Sotchi Olympics 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
    I hear you, I cringe a little when the sign goes up "Hockey is Our Game" because other people are just as passionate

Overtime, go Canada
    All the ugliness of football/soccer, only at more tolerable temperatures.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      The second biggest surprise is Switzerland.
      The Swiss have been backdooring their way into quite a few medals as the favorites fail to perform in various events.

Comment

SOCHI, Russia -- The possibility of the NHL players competing in the 2018 Olympics won't be discussed by the league during the Sochi Games.

"It's not anything we're focused on dealing with right now," Commissioner Gary Bettman said.

Bettman was joined at a news conference Tuesday by NHL Players' Association Executive Director Don Fehr and International Ice Hockey Federation President Rene Fasel.

"There is nothing like an Olympic gold medal in the life of an athlete," Fasel said. "Nothing."

Then Bettman interjected: "Except for winning the Stanley Cup."
        http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...bettman-021814

I pose the question to you - what is more special winning an Olympic gold medal for your country or winning the Stanley Cup?

My answer is easy. I say winning a gold medal for your country. Now emotion aside, I know this is about money and losing advertising dollars for the NHL during the Olympic break. However, the magic of Olympic hockey has always been more of a draw to me (ever since 1980).

Your thoughts?
        "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post

I pose the question to you - what is more special winning an Olympic gold medal for your country or winning the Stanley Cup?

My answer is easy. I say winning a gold medal for your country. Now emotion aside, I know this is about money and losing advertising dollars for the NHL during the Olympic break. However, the magic of Olympic hockey has always been more of a draw to me (ever since 1980).

Your thoughts?
          I'll second that. the proof of the pudding is in the watching of the pudding:

"Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium claims that 22 million people or two thirds of the Canadian population were watching the gold medal game when Sidney Crosby scored in overtime, making the game the most-watched television broadcast in Canadian history"

Comment

Well down here you know its football first (I like college over pro football).

I guess a follow up question is do you (in the general sense) like the pros playing in the Olympics or do you like 'amateurs'? As much I loved 1980, I don't think we as a hockey world can go back to amateurs. Thinking with my head I'd say pros in the Olympics...
            "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
            -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Well down here you know its football first (I like college over pro football).

I guess a follow up question is do you (in the general sense) like the pros playing in the Olympics or do you like 'amateurs'? As much I loved 1980, I don't think we as a hockey world can go back to amateurs. Thinking with my head I'd say pros in the Olympics...
              I like it the way it is. The problem with the Olympics before the NHL was in it was that it pitted our amateurs against the Red Army (The big Red Machine).That meant our amateurs against their paid professionals who pretended to be amateurs. That wouldn't be the case now but Olympics should be about the best against the best. Canada would be hard pressed to gather up enough amateurs that anyone would be interested, and so would any other country so far as hockey goes.

So far as non-professional tournaments go, the World Juniors tournament around New Years is an annual holiday ritual in Canada that commands TV ratings that any US super bowl would be jealous of.

Comment

Your thoughts?
                Then let the various nations' Olympic committees and ice hockey federations pay the players. Today is was disclosed that Norwegian winger Mats Zuccarello was unable to play against Russia due to an injury to his hand. Zuccarello not playing for Norway means that Norway gets bounced from the tournament. Zuccarello not playing for the Rangers 'cause he sustained an injury outside of the NHL means that Zuccarello won't be paid. Do you really think that Norway's Olympic committee or ice hockey federation will make good Zuccarello's lost income?

Come to think of it, the Rangers were on a serious roll going into the Olympic break. How will they fare afterwards? Those who've bought tickets at the Garden, are they not entitled to the best product possible, ie a roster full of healthy players? At at least $110 a seat, I think they're more than entitled.

Besides, when the same US network carries both the Winter Olympics and the NHL it makes sense for the NHL to release their players for two weeks, as the NHL is hoping that their ratings will pick up new viewers who are still jonesing after the Olympics. If the two events are carried by different networks, however, then the NHL stands to gain nothing from suspending play for two weeks. Perhaps that's something that the IOC may bear in mind when US broadcasters bid for the rights to the 2018 games.

Or should basketball's and soccer's/football's Olympic tournaments take place in the winter? Can any one here imagine Sepp Blatter or David Stern suspending FIFA or NBA seasons for the Olympics?

Why is ice hockey the only major sport that's expected to suspend its regular season once every four years 'cause the Olympics have come around?

