Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dgfred
    replied
    Haha... I have adopted the Cubs somewhat too .

Of course I am a longtime Phillies fan . We have struck desperate times it looks like to me... and more to go .

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
    WHEN we do win the Series, I still believe it will be with Joe Maddon. I will expect a cold, frosty, Dr. Pepper from you naysayers.
    Hmmmmm, weren't you a loyal to the death Braves fan not too long ago?!

I sense a little bit of "I'm a front runner here!" No Dr. Peppers for band wagon fans!

Regards,
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    WHEN we do win the Series, I still believe it will be with Joe Maddon. I will expect a cold, frosty, Dr. Pepper from you naysayers.

Leave a comment:

• dgfred
    replied
    Good story

Leave a comment:

• Taieb el-Okbi
    replied
    Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
    I'm a big time Cub fan, I never liked Sosa, but he was entertaining.
    I am reminded the last few days just how much I hate the Mets.
    I will always have respect for Sammy Sosa. Sosa comes off as a really nice guy to me. Of course its unfortunate to see that steroids have been associated with Sosa. That said about 12 or 15 years ago I attended a Cubs-Pirates game in Pittsburgh...I was watching the players warm up from the 1st base line and in comes Sammy Sosa..Sosa tossed a ball to me as he was coming in. I still have that ball to this day.

Leave a comment:

• Persephone
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    Hating Mets' fans is easy: I've been doing it for years. Nevertheless, the Cubs failed to execute last night: wild pitch, butchering a fly ball, one or two other plays. That's what cost them Gm 3, not some silly curse.

Sounds to me like the 'curse' is still alive & well....

Leave a comment:

• dgfred
    replied
    It is just silly to have starting pitching like the Mets have right now .

Dang, they got it going on ... except for haircuts .

D.Murphy is absolutely 'IN THE ZONE'

Leave a comment:

• D1J1
    replied
    Looks like I'll get my wish for a series winner.....

Anybody
    But
    Cubs

Hang that big L flag up you heads!

Regards,
    Dennis

Leave a comment:

• The Ibis
    replied
    I'm about to go off topic, but since its now very unlikely that the Cubs are going to win the World Series, we might as well use this thread for something else.

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    They haven't *played* baseball since the 1960's... Curt Flood, Marvin Miller, George Steinberenner and free agency killed.the game.
    Who ever thought that you would be in favor of a system that denied people the right to freely bargain for their services? As for "killed the game," I totally disagree. The game is now better than its ever been.

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
    All 4 of the big sports in the USA now pay the players millions of dollars. It is what it is, its the fans who pay the big bucks for the tickets. So where there is demand, the dollars will be dished out.
    The players want their piece of the pie and under the free market system the good Doctor is so fond of, they shouldn't be denied the right to bargain for what they can get. The reason the players can earn what they do is thanks 1) to the efforts of Marvin Miller and Curt Flood and others to overturn the feudal system the owners had imposed and courts had allowed the owners to perpetuate and 2) the fact the pie has grown so huge.

The home run race between McGuire and Sosa during the late 90s was for me the most enjoyable time I have had watching baseball.
    1998 was almost a magic year. The only thing that prevented it from being such is the fact that we were denied the opportunity to see one of the greatest teams of all time (the 98 Yanks) take on a worthy challenger in the World Series (sorry Padres, but you were overmatched). Had Wayne Huizenga not broken up the 97 champion Marlins, we might have had a WS for the ages since the top of the Marlins rotation could have caused the Yanks some problems. But we'll never know. Otherwise 98 was awesome.

I do recognize guys like McGurie, Bonds and Sosa as great talents...but I find more talent in guys like Aaron, Mantle and Ruth.
    Barry Bonds was every bit the player that Aaron or Mantle were and was certainly as talented. Its still too recent for some to put in perspective, but Bonds had the greatest four year stretch of any player in history. Its not even close. And he had already won 3 MVPs. Bonds is arguably the greatest player in history not named Babe Ruth. If you want to discount for alleged PED use (the government tried to prove it and couldn't), then its still undeniable that Bonds had arguably the greatest career in MLB history except for Ruth.
    Last edited by The Ibis; 21 Oct 15, 12:01.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Hating Mets' fans is easy: I've been doing it for years. Nevertheless, the Cubs failed to execute last night: wild pitch, butchering a fly ball, one or two other plays. That's what cost them Gm 3, not some silly curse.

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    I'm a big time Cub fan, I never liked Sosa, but he was entertaining.
    I am reminded the last few days just how much I hate the Mets.

Leave a comment:

• Taieb el-Okbi
    replied
    They haven't *played* baseball since the 1960's... Curt Flood, Marvin Miller, George Steinberenner and free agency killed.the game.
    All 4 of the big sports in the USA now pay the players millions of dollars. It is what it is, its the fans who pay the big bucks for the tickets. So where there is demand, the dollars will be dished out.

The home run race between McGuire and Sosa during the late 90s was for me the most enjoyable time I have had watching baseball. Fwiw I have enjoyed watching the playoffs this year, but nothing has come close to the fun I had watching McGuire and Sosa duel it out. There are the steroids wrt modern day ball, but I also hear arguments being made that back in the day some of the players were using performance enhancing drugs but that the league was not able to test for these drugs.

I do recognize guys like McGurie, Bonds and Sosa as great talents...but I find more talent in guys like Aaron, Mantle and Ruth.

Leave a comment:

• Taieb el-Okbi
    replied
    Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
    You just won a divisional series so you might want to wait until you win something bigger before you celebrate like you did
    Its interesting that the oddsmakers have put Chicago as the fav to win the world series. That said the fans of the Cubs have been waiting for 12 years to win a playoff series, so its understandable to see the fans celebrate as they did last night.

I think it comes down to Chicago Vs Toronto for the series.

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    Nothing after Lou Brock, then?

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
    They're still playing baseball?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X