2015 MLB discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 MLB discussion thread

A thread to discuss the 2015 MLB season.

FBI investigates Cardinals for hacking into Astros' database

I will start this thread off with a recent scandal involving the Stl Cardinals. Officials from the Stl Cardinals are said to have hacked into the computer systems of the Houston Astros. Wrt the sport of baseball, you might see folks from one team try and steal signs from the other team such as when a runner on 2nd base is trying to pick up the signs of the opposing teams catcher. But with computer technology these days there is a chance for one team to look into the inner workings of another team,

The St. Louis Cardinals are being investigated by the FBI for allegedly hacking into networks and trying to steal information about the Houston Astros, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

Major League Baseball, the Cardinals and Astros all issued statements Tuesday saying they have cooperated fully with the investigation, which started last year after some information was posted anonymously online. The Astros and Cardinals said they would not comment further, as it's an ongoing federal investigation.

According to ESPN legal analyst Roger Cossack, the federal investigation is close to a conclusion.

The Times reported Tuesday that the FBI and Justice Department officials have evidence that Cardinals officials -- who were not identified -- allegedly tapped into the Astros' database and had access to statistics, scouting reports and internal discussions about players, trades and other proprietary information.

"Something is going on," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny told reporters before Tuesday's game. "We don't know how to react at all until we have more information, so we don't."

The Astros rely heavily on sabermetrics in their evaluation of players and have been open about the fact that they use an online database to house their proprietary information. Luhnow isn't sure whether that's why they were targeted, but he knows they are far from the only team that stores data about players and trades online.

more,

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13...stros-database

Comment

Have you guys seen the YouTube video of Tim Lincecum interviewing Bruce Lee? It's a crack up and very well done.

This could be a peek at Timmie's new career after baseball.
      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Anyone hear any specifics on Rose betting while a player, as per the ESPN report? If true, this doesn't change my mind on him, it just damns him more.

Even if he wasn't a "fixer," and even if he only bet on his team to win, because when he didn't bet it still provided powerful information to the bookies!

Regards,
        Dennis
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
          Anyone hear any specifics on Rose betting while a player, as per the ESPN report? If true, this doesn't change my mind on him, it just damns him more.

Even if he wasn't a "fixer," and even if he only bet on his team to win, because when he didn't bet it still provided powerful information to the bookies!

Regards,
          Dennis
          What I have heard is that Pete Rose would only bet on his team to win, still though Rose broke the rules of MLB.

As a side note I had the chance to meet Rose about 12 years ago at a home run derby for charity. I got a picture and autograph from Rose.

Comment

What did the autograph cost you? My understanding is that Rose hasn't given a freebie for years!

Does not matter if he only bet to win. The days he didn't bet told the bookies he didn't think they would win. Very valuable information to use in adjusting the line.

Regards,
            Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
              What I have heard is that Pete Rose would only bet on his team to win, still though Rose broke the rules of MLB.

Yeah...he couldn't have fixed the outcome of his bets. But what a cryin' shame, he really was an outstanding player and do deserve to be in the hall.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

What did the autograph cost you? My understanding is that Rose hasn't given a freebie for years!
                I can't remember, it was a while ago. I was with my mother and we were at a home run derby charity event over where the Buffalo Bisons play minor league baseball. I think Dave Parker was also at the event. I know I got most of if not all my autographs for free including a free autograph from Ozzie Smith.

I do remember Rose having his own sort of room to sign autographs, their was a long line but I got my picture and autograph from Rose.

Does not matter if he only bet to win. The days he didn't bet told the bookies he didn't think they would win. Very valuable information to use in adjusting the line.

Regards,
                Dennis
                I hear what your saying. Obv when Rose did not make the call, the bookies prob felt that Rose must have known something. Of course there must have also been times when Rose did not call his bookies but that the Reds still won.

The way I look at it is that its stupid for an MLB player to bet on MLB. Most of the MLB folks make great $$$, even back in the 70s when Rose played the mlb players were making much more then the average American.

I will say though a # of Professional athletics do gamble, but they do so in a manner that is allowed by their sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
                  I will say though a # of Professional athletics do gamble, but they do so in a manner that is allowed by their sport.
                  True, but that is legal gambling. I have no issue at all with that.

Regards,
                  Dennis

Comment

There's talk about Zack Greinke possibly signing with the Giants after his contract with the Dodgers expire after this season. During a recent interview, he mentioned the Giants and seem to want to be a part of their team. Of course it's just a rumor right now but I would welcome Greinke as a Giant. I wouldn't be surprised if Bochy was whispering in his ear during the All Star game.

Comment

He seems kind of weird to me ... but a nasty pitcher.

Hope you are well my friend .

We didn't have enough for any baseball this year .

Football is about to start up tho... yes, that means you!
                      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                        He seems kind of weird to me ... but a nasty pitcher.

The other day I heard on the Murph & Mac radio show something really funny about him. During a Dodger team meeting, towards the end the manager asked if anyone has anything to add. Greinke never talks during meetings but that day he raised his hand and said he has something to say. Everyone turned around to see what he has to say.

He said that he noticed there are some players who are going #2 and not washing their hands afterwards. He said he would appreciate it if everyone washed their hands after going #2.

yep, he is definitely WEIRD!

Comment

Cole Hamels is only one inning away from a no hitter.

Comment

A bit of drama on the last out but Hamels got the no hitter

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...h-six-innings/

Comment

I was just as impressed with A-Rod's 3 homeruns.

I think he should be tested. Just sayin.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X