Best QB of all time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best QB of all time!

Hey guys, I'm baaaach! I know it's been ages, though I was sort of our of sorts for a bit.

Yet I felt compelled to return, and to focus on a subject outside of the military sphere, something that most dudes can relate to and appreciate.

It has to do with the most popularly renowned and glamorous position in American professional sports. You guessed it, the Quarterback position.

My question is, and the whole purpose of this discussion, is who do you think should be deemed and designated as the finest and most effective Quarterback of all time?

Anyone who knows me knows what my choice will be, as it's the man who just won his 4th Super Bowl trophy and 3rd Super Bowl MVP, #12 for the New England Patriots.

That's right, Tom Brady! For no other QB in modern NFL history HAS DONE MORE WITH LESS, as Brady has always had to adjust and adapt to this new crop of above average receivers every two or three years.

For with the exception of one year (2007, when he had Randy Moss and broke several NFL records, including throwing for 50 touchdowns) Brady has never really had any spectacular, All-Star caliber, super talented wide receivers and tight ends to toss to and work with (granted in Wes Welker, Edelman and Gronk he's had some serious talent, all of whom have proven very capable and effective).

Though both Joe Montana and Peyton Manning have always been surrounded by better and more efficient talent, and have always had better wide receivers to throw to, on this consistent basis, thus providing each with an edge that Brady has rarely had.

Yet neither of those two legendary QB Giants, nor any other QB for that matter, has WON AS MUCH or as consistently as Brady has (granted Manning has thrown for more touchdowns and yards over the course of his career).

Also, when one really takes a strong, hard look at statistics, it becomes glaringly obvious that Brady has put up some pretty fantastic and phenomenal numbers himself, as Brady has the 2nd highest career touchdown to interception ratio (right behind Aaron Rodgers), at just over three touchdowns to one interception. For Manning that figure has remained steady at 2.5 to 1 (the same for Montana).

Then there's Brady's very high Quarterback rating for his career, this rating that seems to keep going up (as of the first four games of this NFL season Brady's rating is at this superb and other-worldly 121!).

For although Brady is, as of right now, #6 on the all-time QB rating list (with a career rating of just under 97, right behind Peyton Manning), if he keeps throwing at this pace for the rest of this season and deep into the following one than he will definitely be climbing higher into those lofty ranks, eventually nudging Aaron Rodger's amazing and virtually unparalleled career QB rating of 106 (which is truly jaw-dropping).

Though it should be easy to surmise that if Brady was surrounded by more high caliber receivers and other offensive powerhouses such as Manning and Rodgers could boast of always having, then as of now Brady's QB rating would probably be hovering around 110 as his career average!
    (And when playing indoors, Brady has compiled a better QB rating than Manning, as Brady's rate hovers around 105 when protected from the savage and nasty elements, this awe inspiring figure that is well ahead of Manning's numbers).

People will argue that Manning has a higher career completion percentage than Brady, 65% to 63% respectively. Though once again that can easily be chalked up to having, for the most part, better and more capable wide receivers, and the benefit of having played far more games indoors as opposed to Brady, as Brady often found himself at the mercy of the elements on many occasions
    (miserable weather which no doubt greatly affected Brady's accuracy and overall performance. Hell, if it wasn't for two games of bad and adverse weather during that perfect and mesmerizing 2007 regular season, than Brady's QB rating for that season alone could well have been as high as 125, as opposed to this still astounding and astonishing 117.8!).

And Brady has put up better and more impressive numbers, with this consistently less formidable supporting cast and array of offensive weapons at his immediate disposal, than Montana ever did (whose career QB rating was this high 92, granted it was higher when Montana was playing for San Francisco), WHILE Brady has thrown for more touchdowns and yards throughout the duration of his career than Montana (in just 13 full seasons), surpassing Montana by this considerable long-shot (all while throwing less interceptions and winning more games). More points for Brady over his closest rival!

