For The First Time Ever I Agree With Keith Olbermann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For The First Time Ever I Agree With Keith Olbermann

Derek Jeter is not the greatest player ever.

“When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
    Derek Jeter is not the greatest player ever.

Not even the greatest Yankee!

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

True enough: Jeter is not the greatest Yankee. But he is a great ballplayer, worthy of mention among the greats of eras past, and Jeter's certainly been a far better ballplayer than whatever the hell Olbermann is.

Keith Olbnermann: proof positive that it's possible to have more than one *******.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        True enough: Jeter is not the greatest Yankee. But he is a great ballplayer, worthy of mention among the greats of eras past, and Jeter's certainly been a far better ballplayer than whatever the hell Olbermann is.

Keith Olbnermann: proof positive that it's possible to have more than one *******.
        Agreed.
        Jeter was a great player who deserves the respect he's receiving in his last season.

Comment

If he was the greatest player, Ryne Duren was the greatest pitcher.
          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
            If he was the greatest player, Ryne Duren was the greatest pitcher.
            Who?

However I also agree with Olberman concerning the Jeter Rapture, as I think he called it. Every game the Yankees play seems to be on TV, as if when Jeter is gone baseball itself will fade away.

Agreed, he is a great player, but not worthy of all this fawning.

Comment

In his last game in the Bronx, he opens with an RBI double, and closes with a walk-off single. Just to compare, Ted Williams had one more at-bat scheduled after his homerun, but his manager sat him down.

Two words for Olbermann and all the other pathological Yankee haters out there. Why don't you just guess what they are.

Comment

More than any other franchise, the Yankees have generational greats, Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Mattingly and now Jeter. It's an end of an era. And to do it with such class, at a high level and for so long, makes Jeter truly among Yankee, and MLB as a whole, greats. I'll be able to tell anyone that follows that I experienced it.
                "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
                And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

Now I just feel old . . . .

Comment

I don't feel old. I feel infused with time experienced longevity.
                    "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
                    And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

I agree Jeeter was great......greatest, no. There is also no denying he was a class act.

I will never be a Yankee fan, but disliking them does not equate to not being able to objectively judge them.

Regards,
                      Dennis
                      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Keith is a horse's ass.

Full disclosure: I've been a Yankee fan since I first went to the Stadium when I was ten. I went to one of Mickey Mantle's last games in 1968. He hit a home run and the place erupted.

Is the "Farewell Tour " overdone ? You bet. Is Jeter the greatest Yankee ever ? No, Ruth and Gehrig top every list. Keith is just trying to generate some buzz for his stagnant , pathetic life.

Keith face it. You are not going to the Broadcaster Hall of Fame.
                        God Save The Republic.

Comment

Originally posted by 2nd Rangers View Post
                          Keith is a horse's ass.
                          That was proven even before his current foray into sports commentary.

Full disclosure: I've been a Yankee fan since I first went to the Stadium when I was ten. I went to one of Mickey Mantle's last games in 1968. He hit a home run and the place erupted.
                          Damn you're an old bastard. My first game at The Stadium was April 1978: helmet day, and I was sitting in the RF bleachers. In the bottom of the 1st, Reggie struck out a runner on base and two out, so when he assumed his position to start the Top 2nd, he was pelted with those helmets. Yanks went on to win, though, thanks to Roy White's and Thurman Munson's bats.

By the way, as much as I admire Jeter, he can only be the Yankees' second-best captain. Munson will always be No 1.

Is the "Farewell Tour " overdone ? You bet.
                          Yeah, it is -- but I don't begrudge him it. For all the accolades, Jeter still keeps it pretty tight to the vest. Even last night, after Joe Girardi's urging, Jeter still declined running a full victory lap. For Jeter it was never about Jeter, so I don't mind one bit that he's getting an over-share of the limelight.

Is Jeter the greatest Yankee ever ? No, Ruth and Gehrig top every list.
                          I'd rate Joe D higher, but that's just my opinion.

Keith is just trying to generate some buzz for his stagnant , pathetic life.
                          Fifty years from now people will be telling their grandchildren how they saw Jeter do this, and Jeter do that. Ten minutes from now Olbermann won't even be an afterthought.

Keith face it. You are not going to the Broadcaster Hall of Fame.
                          He's heading straight to obscurity, without passing go, without collecting $200.

The only fitting end to this post are with the words spoken by the scout who'd seen the young Derek Jeter, that he spoke preceding Draft Day 1992:

The day the Yankees' front office gathered to talk about using the sixth overall pick in the 1992 draft, there was a lively debate when Jeter's name came up as a possibility. "Jeter? Isn't he going to the University of Michigan?" Yanks scouting director Bill Livesey asked. [Dick] Groch, who had scouted Jeter extensively and advocated drafting him, shot back: "The only place he's going is to Cooperstown."

Comment

I'm no Yankees fan but I do admire Jeter's amazing career of coming through in the clutch. To me, he is Mr Clutch.
                            He is also an amazing defensive shortstop. Players that only have great defense, rarely get credit.

Last night's game was just amazing. I got a bit teary eyed watching it unfold. Jeter is not THE greatest player, but he is one of the greatest. Just my personal opinion.
                            "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Well said... no wonder we are soulmates .
                              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X