Sotchi Olympics 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
    . . . . And you still maintain the US had the better defensive corps ? . . . . Again, you still maintain the US defensive corps was better ??
    Comparing defensemen to defensemen, yes: the US' are better. I don't think it out of line to say that Ryan McDonagh is the best one-on-one defensemen in the NHL today. But Canada didn't play two-man defense: they played five-man defense. Canada's forwards were constantly involved in the defense, and all five of them stuffed up the neutral zone pretty fierce. US' forwards all too often tried to play Lone Ranger. They got away with that crap against an old-looking Slovakia and Czech Republic: against Canada's five-man scheme, it flopped.

Flip back a couple of pages, and I think you'll find where I praise Babock, Ruff, and Julien, for preaching the necessity of keeping the gap between the blue-liners and the forwards as tight as possible. Canada's gap was usually no more than the distance from the blue line to the red line. The US' was all too often far larger.

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
    I prefer Save %, but in that also, there is no method for measuring the quality of the shots.
    So do I, as again that one number will not tell a whole story. Nevertheless, Price's Sv Pct is no better than most, and worse than a few.

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that Price had a dog of a year last season, but the Habs have made key changes to his support this season in acquiring Jimmy Waite as the goalie coach. As a result, Price's play this season has been nothing short of stellar.
    You know how sports is: there's no substitute for confidence. I wouldn't be surprised if Price went on a tear starting this week. What separates the exceptional goaltenders from the average is, how do they respond when things don't go so well. Price's history on that score has been a little rocky.

Originally posted by tigersqn
    Yep, he had a horrible year last season, which is why Bergevin picked up Jimmy Waite as goaltending coach in the off-season.
    The difference this season has been noticeable.
    How many goaltending coaches have the Habs been through during Price's tenure?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      Comparing defensemen to defensemen, yes: the US' are better. I don't think it out of line to say that Ryan McDonagh is the best one-on-one defensemen in the NHL today.
      I would disagree.

But Canada didn't play two-man defense: they played five-man defense. Canada's forwards were constantly involved in the defense, and all five of them stuffed up the neutral zone pretty fierce. US' forwards all too often tried to play Lone Ranger. They got away with that crap against an old-looking Slovakia and Czech Republic: against Canada's five-man scheme, it flopped.
      Can't argue with that.

Flip back a couple of pages, and I think you'll find where I praise Babock, Ruff, and Julien, for preaching the necessity of keeping the gap between the blue-liners and the forwards as tight as possible. Canada's gap was usually no more than the distance from the blue line to the red line. The US' was all too often far larger.
      The US played an NHL sized rink game.
      They didn't adapt their play for the different dimensions of the international ice.
      You'll notice how many goals Canadian defencemen scored in the tournament. That was no fluke.
      You've already mentioned the clogging of the neutral zone.

So do I, as again that one number will not tell a whole story. Nevertheless, Price's Sv Pct is no better than most, and worse than a few.
      You know how sports is: there's no substitute for confidence. I wouldn't be surprised if Price went on a tear starting this week. What separates the exceptional goaltenders from the average is, how do they respond when things don't go so well. Price's history on that score has been a little rocky.
      Have you ever seen Price rattled ?

I do agree in a sense though. I think this could be a career year for Price.

How many goaltending coaches have the Habs been through during Price's tenure?
      Before Jimmy Waite, it was Francois Allaire. That's it.

In Price's first year with the Habs, he got them into the playoffs and they beat the Bruins in the first round before losing against the Flyers.
      His Sv% that year was .920 as a rookie.
      Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Yep, he had a horrible year last season, which is why Bergevin picked up Jimmy Waite as goaltending coach in the off-season.
        The difference this season has been noticeable.
        Yup, I think the problem with Price for a while was between the ears. Tried playing the puck way too much and got burned for it. Did you notice in the Olympics how many times he just covered up and ate the puck? The guy was a vacuum and gave up almost zero rebounds!

Comment

Now he has his Olympic Gold and best goaltender at Sochi.
          He was NOT the best goaltender at Sochi.

Don't confuse excellent team defense with great goal tending.

Comment

• The 'best' goalie is always the one with the gold medal IMO.
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

• Originally posted by AdrianE View Post
              He was NOT the best goaltender at Sochi.

Don't confuse excellent team defense with great goal tending.

I agree. The Latvian goalie was a standout.

But Price won the Best Goaltender of the Tournament award.
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X