More-over, AND MOST IMPRESSIVELY, Brady has the highest all time Quarterback winning percentage for the regular season and the playoffs (at 773% and 724% respectively), and that might be the most important statistic of them all, and one in which Brady, in this thoroughly consistent fashion, has been the premier driving force behind.

Then you have those nine AFC championship games that Brady has started and played in, in the 13 full seasons that he has started for the Patriots (not including his first season when he played backup and the 2008 season, in which he played one game before succumbing to his injuries). NINE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES IN 13 SEASONS!! If that's not amazing and astounding, and if that doesn't trigger great respect and admiration, than I have no idea what is, or what would!

That (making it to 9 AFC championship games in 13 seasons), dear NFL connoisseurs, is VIRTUALLY WITHOUT PRECEDENT, AND MIND BOGGLING (and that's a record that not even Montana can come close to matching)!!

Furthermore, Brady has made it to the Superbowl six times in those 13 complete seasons as a starting Quarterback. SIX TIMES IN 13 SEASONS OF FULL PLAY AS A STARTER QB!!

Amazingly, Brady nearly made it once more when the Patriots lost to the Colts during the HARD FOUGHT AND EXCITING 2007 AFC championship game, one whose final score was 38-34, in which the Colts bested the Patriots
    (that's when Manning engineered this magnificent and flawless comeback, after being down by three touchdowns at halftime, to pull his team ahead of the Patriots and head to the Superbowl against a woefully inadequate Chicago Bears squad. Actually, that AFC championship game was, for all intents and purposes, the Superbowl, AS THE PATRIOTS WOULD HAVE bitch slapped the Bears in much the same manner as Manning and his team did!).

Lastly, the Patriots, with Brady in total command (especially during the 2nd half), beat the best defense in the NFL last year to capture another Super Bowl victory, all in dramatic fashion! Hell, Manning, who was the rightful MVP of the 2013 season, got embarrassed and thoroughly routed by that very same team and formidable defense the year before, in the Super Bowl, by something like 43 to 8 (more points for Brady over Manning).

For Manning was on fire all that year, 2013 (handing the Patriots this decisive drubbing in the AFC championship game), as had one of the Greatest and most commendable years that any QB has ever garnered and enjoyed, breaking---actually smashing---the records in two prominent categories, in most touchdowns per season (55) and most passing yards (5477). THAT IS OTHERWORLDLY!!

Yet Brady was able to do the subsequent year what Manning, for all his greatness and talent, was unable to achieve the prior year, mainly by defeating THE BEST AND MOST FEARSOME DEFENSE in the entire NFL, the very same defense that shut Manning down and routed his Denver Broncos in the 2014 Super Bowl (thus giving more points to Brady over Manning in their storied and exhilarating rivalry over the past 14 years).

For Brady's all but perfect 4th quarter performance was the stuff of legend, conducted with a poise, confidence and skill that has almost no parallel in history (Joe Montana's equally amazing and brilliant 4th quarter drive in Super Bowl 43 excepted, as that outstanding 4th quarter performance by Brady's top historical rival was perhaps the greatest and most eye opening come from behind drive in NFL playoff history!).

No doubt Brady's last touchdown drive was one of the finest, most thrilling and most seamlessly executed moments in modern day, American professional sports history. Perfection personified and gloriously manifested!

And, for further emphasis, when Brady made that last touchdown pass to Julian Edelman, my brother Jesse was quick to point out ""Now that's why Brady is better than Manning.""

For with all due respect to Manning's unique greatness and various, record breaking accomplishments, it is an incontrovertible fact that he has consistently **** the bed and collapsed in key playoff games at this rate that is far higher than the cumulative total of Brady's playoff failures, and he has never engineered such an edge of your seat, 4th quarter comeback the way Brady so marvelously did in last year's Super Bowl against the vaunted Sea-hawk's defense
    (granted Manning's 2nd half comeback in the 2007 AFC championship game against the Patriots was also worthy of great praise and admiration, as such a furious and well directed comeback was NO SMALL FEAT, far from that! For the Patriots of that season---although not as redoubtable as the team that they would become the following year and the team that they are now, in 2015---were still a very capable and high caliber squad, and still very tough to beat).

