X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
    Apologies for what? :
    Hi Capt,

loved that Tigersqn post and then the one that followed by Skoblin. I was just trying to join in the fun, hope it wasn't miss-understood, you did press my spoiler didn't you? (which was different than Skoblin's spoiler)

Kind regards, go Canada, keep apologizing for being so awesome all the time!

Paul
    Last edited by Sparlingo; 13 Feb 14, 20:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
      Hi Capt,

loved that Tigersqn post and then the one that followed by Skoblin. I was just trying to join in the fun, hope it wasn't miss-understood, you did press my spoiler didn't you? (which was different than Skoblin's spoiler)

Kind regards, go Canada, keep apologizing for being so awesome all the time!

Paul
      Nah! We are good.

Thanks for the rep.

Just making a point to all...Apologizing for anything is sooo characteristic to us mild-mannered Canadians, except during the Olympics and hockey games.

Comment

Nah! We are good.

Thanks for the rep.

Just making a point to all...Apologizing for anything is sooo characteristic to us mild-mannered Canadians, except during the Olympics and hockey games.
        Yeah, and I just can't resist posting this one, ironically the telecast from France followed by the British one are my two favorites:

Followed by this one, Sorry:

Last edited by Sparlingo; 13 Feb 14, 23:12.

Comment

Watching the US vs Russia hockey game.

Wow! I'm quite impress by the Russian team.

Comment

Originally posted by sliderrpm
            Do US/Russia ever play each other outside of the Olympics?
            There are a number of international hockey tournaments where they meet.

But both teams and Canada have a three way Olympic hockey rivalry.

An interesting note, one player on the US team and one on the Russian team play together with the Montreal Canadiens in the professional National Hockey League.

Comment

There are a number of international hockey tournaments where they meet.

But both teams and Canada have a three way Olympic hockey rivalry.

An interesting note, one player on the US team and one on the Russian team play together with the Montreal Canadiens in the professional National Hockey League.
              Artyom Anisimov and Fyodor Tyutin played with the NY Rangers two years ago alongside Ryan Callahan and Ryan McDonough.

Yeah, and I just can't resist posting this one, ironically the telecast from France followed by the British one are my two favorites: . . . .
              Keep dining on ashes. That'll look great when Miss Sydney Crosby is crying at the end of this.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                Miss Sydney Crosby .
                That's very polite of you Slick, in hockey trash talk he's usually simply "Cindy Crosby" with the "Miss" omitted.

Comment

That's very polite of you Slick, in hockey trash talk he's usually simply "Cindy Crosby" with the "Miss" omitted.
                  Isn't he also from the Maritimes?

I've got another word for Crosby that starts with a "C" . . .

I'll let you in on a little secret: USA played well today, but the Russians played just a little bit better, well enough in fact to win. While USA tallied more shots on goal, the Russians had more time in the US zone. Kudos to Russia's defensemen, who not only kept the USA to one-and-out on their end, but kept the biscuit in the US zone with worrying consistency.

What's up with Slovakia? Could you ever have imagined a squad with that much experience looking that lost? I know they're not the swiftest bunch, but in two games now they've looked beaten. That's the biggest shock so far.

The second biggest surprise is Switzerland. They're believing, and they're hot in the net. That makes them very, very dangerous.

Comment

Isn't he also from the Maritimes?
                    Yeah he's a Martimer all right. When he won the Stanley Cup all 100,000 of the 50,000 people who live in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia showed up for the parade.

I'll let you in on a little secret: USA played well today, but the Russians played just a little bit better, well enough in fact to win. While USA tallied more shots on goal, the Russians had more time in the US zone. Kudos to Russia's defensemen, who not only kept the USA to one-and-out on their end, but kept the biscuit in the US zone with worrying consistency.
                    I only saw the shoot-out. If I were a betting man, which I am, and if I had a nickle, which I don't, I'd bet Russia makes it to the final game, and I can't predict from there.

What's up with Slovakia? Could you ever have imagined a squad with that much experience looking that lost? I know they're not the swiftest bunch, but in two games now they've looked beaten. That's the biggest shock so far.

The second biggest surprise is Switzerland. They're believing, and they're hot in the net. That makes them very, very dangerous.
                    I have to confess I haven't watched enough yet to give you an opinion, but it sounds right from what I'm hearing. In a short tournament like this and a hot goalie anything can happen. Hockey has the most intangibles if any sport I think, which, along with speed, makes it the greatest game in the world.

Comment

Yeah he's a Martimer all right. When he won the Stanley Cup all 100,000 of the 50,000 people who live in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia showed up for the parade.
                      And American math education gets panned.

I only saw the shoot-out. If I were a betting man, which I am, and if I had a nickle, which I don't, I'd bet Russia makes it to the final game, and I can't predict from there.
                      Despite giving up more shots on goal, I think that Russia outplayed USA yesterday. Russia spent a lot of time in the US zone, and generated some very good offensive chances.

