Sotchi Olympics 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
    How does the NHL franchise suffer a loss ?
    If a star player is out an extended period due to injury, then lots of tickets won't be sold. That's not such an issue in places like Montreal or New York, but in Minneapolis or San Jose it can be.

If the player is injured during Olympic competition, the insurance (premiums paid by IIHF & IOC) pays the players salary.
    The only loss I can see for the franchise would be a possible drop in ticket sales, but that would probably only occur if it were a star player who was injured.
    Or any player whose presence is meaningful on the ice: think Darren McCarty when the Wings were winning Cups.

I wouldn't be happy at all if Pacioretty were injured in the Olympics, but then I wouldn't be happy if he were injured in an NHL game either.
    But if were injured in an NHL game you'd accept it. If he were injured playing for USA you'd be pissed, 'cause you stood to gain absolutely nothing from his play for USA, as opposed to his play for the Habs.

And yes, I'm a Habs fan.

My son's first game was a 4-1 beating at the Garden two years ago. He enjoyed that immensely.

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Zetteberg may be out for the season ... so much for my fantasy teams chances.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
        Zetteberg may be out for the season ... so much for my fantasy teams chances.
        That might very well do it for Detroit: they've been struggling with injuries all season, and they stand a chance of missing the playoffs for the first time in twenty years.

Comment

Ah come on. Anyone can get hurt doing anything. Whose the ball player who cut himself with his hunting knife? Or Jonathan Lucroy who f'd up his wrist/hand with his wife's suitcase. As Bob Ley said we are all day to day.

If worrying about getting injured holds back a player, you don't want him out there. The list of guys who were left off Canada's and our rosters could have probably made the quarterfinals. They would probably not blink at the thought of getting injured - not hockey mentality. We all know that.
          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
            Ah come on. Anyone can get hurt doing anything. Whose the ball player who cut himself with his hunting knife? Or Jonathan Lucroy who f'd up his wrist/hand with his wife's suitcase. As Bob Ley said we are all day to day.

If worrying about getting injured holds back a player, you don't want him out there. The list of guys who were left off Canada's and our rosters could have probably made the quarterfinals. They would probably not blink at the thought of getting injured - not hockey mentality. We all know that.
            When players are getting paid on the order of $100 million over ten years, it's not sport any more: it's big business.

Comment

I hear you, but I'm sticking to my guns as well.
              "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."

Comment

By the way, the Finns looked solid over Russia. Looking forward to lunch and watching the start of the US game.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                  I hear you, but I'm sticking to my guns as well.
                  Me too, if I had any guns, Olympic hockey is just too important to the sole.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                    Me too, if I had any guns, Olympic hockey is just too important to the sole.
                    I like Olympic hockey -- but that's only once every four years. What about all the other years, 82 games each? I don't see the IOC or the IIHF doing anything to support any of that.

You're spoiled. You come home every night and watch an NHL recap show, and **** and moan all through the summer that you're dying for hockey. What fetches a higher price: a ticket to a minor league hockey game, a ticket to a college hockey game, or a ticket to an NHL game? Can you guess why? Since the Olympic committees and hockey federations are offering precious little to the upkeep of the players, then yes, I can definitely appreciate the NHL's concerns vis a vis the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                      I like Olympic hockey -- but that's only once every four years. What about all the other years, 82 games each? I don't see the IOC or the IIHF doing anything to support any of that.

You're spoiled. You come home every night and watch an NHL recap show, and **** and moan all through the summer that you're dying for hockey. What fetches a higher price: a ticket to a minor league hockey game, a ticket to a college hockey game, or a ticket to an NHL game? Can you guess why? Since the Olympic committees and hockey federations are offering precious little to the upkeep of the players, then yes, I can definitely appreciate the NHL's concerns vis a vis the Olympics.
                      If the United States beats Canada it will be a greater moment for US hockey than anything else US hockey could produce. Think of what inspires your son to hockey greatness.

Comment

If the United States beats Canada it will be a greater moment for US hockey than anything else US hockey could produce. Think of what inspires your son to hockey greatness.
                        Shut up! Don't interrupt my erection. USA over Czech Republic, 3-1, 1st Int.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, USA advancing to the final would be fantastic -- outta this world even. And winning a gold would be beyond description. But let me tell you: I've seen all kinds of victory parades, and all of them paled compared to '94.

All of 'em.

Comment

Watch the Finns against Russia...Very solid team. May cause some surprises in near future!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                              Watch the Finns against Russia...Very solid team. May cause some surprises in near future!
                              These short tourneys are kind of unpredictable. Any of today's winners has a fair shot at winning it all.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                                Don't get me wrong, USA advancing to the final would be fantastic -- outta this world even. And winning a gold would be beyond description. But let me tell you: I've seen all kinds of victory parades, and all of them paled compared to '94.

All of 'em.
                                You don't have to choose, you can have both. Wow 20 years now since the Ranger Canuck Stanley Cup series, that was a great one indeed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X