Sotchi Olympics 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marmat View Post

You also have to ask yourself, what is "Scottish"; an ethnicity, a nationality? In a recent census of Scotland, 84% or 4,446,000 of the population of Scotland, claimed "White Scottish" ethnic status (note, fewer in number than in Canada), the rest were mainly White other British, Irish, Polish, with 150,000 odd visible minorities. How many Scots today can claim their ancestry back to the hard times of the Clearances, or earlier, when many were forced to immigrate?

Sure, ethnic paths diverged some for all kinds of reasons, but we're talking about people who claimed Scottish heritage (perhaps a measure of culture as well?) over any other, when presented with all the choices available. That's my point of reference.
    There are parts of Cape Breton that are more Scottish than Scotland, speaking a Scottish Gaelic dialect that has since died out in Scotland, and some fiddle music and ways that have been lost in the old country. About 2,000 Nova Scotians still speak Gaelic. Spend some time in Cape Breton or Pictou County, Nova Scotia and it's almost pure old Scotish ethnicity in places.

Comment

• They left out ...

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      Something that graced your family's kitchen in your youth?
      ... the best part! The empty milk bags are used to make blankets!

I never cared much for bagged milk, with the kids going through a lot of it we'd go to Beckers for our milk in 4 litre returnable jugs. As a kid it was glass bottles left in the milk chute next to the side door, remember those?
      Last edited by Marmat; 22 Feb 14, 14:22.
      "I am Groot"
      - Groot

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        Just out of curiosity, where was PK Subban? I can't recall his name ever being mentioned, but I don't remember hearing of him being injured either. Was he a healthy scratch?
        In the press box where that arrogant selfish bastard belongs. He's not fit to carry the sticks of the rest of the Canadian hockey team.

He played one game in the preliminary round and then was scratched because he could not put aside his ego and play the team system. The other 6 blue liners are just stellar.

How about those Finns? I could not believe that outcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
          No? We grew up with them, you could buy three 1 1/4 litre bags in one bigger bag, you slid it into a pitcher and cut the corner with scissors.

But I digress, there is hockey afoot, even today, bronze medal 10:30 EST, Go USA Go
          I can remember my grandma buying milk in bags when I was little. You had to on your toes when pouring it or there would be crying over spilt milk
          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Originally posted by AdrianE View Post
            How about those Finns? I could not believe that outcome.
            Ah, we mailed in that game. They played like they were already on the plane home.
            "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
            -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

• Five in the neutral zone: it's simple, Babcock & Co sold it, and twenty Canadians executed it flawlessly. It sticks like a bone in my throat to say it, but you've got to tip your hats to the Canucks.

Doesn't mean that Sidney Crosby isn't a bitch, however.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Five in the neutral zone: it's simple, Babcock & Co sold it, and twenty Canadians executed it flawlessly. It sticks like a bone in my throat to say it, but you've got to tip your hats to the Canucks.

Doesn't mean that Sidney Crosby isn't a bitch, however.
                Thanks Slick, enjoyed the thread, and thanks Stalin wherever you are. You can turn off the Maple Leaf now.

Comment

• Well Sotchi is over without any catastrophe that some political people of a paranoid nation were forecasting and hoping for .......to bad guys....you just couldnt wait to see the Ivans fall flat on their faces, but all went off with only minor hitches......go back to crying i[n your beer.....

Comment

• the closing ceremony -

Comment

• the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Medal standings

Comment

• Originally posted by stalin View Post
                        the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Medal standings

Me thinks you posted that a little early.
                        Canada was third with 10 Gold, 10 Silver and 5 Bronze.
                        Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• I love this little clip.
                          It shows that the Russians can have a great sense of humour.

Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

• No props for Ted Nolan? His Latvians did push the Canucks in their game a good deal further than anyone expected.

Now that the Canadians pick up their medals and have flown home, can I take down this ridiculous leaf now?

Comment

Now that the Canadians pick up their medals and have flown home, can I take down this ridiculous leaf now?
                              Not til Canada Day....

Comment

• Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                                Not til Canada Day....
                                You Canadians are cruel bastards, that's for sure. Must be the French in ya . . . .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X