NHL 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    Ain't it funny how last night's Pens did it to the Caps just like 2012's, 2013's, 2014's, and 2015's Rangers did it to the Caps.

And we got Emerson Etem in that trade?

I'm waiting for St Louis to dump Dallas like minor surface irritant.

Took my boy to a Russian skating coach ('cause you know those Canucks don't know squat 'bout skatin' ) and after two-and-a-half hours with that martinet, he could barely walk, much less skate. The next morning, his skating was cleaner, more efficient, and more explosive, than I'd ever seen it before. His bagged himself two assists in a winning effort, against a pretty good team. At first Mrs Slick didn't believe me, but when she saw him skating on the street the day after that game, she was suitably impressed. Slick Jr now insists on concentrating on hockey exclusively, despite being a pretty damned good football/soccer player. I'm concerned not only with injury, but also with emotional burn-out. I'll have to find a way to distract him at strategic times, which won't be easy, 'cause as any hockey fan knows, it's not a sport: it's a friggin' addiction.
    Best of luck to young slick. I recently heard a report on ESPN, I think, that youth who do multiple sports seem to be the most successful at higher levels, ie college. Just food for thought in your discussions with the young man.

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Yeah... spread those talents around a bit.

Which ever shot he is in hockey... give that swing a shot in baseball or golf.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Agreed: specializing in one sport at age 11 might not be the best thing for him to do. It might burn him out, as pointed out multiple times by both his mother and his father. Indeed, he's played baseball and football/soccer, and he proved okay at the one, and pretty damned good at the other. Nevertheless, the lad is adamant. I'll let him have his way over the next couple of months: he won't be playing organized anything come July and August, and we'll see how he feels about it again in September.

Gotta admit, though, that I admire his maniacal focus.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I know where he gets the 'maniacal' from tho .

Comment

It wasn't ...

Ain't it funny how last night's Pens did it to the Caps just like 2012's, 2013's, 2014's, and 2015's Rangers did it to the Caps.

And we got Emerson Etem in that trade?

I'm waiting for St Louis to dump Dallas like minor surface irritant.

Took my boy to a Russian skating coach ('cause you know those Canucks don't know squat 'bout skatin' ) and after two-and-a-half hours with that martinet, he could barely walk, much less skate. The next morning, his skating was cleaner, more efficient, and more explosive, than I'd ever seen it before. His bagged himself two assists in a winning effort, against a pretty good team. At first Mrs Slick didn't believe me, but when she saw him skating on the street the day after that game, she was suitably impressed. Slick Jr now insists on concentrating on hockey exclusively, despite being a pretty damned good football/soccer player. I'm concerned not only with injury, but also with emotional burn-out. I'll have to find a way to distract him at strategic times, which won't be easy, 'cause as any hockey fan knows, it's not a sport: it's a friggin' addiction.
            ... that long ago that I was counting on the Rangers to knock out the Caps, that is until the Pens sacked Mike Johnston and called up Mike Sullivan.

Make sure Slick Jr. stays in and does well in school. Way back when, a HS buddy of mine was about to be offered a hockey scholarship by Notre Dame, but didn't have enough HS credits to graduate. Addiction? John was bright, even skipped a grade back in grade school, but was a really GOOD defenseman (and running back), played on the Prov. Jr. "A" Seneca Nationals with Wayne Gretzky and Murray Howe (Gordie's youngest, not as gifted as his brothers, became a Dr.), and was Paul Coffee's defense tandem mate on another team. He made it as far as the Major Jr. "A" Peterborough Petes, not bad for a defenseman barely 5'6" tall (but built like a fireplug, did I mention he was a good running back?).

John ended up going to and playing hockey for a school in Quebec, on a very limited sort of scholarship, after HS. That said he can still reminisce about the time Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsey dropped by to catch one of their games, and he changed/sat between Gretzky and Howe in the dressing rm. afterwards; he was aware of the significance at the time, Gretzky was that good.