Basically, his tremendous, superbly directed and edge of your seat 4th quarter performance in last year's Super Bowl against this very skilled, aggressive and legendary defense proved beyond all doubt that BRADY IS SIMPLY THE BEST AND MOST FEARED CLUTCH QUARTERBACK IN NFL HISTORY (despite all arguments to the contrary about whether he is the best overall)!

For NO ONE---with the exception of Joe Montana---could rise to the occasion better, and with greater poise, precision and composure, during the big games than Brady (Manning doesn't even come close in that much ballyhooed and revered department). Hands down the GREATEST CLUTCH PLAYER OF ALL TIME!

So there you have it, my take on who I believe to be the best QB of all time (hey, call me biased, though facts are facts and numbers are numbers). Let the debate begin!
    Last edited by Taylor Ahern; 15 Oct 15, 15:27.

The best quarterback in history was none other than Johnny U.

Comment

I would offer that Tom Brady has better receivers than you think. Look what happened to Drew Brees when the Saints traded away Jimmy Graham! Also championship teams are a collection of players. Sure Brady is important, but he needs a stout defense to give him back the ball.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Saying Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback of all time is like saying Lance Armstrong is the greatest cyclist of all time or that Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player.

Besides it's clearly Troy Aikman.

"Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

I dislike T.Brady so hard for me to say him .

My favorite = Dan Marino

The best IMO = Joe Montana

SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

No mention of Otto Graham?
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
              Saying Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback of all time is like saying Lance Armstrong is the greatest cyclist of all time or that Barry Bonds is the greatest baseball player.

Besides it's clearly Troy Aikman.

I agree!
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Y.A. Tittle was pretty good for his time and Fran Tarkenton was exciting to watch.

Comment

As far as quarterbacks I saw play would be Montana.
                  My favorite qb of all time is Jim Plunkett who in my opi ion is very underated and called his own plays.

Comment

Monkey Joe, hands down.
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Anyone but Tom Brady...

Roger Staubach won the Heisman Trophy as a midshipman at the US Naval Academy. Rather than filing a lawsuit to get out of his service contract, Staubach accepted his commission in the US Navy and volunteered for service in Vietnam.

Roger Staubach is the epitome of a great American... who also happened to be a quaterback...
                      He was a 10th-round draft choice. That's the first thing. It speaks to the reality -- laughable in retrospect, fair at the time -- that future Hall of Famer Roger Staubach was considered a genuine risk for any NFL front office. Staubach was a roll of the dice.

And no, there were no positional concerns. This wasn't an Eric Crouch kind of a thing, or people wondering whether Andre Ware's game could translate one level up. Staubach was a Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback for Navy, and no one was suggesting he would have trouble playing QB in Tha League. By consensus, really, it was strictly a question of good versus great.

So why did Staubach fall and fall, to the point that he was still on the big board by the time of the 1964 draft's 10th round? And why, even then, were the Dallas Cowboys questioned over the choice after they made it?

Well, Roger Staubach had a professional handicap. And it was immovable.

He was military.

[...]

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/...teran-nfl-star

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Staubach

Personal note: Despite the fact that I have lived in Dallas County since 1981, consider myself a Texan and have disavowed the State in which I was born, raised and educated, I am not a Cowboys fan... I am a life-long Jets fan. However, the Dallas Cowboys of the Tom Landry & Tex Schramm era truly were "America's Team."

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                        Roger Staubach won the Heisman Trophy as a midshipman at the US Naval Academy. Rather than filing a lawsuit to get out of his service contract, Staubach accepted his commission in the US Navy and volunteered for service in Vietnam. . . . .
                        No doubt: Roger the Dodger was the real deal -- and I was a Steelers fan back in the '70s.