Comment

Or should basketball's and soccer's/football's Olympic tournaments take place in the winter? Can any one here imagine Sepp Blatter or David Stern suspending FIFA or NBA seasons for the Olympics?

Why is ice hockey the only major sport that's expected to suspend its regular season once every four years 'cause the Olympics have come around?
                  FIFA has a 4 year world tournament already, the World Cup. Hockey doesn't. Basketball isn't in season when the summer Olympics are on and FIBA approved the rule that allowed NBA players to compete in international tournaments in 1989. That's something that Bettman is trying to undue and Stern isn't.

Comment

Then let the various nations' Olympic committees and ice hockey federations pay the players. Today is was disclosed that Norwegian winger Mats Zuccarello was unable to play against Russia due to an injury to his hand. Zuccarello not playing for Norway means that Norway gets bounced from the tournament. Zuccarello not playing for the Rangers 'cause he sustained an injury outside of the NHL means that Zuccarello won't be paid. Do you really think that Norway's Olympic committee or ice hockey federation will make good Zuccarello's lost income?

Yes.
                    Since the IIHF and the IOC pay the insurance costs of the NHL players, the insurance should cover any pay lost by that player as a result of an injury suffered during international competition.

This was why they practiced on mats, in shorts, with a ball before the games began.

Come to think of it, the Rangers were on a serious roll going into the Olympic break. How will they fare afterwards? Those who've bought tickets at the Garden, are they not entitled to the best product possible, ie a roster full of healthy players? At at least $110 a seat, I think they're more than entitled.
                    So if a player gets injured during an NHL game and is out for the season, do you demand a refund on your season tickets ?
                    Doesn't really sound reasonable to me; it's a risk you take.
                    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

FIFA has a 4 year world tournament already, the World Cup. Hockey doesn't.
                      Ice hockey has an annual world championship, which counts the Olympics as their tourney once every four years.

Basketball isn't in season when the summer Olympics are on and FIBA approved the rule that allowed NBA players to compete in international tournaments in 1989.
                      So why can't ice hockey be played in the Summer Olympics rather than the winter?

That's something that Bettman is trying to undue and Stern isn't.
                      That's 'cause the NHL makes a far greater share of its revenue from ticket sales than from international broadcasting or marketing than does the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
                        So if a player gets injured during an NHL game and is out for the season, do you demand a refund on your season tickets ?
                        Doesn't really sound reasonable to me; it's a risk you take.
                        Many players' contracts forbid skydiving, skiing, motor cycle riding -- and playing in non-league sanctioned events. If an NHL player is injured during an NHL game, then that's an occupational hazard. If an NHL player gets hurt barnstorming, then he has voided his contract. See the fate of Aaron Boone for an illustration.

Comment

Many players' contracts forbid skydiving, skiing, motor cycle riding -- and playing in non-league sanctioned events. If an NHL player is injured during an NHL game, then that's an occupational hazard. If an NHL player gets hurt barnstorming, then he has voided his contract. See the fate of Aaron Boone for an illustration.

Agreed, but the NHL player's participation in the Sochi Olympics IS a league sanctioned event.
                          Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
                            Agreed, but the NHL player's participation in the Sochi Olympics IS a league sanctioned event.
                            It's league-permitted. If the player is injured during a non-NHL event, then it's his NHL franchise that suffers the financial loss, when it should be the Olympic committees and/or the ice hockey federations.

Let me put it this way: how happy would you be if Max Pacioretty were injured and lost for the season?

I'm assuming you're a Hab, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog View Post
                              The Swiss have been backdooring their way into quite a few medals as the favorites fail to perform in various events.
                              Actually just the other day I was wondering what happened to the Switz. they use to be very competive in the winter sports.

Comment

It's league-permitted. If the player is injured during a non-NHL event, then it's his NHL franchise that suffers the financial loss, when it should be the Olympic committees and/or the ice hockey federations.
                                How does the NHL franchise suffer a loss ?

If the player is injured during Olympic competition, the insurance (premiums paid by IIHF & IOC) pays the players salary.
                                The only loss I can see for the franchise would be a possible drop in ticket sales, but that would probably only occur if it were a star player who was injured.

Let me put it this way: how happy would you be if Max Pacioretty were injured and lost for the season?

I'm assuming you're a Hab, of course.

I wouldn't be happy at all if Pacioretty were injured in the Olympics, but then I wouldn't be happy if he were injured in an NHL game either.

And yes, I'm a Habs fan.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X