Don't get me wrong: USA does a lot of things very well. They have speed, and their defensive play has been top-notch, disciplined, blocking shots, and executing that first pass that initiates offense. So all-in-all, I'm impressed by USA's play. I was just seriously impressed by Russia's skill is all.

Perhaps, though, Russia's inability to cash their opportunities in has gotten into their heads somewhat. They had some good power plays, with serious time in zone, and excellent chances, but they converted none of them. Today Slovakia finally played the way they were expected, and even though the Russians carried the play, the Slovaks frustrated the hell out of them, checking real tight and effective. The Russians have all the skills, but they also have all the neuroses, so I can't tell you where they'll go.

I have to confess I haven't watched enough yet to give you an opinion, but it sounds right from what I'm hearing. In a short tournament like this and a hot goalie anything can happen. Hockey has the most intangibles if any sport I think, which, along with speed, makes it the greatest game in the world.
                      You're preaching to the choir on this one. In fact, I'm so up on hockey that my son has caught the bug. After years of begging me to let him play, I relented when he showed me how he can skate: he can, backwards and forwards. In honor of my boy's achievement, I'm establishing a charity that will fund the purchase of the gear. So please make you checks payable to Slick_miester Hockey, Brooklyn NY. Thank you.

Short tourney with big ice and short zones: it's more unpredictable than ever. Watch it if you can, you won't be disappointed.

Comment

You're preaching to the choir on this one. In fact, I'm so up on hockey that my son has caught the bug. After years of begging me to let him play, I relented when he showed me how he can skate: he can, backwards and forwards. In honor of my boy's achievement, I'm establishing a charity that will fund the purchase of the gear. So please make you checks payable to Slick_miester Hockey, Brooklyn NY. Thank you.

Short tourney with big ice and short zones: it's more unpredictable than ever. Watch it if you can, you won't be disappointed.
                        Ahh I wish your son well, the hockey bug is an expensive bug I know. Have you figured out his nick name yet for when he gets to the NHL? "The Brooklyn-Miester" perhaps ? Canada looking good against Finland 1 to nuthun after 1

Comment

Ahh I wish your son well, the hockey bug is an expensive bug I know.
                          When I was a kid there was very little organized hockey in NYC, and certainly none that I could afford. We played on the street, with whatever gear we could scratch up or fashion. How did kids who grew up in West Bubblef*ck, Saskatchewan, afford any of that gear?

Have you figured out his nick name yet for when he gets to the NHL? "The Brooklyn-Miester" perhaps ?
                          That's a real good question. In order for it to stick, though, doesn't his have to come from his teammates?

Canada looking good against Finland 1 to nuthun after 1
                          Rask looks great: his usual self.

Comment

Finns are showing some fight: they tied it late in the 2nd. 1-1 2nd Int.

It's not that I'm anti-Canadian -- 'cause I'm not -- but I'm sick to death of Canadian attitudes about hockey. They act like they invented the game or something. (Oh yeah, they did. ) Okay, so the Canucks invented it -- but they don't own it, and they're not entitled to every laurel that the game offers. And Sidney Crosby is the poster-boy of that: "my sh*t don't stink."

And if there's anyone I'd like to see win gold apart from USA, it's Finland: when you think of all the greats they've produced over the years, you figure it's an anomaly that they haven't won Olympic gold.

But I like USA's work ethic, personified by guys like Callahan and McDonagh and Backes, and Chris Drury four years ago. They're not as skilled as some of the Canadians or the Russians, but I'd much rather go into battle with them than with Crosby or Nash.

Comment

Finns are showing some fight: they tied it late in the 2nd. 1-1 2nd Int.

It's not that I'm anti-Canadian -- 'cause I'm not -- but I'm sick to death of Canadian attitudes about hockey. They act like they invented the game or something. (Oh yeah, they did. ) Okay, so the Canucks invented it -- but they don't own it, and they're not entitled to every laurel that the game offers. And Sidney Crosby is the poster-boy of that: "my sh*t don't stink."

And if there's anyone I'd like to see win gold apart from USA, it's Finland: when you think of all the greats they've produced over the years, you figure it's an anomaly that they haven't won Olympic gold.

But I like USA's work ethic, personified by guys like Callahan and McDonagh and Backes, and Chris Drury four years ago. They're not as skilled as some of the Canadians or the Russians, but I'd much rather go into battle with them than with Crosby or Nash.
                              I hear you, I cringe a little when the sign goes up "Hockey is Our Game" because other people are just as passionate

Overtime, go Canada

Comment

That was the best pre- lim game. Finland looked good. Should be a great week ahead for hockey fans.
                                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                                -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X