Holly Holm Takes Down Ronda Rousey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
    You're using very little of your thinking skills here.

A soldier can feel love for his country while killing enemies, but a fighter can't feed off the love of fans and be inspired by it?
    Frankly no. There's a world of difference between going to war and fighting in a cage for money.

Come to think of it ,it's arguably a debasement of the word " love" in this context. A fan might admire a contestant, applaud a contestant, but " love"....?
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

It's a rather common use of the term love now. If you want to criticize then apply it to every sport because they have all used phrases such as this. You're playing semantics and refusing to use very simply context clues. Loosen up that brain mate.

Love is being used in this context as support. Anyone with even basic reading skills should be able to realize that.
      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

It's a rather common use of the term love now. If you want to criticize then apply it to every sport because they have all used phrases such as this. You're playing semantics and refusing to use very simply context clues. Loosen up that brain mate.

Love is being used in this context as support. Anyone with even basic reading skills should be able to realize that.
        "Playing semantics" .? Regardless of my " basic reading skills" -or lack of them- there should exist a respect for the language which baulks at the fundamental disregard for the precise meaning of words.
        Take the word" love" for example.

Every other Sunday, I do duty as a Volunteer Guide at the Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance, an imposing building dedicated to the fallen in two World Wars and other conflicts.
        The very heart of this building is the Sanctuary, and at the heart of the Sanctuary is The Stone of Remembrance, which is actually a surrogate gravestone representing thousands of graves scattered throughout the world.

On this stone is inscribed an inscription taken from the Gospel of St.John.
        "GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN " . The full quotation concluded" than this,that a man should lay down his life for his friends".
        That, mon ami, is real meaning of the word love- sacrifice-compassion:
        not the words of some snotty female who makes a living from kicking her opponent in the head.
        If you believe that the difference is merely semantics then you've a lot to learn.
        Last edited by BELGRAVE; 15 Nov 15, 19:42.
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
          Frankly no. There's a world of difference between going to war and fighting in a cage for money.

Come to think of it ,it's arguably a debasement of the word " love" in this context. A fan might admire a contestant, applaud a contestant, but " love"....?
          The support ("love") of the crowd helped spur her to push through and win. It's a bigger factor than you might think, especially in physical sports like MMA. I've personally experienced it many times trying to overcome a tough opponent in (American) football games. The support of the crowd can really buoy the morale of both the team and the individual.
          Divine Mercy Sunday: 4/21/2020 (https://www.thedivinemercy.org/message) The Miracle of Lanciano: Jesus' Real Presence (https://web.archive.org/web/20060831...fcontents.html)

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheBarbarian View Post
            The support ("love") of the crowd helped spur her to push through and win. It's a bigger factor than you might think, especially in physical sports like MMA. I've personally experienced it many times trying to overcome a tough opponent in (American) football games. The support of the crowd can really buoy the morale of both the team and the individual.
            He's extremely offended she uses the term love because she's only a fighter and not a glorious soldier. Apparently only they can use the word.
            First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

He's extremely offended she uses the term love because she's only a fighter and not a glorious soldier. Apparently only they can use the word.
              "He" can speak for himself, thank you.

Like I tried to say I'm not "offended".I'm only struck by the odd misuse of the word, certainly with regard to its use in a biblical context.
              Still if you can equate "love" with kicking an opponent in the head, good luck to you,I say.

Oh, by the way, I don't love you.
              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                Like I tried to say I'm not "offended".I'm only struck by the odd misuse of the word, certainly with regard to its use in a biblical context.
                Still if you can equate "love" with kicking an opponent in the head, good luck to you,I say.
                There's more than one kind of "love." The athlete feeds off the enthusiasm and support of the fan base, which in turn increases their desire/ability to perform.
                Divine Mercy Sunday: 4/21/2020 (https://www.thedivinemercy.org/message) The Miracle of Lanciano: Jesus' Real Presence (https://web.archive.org/web/20060831...fcontents.html)

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheBarbarian View Post
                  There's more than one kind of "love." The athlete feeds off the enthusiasm and support of the fan base, which in turn increases their desire/ability to perform.
                  No doubt, I'm sure that "The Preacher's Daughter" meant it. I just thought it a strange thing to say in the context of blasting the bejusus out of her opponent.

Still "Love conquers all " they say.
                  Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• asterix
                    New York AG to sue the NRA
                    by asterix
                    New York Attorney General Letitia James launches lawsuit against the National Rifle Association alleging financial discrepancies:

https...
                    Today, 05:46
                  • casanova
                    Emanuel Macron
                    by casanova
                    The French president Emmanuel Macron visited Beirut, Libanon. He watched the devastation in the city, caused by the Amoniumnitrat explosion....
                    Today, 01:27
                  • casanova
                    Beirut
                    by casanova
                    A awful, dedoerate situation for the population in Beirut, Libanon. A Amoniumnitrat-explosion was the cause of the catastrophe....
                    Yesterday, 23:35
                  Working...
                  X