Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Jeter is not the greatest Yankee, not even close.
    That being said when compared to Keith Olberman........
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
    T. R.
    Last edited by Urban hermit; 28 Sep 14, 22:56.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
    I salute Derek Jeter. I salute my fellow New Englanders who showed him the respect he deserves this weekend at Fenway. Link to info about today's game, with some video footage.

http://nesn.com/2014/09/derek-jeters...t-fenway-park/
    Favorite Fenway moment (at least in my memory): 12 Sep 1979 - although he didn't pitch very well (giving up Yaz's 3,000th hit, which I did not remember ) the Fenway crowd gave Jim "Catfish" Hunter an extended standing ovation in the Hall of Famer's last career start. Back then the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry was white hot, but the Boston fans showed a ton of class, and that moment remains with me still.

Leave a comment:

• lakechampainer
    replied
    I salute Derek Jeter. I salute my fellow New Englanders who showed him the respect he deserves this weekend at Fenway. Link to info about today's game, with some video footage.

http://nesn.com/2014/09/derek-jeters...t-fenway-park/

Leave a comment:

• Checkertail20
    replied
    Originally posted by Persephone View Post
    Five Gold Glove awards...not bad for an 'average' shortstop, huh?
    Rafael Palmeiro won a Gold Glove in 1999 and he only played 28 games at first base. Cal Ripken Jr. committed only 3 errors in 1990 and didn't win the Gold Glove. The fact that Jeter has five Gold Gloves and Ripken's only has two gold gloves shows that the award is more about reputation than who actually deserved it.

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    There's a surprising concentration of the . . . . intellectually-challenged participating in this thread. I can only wonder what's causing it . . . .
    You mean "Yankee Fans"?

Rimshot!

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    There's a surprising concentration of the . . . . intellectually-challenged participating in this thread. I can only wonder what's causing it . . . .

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryne_Duren

For us metalheads, his nephew is Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P.

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    God I feel old part 3.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    He was better before he separated his shoulder in Toronto in Apr '03. After that his throws lost some of their zing.

Leave a comment:

• Persephone
    replied
    Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
    I put Jeter's fielding at shortstop as being just a little better than Shaquille O'Neal's free throw throw shooting. He was average at best.

Five Gold Glove awards...not bad for an 'average' shortstop, huh?

Leave a comment:

• Checkertail20
    replied
    Originally posted by Persephone View Post
    I'm no Yankees fan but I do admire Jeter's amazing career of coming through in the clutch. To me, he is Mr Clutch.
    He is also an amazing defensive shortstop. Players that only have great defense, rarely get credit.

Last night's game was just amazing. I got a bit teary eyed watching it unfold. Jeter is not THE greatest player, but he is one of the greatest. Just my personal opinion.
    I put Jeter's fielding at shortstop as being just a little better than Shaquille O'Neal's free throw throw shooting. He was average at best.

Leave a comment:

• Martok
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    Two words for Olbermann and all the other pathological Yankee haters out there. Why don't you just guess what they are.
    For the record, I don't hate the Yankees or Jeter, I'm just not a Yankees's fan. Jeter is certainly a hall of fame caliber player if for no other reason than how he conducted himself for twenty years in the game. My only point of agreement with Olberman is I think they the retirement celebrations are a bit overblown.

Leave a comment:

• dgfred
    replied
    Well said... no wonder we are soulmates .

Leave a comment:

• Persephone
    replied
    I'm no Yankees fan but I do admire Jeter's amazing career of coming through in the clutch. To me, he is Mr Clutch.
    He is also an amazing defensive shortstop. Players that only have great defense, rarely get credit.

Last night's game was just amazing. I got a bit teary eyed watching it unfold. Jeter is not THE greatest player, but he is one of the greatest. Just my personal opinion.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by 2nd Rangers View Post
    Keith is a horse's ass.
    That was proven even before his current foray into sports commentary.

Full disclosure: I've been a Yankee fan since I first went to the Stadium when I was ten. I went to one of Mickey Mantle's last games in 1968. He hit a home run and the place erupted.
    Damn you're an old bastard. My first game at The Stadium was April 1978: helmet day, and I was sitting in the RF bleachers. In the bottom of the 1st, Reggie struck out a runner on base and two out, so when he assumed his position to start the Top 2nd, he was pelted with those helmets. Yanks went on to win, though, thanks to Roy White's and Thurman Munson's bats.

By the way, as much as I admire Jeter, he can only be the Yankees' second-best captain. Munson will always be No 1.

Is the "Farewell Tour " overdone ? You bet.
    Yeah, it is -- but I don't begrudge him it. For all the accolades, Jeter still keeps it pretty tight to the vest. Even last night, after Joe Girardi's urging, Jeter still declined running a full victory lap. For Jeter it was never about Jeter, so I don't mind one bit that he's getting an over-share of the limelight.

Is Jeter the greatest Yankee ever ? No, Ruth and Gehrig top every list.
    I'd rate Joe D higher, but that's just my opinion.

Keith is just trying to generate some buzz for his stagnant , pathetic life.
    Fifty years from now people will be telling their grandchildren how they saw Jeter do this, and Jeter do that. Ten minutes from now Olbermann won't even be an afterthought.

Keith face it. You are not going to the Broadcaster Hall of Fame.
    He's heading straight to obscurity, without passing go, without collecting $200.

The only fitting end to this post are with the words spoken by the scout who'd seen the young Derek Jeter, that he spoke preceding Draft Day 1992:

The day the Yankees' front office gathered to talk about using the sixth overall pick in the 1992 draft, there was a lively debate when Jeter's name came up as a possibility. "Jeter? Isn't he going to the University of Michigan?" Yanks scouting director Bill Livesey asked. [Dick] Groch, who had scouted Jeter extensively and advocated drafting him, shot back: "The only place he's going is to Cooperstown."

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X