Oh yeah, if Jr. needs a distraction, try Lacrosse; great cardio, upper body workout, similar skill set and it plays like hockey, AND there are scholarships to be had there too.
            Last edited by Marmat; 11 May 16, 17:12.
            "I am Groot"
            - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
              It wasn't that long ago that I was counting on the Rangers to knock out the Caps, that is until the Pens sacked Mike Johnston and called up Mike Sullivan.
              You and me both.

Barring some secret trips to the Fountain of Youth, the 2016-2017 Rangers are going to look an awful lot like the 2015-2016 Rangers.

Make sure Slick Jr. stays in and does well in school.
              The odds of any kid making it to The Show are what, one-in-ten-million? It's not reasonable to put all your eggs in the Big League basket. Hockey's probably worse for that than basketball, American football, or baseball, since the NHL utilizes NCAA talent at a far lower clip than do MLB, NBA, and NFL.

Way back when, a HS buddy of mine was about to be offered a hockey scholarship by Notre Dame, but didn't have enough HS credits to graduate.
              That being said, if he blows a scholarship on account of grades, I'll kick him myself.

Addiction? John was bright, even skipped a grade back in grade school, but was a really GOOD defenseman (and running back), played on the Prov. Jr. "A" Seneca Nationals with Wayne Gretzky and Murray Howe (Gordie's youngest, not as gifted as his brothers, became a Dr.), and was Paul Coffee's defense tandem mate on another team. He made it as far as the Major Jr. "A" Peterborough Petes, not bad for a defenseman barely 5'6" tall (but built like a fireplug, did I mention he was a good running back?).

John ended up going to and playing hockey for a school in Quebec, on a very limited sort of scholarship, after HS. That said he can still reminisce about the time Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsey dropped by to catch one of their games, and he changed/sat between Gretzky and Howe in the dressing rm. afterwards; he was aware of the significance at the time, Gretzky was that good.
              Talk about a blessed career.

Oh yeah, if Jr. needs a distraction, try Lacrosse; great cardio, upper body workout, similar skill set and it plays like hockey, AND there are scholarships to be had there too.
              Speaking of running backs and lacrosse:

Jim Brown held all kinds of national lacrosse records at Syracuse University for many years.

Lacrosse ain't so big here; it's far more popular in the 'burbs. What we do have here are Irish sports clubs, and they play hurling. From where I sit, if you can do that, you can do 'most anything.

Comment

Speaking of running backs and lacrosse:

Jim Brown held all kinds of national lacrosse records at Syracuse University for many years.

Lacrosse ain't so big here; it's far more popular in the 'burbs. What we do have here are Irish sports clubs, and they play hurling. From where I sit, if you can do that, you can do 'most anything.
                Brown also played at least one season on the varsity basketball team at Syracuse.

Regards,
                Dennis

Comment

So much for any game 7 drama .

Comment

Good things to know about players in the Playoffs

"I am Groot"
                    - Groot

Comment

• Crosby ends a 7 game drought at just the right time. Now if Geno will get it going......

Disconcerting to see the Pens turn lackadaisical after showing nice effort in building a 2-0 lead, but a win is still a win.

Regards.
                      Dennis

Comment

• Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                        Crosby ends a 7 game drought at just the right time. Now if Geno will get it going......

Disconcerting to see the Pens turn lackadaisical after showing nice effort in building a 2-0 lead, but a win is still a win.

Regards.
                        Dennis
                        late in the 3rd period was outstanding hockey, Crosby found his mojo

Comment

• Did that puck go right through the webbing in Murray's glove?

Comment

• Just think about how lucky the Penguins are that Stamkos is still injured.
                            The Lightning would be the favourites to come out of the East if he was healthy.

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                              Did that puck go right through the webbing in Murray's glove?
                              No, internet myth. Ditto for Crosby bending the shot that scored the winner in OT. Both were dispelled in the Pittsburgh paper this morning.

Just think about how lucky the Penguins are that Stamkos is still injured.
                              The Lightning would be the favourites to come out of the East if he was healthy.
                              Perhaps, but if the Pens hadn't missed so many games (250+) with many of those being injuries to key players, who knows what would have happened as well. No luck there, just the reality that injuries are part of the game.

Regards,
                              Dennis

Comment

• Do Canadian peewees regularly slapshot? Here's it's actively discouraged.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X