Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What determines your favorite ball team?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What determines your favorite ball team?

I was just curious as to how you decide what your favorite ball teams are. Hometown? Players? Mascot? Fond memories?
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Dolphins fan since 1970 - Age 6 - Had Dolphins footie pajamas and a Dolphins heavy coat. Still a fan but they have broken my heart for over 20 years now. Sure do miss Dan Marino playing. Have seen them play in person in Atlanta in the 90s.

I try to be a fan of the Carolina Panthers... but that is still growing I guess.

Oakland A's fan since 1970 - Had A's t-shirts. They were cool- Vida Blue, Joe Rudi, Catfish Hunter, Gene Tenace, Sal Bando, Reggie, Blue-Moon Odom,
    Rollie Fingers, Ken Holtzman, etc

Started liking the Phillies in 1972 after the A's started trading off their guys or letting them go elsewhere.
    Had Phillies batting helmet and went to Atlanta twice in youth to see them play the Braves. Loved Luzinski, Boone, Bowa, Schmidt, Carlton, McGraw, and on and on. Still like them the most but fading back to the A's gradually.
    See the Braves almost every other summer visiting family in Atlanta.

Hockey is the Carolina Hurricanes

They are terrible right now... but have won a Stanley Cup

I am going to a game next Sunday vs the Detroit Red Wings.

I was a 'Bird' Celtics fan... but that died out quickly once he was gone.
    I have been to a Hornets game and a Bobcat game (yr before last) to see my daughter's favorite player--- Kobe. It was fun. I like the way the Spurs play and their attitude... plus their coach cracks me up .
    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

My hometown determines my favorite NFL and NHL team.

I dont feel the Dolphins Bills rivalry as much as other Bills/Dolphins fans such as dgfred. This may be do to the fact that I was not old enough to remember the bills glory years of the early nineties and the games where Marino and Kelly would face off.

That said, I'm rooting against the Dolphins tonight Its going to be the Bills all the way this year Greg, its been a long time coming.

Comment

Primarily the home town teams I was raised with. Pirates, Steelers, Penguins, Pitt and my college alma mater
        THE ROCK!
        Regards,
        Dennis
        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
          This may be do to the fact that I was not old enough to remember the bills glory years of the early nineties and the games where Marino and Kelly would face off.
          Truth be told the NFL's highpoint was Super Bowl XXV: Jim Kelly vs Jeff Hostetler. I remember especially fondly Andre Reed attempting to run crossing routes over the middle.

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
          Primarily the home town teams I was raised with. Pirates, Steelers, Penguins, Pitt . . . .
          Yeah, those Pens were mighty impressive this past spring.

They really rocked the Isles last month, too.

I'm normally partial to New York teams, though I'm disgusted by Mets' fans for the same reasons that I'm disgusted by Red Sox fans: they're bitter little shits. Yankees and Rangers rate high, but I'm down on the Giants of late, and I've given up totally on the Knicks and the NBA overall -- but they were something to behold once upon a time. In their current iterations I've really come to admire what the Detroit Red Wings and the Los Angeles Kings have done, and I rather envy them a bit. Overseas I follow Arsenal, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Peñarol, and Vasco da Gama: first professional franchise anywhere to sign a Negro, twenty-three years before the Brooklyn Dodgers. I used to follow Ajax Amsterdam quite closely, but now it's hard since they've been reduced to a farm team for the rest of Europe.

And the franchises that I loathe: Dallas Cowboys, Los Angeles Dodgers and San Francisco Giants (the O'Malley's and the Stoneham's should all be burning in hell right now and for all eternity) Toronto Maple Leafs, the aforementioned Penguins, NJ Devils, Real Madrid and AC Milan and PSV Eindhoven (fascists one and all) Liverpool and Chelsea and Boca Juniors and Rangers Glasgow (their fans don't know how to behave in public.)

Otherwise, I'm a lover of all sport, and all people.

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Hometown - specifically place of birth, not current residence.
            High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
            Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

My uncle was captain and played in three premierships. I don't think I had a choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassa_Mann
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

My favorite Hockey team is the Oilers and that's because they're the home team,my favorite Baseball team is the Blue Jays my second favorite team was the Expos so I go for Canada's teams with MLB,my favorite CFL team is the Eskimos and again it's because they're the home team and my favorite NFL team are the Redskins and I have no idea why it might have to do with the success the Redskins had in the 80's and early 90's and John Riggins is my favorite Football player of all time.
                I don't follow Basketball but I go for the Raptors when they make the playoffs so it's because they're Canada's team in Basketball.

Comment

I started following sports when I was 9. That was when the Steelers won the Super Bowl and the Orioles went to the World Series but lost. That's when I became a fan of the two teams.
                  “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                  ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
                    My favorite Hockey team is the Oilers and that's because they're the home team,my favorite Baseball team is the Blue Jays my second favorite team was the Expos so I go for Canada's teams with MLB,my favorite CFL team is the Eskimos and again it's because they're the home team and my favorite NFL team are the Redskins and I have no idea why it might have to do with the success the Redskins had in the 80's and early 90's and John Riggins is my favorite Football player of all time.
                    I don't follow Basketball but I go for the Raptors when they make the playoffs so it's because they're Canada's team in Basketball.
                    "John Riggins" Mortal enemy of Dolphins for running over our players in the Super Bowl... our last visit .

I forgive you tho .

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                      I was just curious as to how you decide what your favorite ball teams are. Hometown? Players? Mascot? Fond memories?

I go by looks.

Last baseball season I found myself rooting on the Kansas City Royals in the playoffs. There are some lookers on that team.

Comment

Haha... what part do you look at for football players .

Comment

Hometown and memories. The Browns, Indians and Cavaliers from Cleveland with the Pirates and Penguins of Pittsburgh also being followed. Got the first 3 from the Evans side of the family and the other 2 from the Baker side. The Steelers were never an option. One grandpa took me to Indians games and the other to Pirates games.

But the team that has the biggest pull on my loyalties is the Ohio State Buckeyes. We lived in Columbus when I was a kid and our neighbor across the street had season tickets to Buckeye games. He also had 3 young daughters who had no interest in football so guess who got to go a lot of the time? And this was during the time of Woody Hayes' best teams at OSU. Archie Griffin, Pete Johnson, Randy Gradishar, Champ Henson and on and on and on. And after the game, we would go to the one gate where the team left from and get autographs. I had them all. And these guys were very friendly and accommodating. That leaves lasting impressions on a 7 year old kid. And if that weren't enough, I played Little League Football and at our year end banquet Woody showed up to give a speech and shake hands. And of course he said that he hoped all of us would play football at OSU one day. Yeah, it sounds corny now but when you're 7 or 8 or 9, that was huge. So after all that, I almost have to be a Buckeye fan now.
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X