thought it a strange thing to say in the context of blasting the bejusus out of her opponent.

Still "Love conquers all " they say.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheBarbarian
    replied
    Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
    Like I tried to say I'm not "offended".I'm only struck by the odd misuse of the word, certainly with regard to its use in a biblical context.
    Still if you can equate "love" with kicking an opponent in the head, good luck to you,I say.
    There's more than one kind of "love." The athlete feeds off the enthusiasm and support of the fan base, which in turn increases their desire/ability to perform.

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
    He's extremely offended she uses the term love because she's only a fighter and not a glorious soldier. Apparently only they can use the word.
    "He" can speak for himself, thank you.

Like I tried to say I'm not "offended".I'm only struck by the odd misuse of the word, certainly with regard to its use in a biblical context.
    Still if you can equate "love" with kicking an opponent in the head, good luck to you,I say.

Oh, by the way, I don't love you.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheBarbarian View Post
    The support ("love") of the crowd helped spur her to push through and win. It's a bigger factor than you might think, especially in physical sports like MMA. I've personally experienced it many times trying to overcome a tough opponent in (American) football games. The support of the crowd can really buoy the morale of both the team and the individual.
    He's extremely offended she uses the term love because she's only a fighter and not a glorious soldier. Apparently only they can use the word.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheBarbarian
    replied
    Frankly no. There's a world of difference between going to war and fighting in a cage for money.

Come to think of it ,it's arguably a debasement of the word " love" in this context. A fan might admire a contestant, applaud a contestant, but " love"....?
    The support ("love") of the crowd helped spur her to push through and win. It's a bigger factor than you might think, especially in physical sports like MMA. I've personally experienced it many times trying to overcome a tough opponent in (American) football games. The support of the crowd can really buoy the morale of both the team and the individual.

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    It's a rather common use of the term love now. If you want to criticize then apply it to every sport because they have all used phrases such as this. You're playing semantics and refusing to use very simply context clues. Loosen up that brain mate.

Love is being used in this context as support. Anyone with even basic reading skills should be able to realize that.
    "Playing semantics" .? Regardless of my " basic reading skills" -or lack of them- there should exist a respect for the language which baulks at the fundamental disregard for the precise meaning of words.
    Take the word" love" for example.

Every other Sunday, I do duty as a Volunteer Guide at the Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance, an imposing building dedicated to the fallen in two World Wars and other conflicts.
    The very heart of this building is the Sanctuary, and at the heart of the Sanctuary is The Stone of Remembrance, which is actually a surrogate gravestone representing thousands of graves scattered throughout the world.

On this stone is inscribed an inscription taken from the Gospel of St.John.
    "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN " . The full quotation concluded" than this,that a man should lay down his life for his friends".
    That, mon ami, is real meaning of the word love- sacrifice-compassion:
    not the words of some snotty female who makes a living from kicking her opponent in the head.
    If you believe that the difference is merely semantics then you've a lot to learn.
    Last edited by BELGRAVE; 15 Nov 15, 19:42.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    It's a rather common use of the term love now. If you want to criticize then apply it to every sport because they have all used phrases such as this. You're playing semantics and refusing to use very simply context clues. Loosen up that brain mate.

Love is being used in this context as support. Anyone with even basic reading skills should be able to realize that.

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    You're using very little of your thinking skills here.

A soldier can feel love for his country while killing enemies, but a fighter can't feed off the love of fans and be inspired by it?
    Frankly no. There's a world of difference between going to war and fighting in a cage for money.

Come to think of it ,it's arguably a debasement of the word " love" in this context. A fan might admire a contestant, applaud a contestant, but " love"....?

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    It's not a "problem". The woman can say what she likes. It's just the juxtaposition of muttering about "love" in the context of kicking somebody in the head that I find intriguing: amusing even.
    You're using very little of your thinking skills here.

A soldier can feel love for his country while killing enemies, but a fighter can't feed off the love of fans and be inspired by it?

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Holm felt the love of the crowd (yes that's possible) and put on a great show and came out with a win. What is your problem with understanding that?
    It's not a "problem". The woman can say what she likes. It's just the juxtaposition :- muttering about "love" in the context of kicking somebody in the head that I find intriguing: amusing even.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    I think you're missing my point. It's the use of the word "love" that I found incongruous in the light of this particular sport, regardless of what the referee did or did not do. What's " fighter instinct" got to do with love ?
    Holm felt the love of the crowd (yes that's possible) and put on a great show and came out with a win. What is your problem with understanding that?

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    The referee needs to break them up as soon as he realizes that the downed opponent is unable to defend themselves. It's fighter instinct to pounce and continue to deliver damage after a punishing blow. Nothing especially violent or mean about it. It's common in any form of MMA. Finish your opponent once they're hurt.

It's the job of the referee to make sure the fight stops once a fighter can't defend themselves.
    I think you're missing my point. It's the use of the word "love" that I found incongruous in the light of this particular sport, regardless of what the referee did or did not do. What's " fighter instinct" got to do with love ?

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    I just found it odd that somebody could equate the word "love" with the violence that permitted a competitor to continue belting an opponent after she was down and unconscious.

Some accomplishment .
    The referee needs to break them up as soon as he realizes that the downed opponent is unable to defend themselves. It's fighter instinct to pounce and continue to deliver damage after a punishing blow. Nothing especially violent or mean about it. It's common in any form of MMA. Finish your opponent once they're hurt.

It's the job of the referee to make sure the fight stops once a fighter can't defend themselves.

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    I wrestled in high school and college and totally agree with her. The support of the crowd can inspire you to do things other people think you can't accomplish.
    I just found it odd that somebody could equate the word "love" with the violence that permitted a competitor to continue belting an opponent after she was down and unconscious.

Some accomplishment .

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X