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                        Personal note: Despite the fact that I have lived in Dallas County since 1981, consider myself a Texan and have disavowed the State in which I was born, raised and educated, I am not a Cowboys fan... I am a life-long Jets fan. However, the Dallas Cowboys of the Tom Landry & Tex Schramm era truly were "America's Team."

A Jets fan, a Mets fan, from Connecticut, living in Texas: you'd have a hard time getting laid in a brothel, wouldn't you.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                          No doubt: Roger the Dodger was the real deal -- and I was a Steelers fan back in the '70s.

A Jets fan, a Mets fan, from Connecticut, living in Texas: you'd have a hard time getting laid in a brothel, wouldn't you.
                          Lamar Odom, I am not...
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

The toughest QB has to be Terry Bradshaw, I remember one year he took his team to the SB and won it with three broken ribs, that was the same heat Pat Hayden missed half of the season with a broken little finger...
                            The most underrated QB has to be Earl Morrall, if you don't know why I would say that, you have made my point. Everyone knows who Bob Griese is, and everyone erroneously credits him with the Dolfins undefeated season, but it was Morrall who played QB for the Fins for most of the season that year as Griese broke his leg in the third game of the season and only returned at half time of the AFC championship game when the Fins already had the lead.
                            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

20 touchdowns to 1 interception!!

Thank you, everyone who participated. I really appreciate that. Many great, varied and interesting choices has been put forth (and this particular subject and the various choices emanating from its premier question are quite subjective). Thank you so much everyone!

Though I have to say, I'm still sticking to Brady, at least as the finest and most adaptable QB of the past 20 years. Though that's just my opinion (and both Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are only this smidgen behind him, and maybe his equal in terms of raw talent and throwing prowess).

For this year Brady is off to this other-worldly start, putting up fantastic and nearly unprecedented numbers (20 touchdowns to one lucky interception that resulted from this toss that bobbled out of the hands of one of his prime receivers! 20 touchdowns to one interception, after seven games, is ****ING AMAZING, ****ING AMAZING AND WITHOUT PRECEDENT!).

Also, Brady has garnered this QB rating of over 130 for three games, while his seasonal QB rating as of right now is this spectacular 115 (tied for #2), and he's had only one game where that rating has been below 100 (as it was 94.3, game 6 vs the New York Jets).

Truth be told, if Brady keeps throwing and playing at the rate that he's maintained over the past 7 games, by the end of the season he'll have thrown for at least 5500 yards, 46 touchdowns, two interceptions, all while establishing this potential passer completion percentage of at least 68%, if not higher. His QB rating will be through the roof (maybe reaching 128). Though you have to factor in the variables (and there are many).

Yet all that might be way too optimistic, as such ridiculous and jaw dropping numbers might be too much to hope for, this bridge too far. My prediction is that Brady, barring any major injuries, throws for 44 touchdowns, with no more than 4 interceptions, all while completing at least 66% of his passes, and throwing for at least 5200 yards, in the end achieving this record breaking QB rating of at least 125, if not a bit higher (though who knows?).

Basically, I believe that it's safe to state that Brady and the Patriots are on fire this year.

And Brady is performing and tossing that ball in this fashion and manner, and with this skill and professionalism, that both all time GREATS Joe Montana and Peyton Manning, even during the height of their respective, glorious heydays, could only admire, and even gawk at (TWENTY TOUCHDOWNS TO ONE INTERCEPTION AFTER SEVEN GAMES. THAT IS ASTOUNDING!!).

Though granted all three are spectacular and revolutionary in their own right, in their own respective way, as I GREATLY RESPECT AND ADMIRE MANNING AND MONTANA.

Is Brady on pace to win his third MVP award?? Time will tell (hey, both Andy Dalton and Aaron Rodgers are doing outstanding, and playing very, very, very well). Until then my lads and fellow military history connoisseurs, ROCK ON!
                              Last edited by Taylor Ahern; 02 Nov 15, 12:19.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X