No announcement yet.

Sotchi Olympics 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, come on slick. Just say congratulations to the Canadian Team. If the US loses then who is better to lose to...S.hit most of them work in the US anyway.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      With the Irish who else to you have to fill your jails?
      I worked with a shiteload of Scottish coppers.
      "I am Groot"
      - Groot

Comment

• Let's step back and give a toast to the real rulers of the Winter Olympics, Norway.

Comment

Ah, come on slick. Just say congratulations to the Canadian Team.
          Now it's a friggin' obsession. Those fckers keep beating us. Now I know how the Beaneaters feel. They need a lid slammed on them but good come 2018.

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          If the US loses then who is better to lose to...S.hit most of them work in the US anyway.
          Not only do they work in the US, their game is developed in the US: most of the college players are Canadian too. What, you think they're playing at McGill? We're paying for them to beat us. How dumb are we?
          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            Now it's a friggin' obsession. Those fckers keep beating us. Now I know how the Beaneaters feel. They need a lid slammed on them but good come 2018.

Not only do they work in the US, their game is developed in the US: most of the college players are Canadian too. What, you think they're playing at McGill? We're paying for them to beat us. How dumb are we?
            Cool down Marc, you and I know that they are just the 51st or according to O the 57th State. I guess he his a forward thinking leader.

For all you lost in the great white out.
            Last edited by Half Pint John; 21 Feb 14, 18:05.

Comment

• And by the way, not that I'm an Isles' fan, but do you think I'm still wrong about NHL types being justifiably reticent about their players in the Olympics? With John Tavares out, there's no way the Islanders will make the playoffs now. Whose going to make good the Isles' and Nassau Co's lost income, the Canadian Olympic committee? The Canadian ice hockey federation? It wasn't all that long ago that that kind of injury (torn MCL and meniscus) would end a career. Now it ends a season. I feel bad for Tavares, for the Isles, and for their fans.

And how long do I have to fly this idiotic leaf as my avatar?

Comment

• OK Sunday is the big one. In the Maritimes it's 8.00 AM Sunday Morning. I don't know what laws we are breaking, I'm sure there are some, but there is a little spot that us boys are getting together Sunday Morning to watch the game. About 100 of us in a little bar. SHHH!

Comment

And how long do I have to fly this idiotic leaf as my avatar?
                  Until the Ceremonial Quadra-Annual Olympic Sunday Men's Hockey playing of OH CANADA, of course, you silly person, you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                    OK Sunday is the big one. In the Maritimes it's 8.00 AM Sunday Morning. I don't know what laws we are breaking, I'm sure there are some, but there is a little spot that us boys are getting together Sunday Morning to watch the game. About 100 of us in a little bar. SHHH!
                    Can't open 'til noon there, or some similar nonsense?

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                    Until the Ceremonial Quadra-Annual Olympic Sunday Men's Hockey playing of OH CANADA, of course, you silly person, you.
                    We might have to burn Toronto down -- again.

Comment

We might have to burn Toronto down -- again.
                      Until Canada becomes an independent country with out some snob from England being head of state. See ya on the flip side Marc.

Comment

Until Canada becomes an independent country with out some snob from England being head of state. See ya on the flip side Marc.
                        What are the Brits gonna do about it this time? First of all, I'll invite them to come and burn the White House. Second, I'll lure them again to New Orleans. Then Canada will be all ours, defenseless and ripe for the picking!

Comment

Heads up Slick: Here's a quote from your home town NY Daily News:

"Canadian players were hugging and smiling. U.S. players were commiserating and not smiling. This has been going on since the start of Olympic ice hockey almost 100 years ago, Canada prevailing over its massive neighbor to the south, reminding everybody that the game is a national treasure.

Their national treasure."

Comment

• Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                            I checked years ago, for a post about Scots vs. Irish immigration to Canada vs. the US; Canada got the more of the Scots, the US got more Irish, don't remember where Ulster fit in. Canadian immigration numbers show Scots 3rd after English & French. Back then numbers were close enough to use "about".

This is from Wiki with actual numbers, not over 5 million, but not far under it either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Canadians

Total population

Scottish
                            4,714,970 Canadians
                            15.10% of the population of Canada

Regions with significant populations

Canada

Ontario

British Columbia

Alberta

Nova Scotia

Manitoba

Quebec
                            You DO realise there are only 5 million Scots in Scotland, don't you ?
                            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

• Originally posted by AdrianE View Post
                              I don't think I've ever met a pure blood Scottish Canadian. They are almost always a mix of Scot, French, English, Irish, and Native. There may well be 5 million Canadians with some scotch heritage but thats most definately not equal to 5 million pure blood scots.
                              Depends on your point of reference or how you want to look at it. When asked, these folks claimed Scottish heritage over any other; if a mix of Scot (not Scotch, that's an alcoholic type beverage, although some use it for Ulstermen), French, English, Irish, and Native they could've claimed "Canadian". Judging by current demographics, it would appear that French and Scot are now quite close, although 2/3's of the population of Quebec claimed "Canadian" status.

Canadian 32.22% 10,066,290 - Quebec (66.2%)
                              English 21.03% 6,570,015 - Newfoundland and Labrador (43.2%)
                              French 15.82% 4,941,210 - Quebec (28.9%)
                              Scottish 15.11% 4,719,850 - Prince Edward Island (40.5%)
                              Irish 13.94% 4,354,155 - Prince Edward Island (29.2%)
                              German 10.18% 3,179,425 - Saskatchewan (30.0%)
                              Italian 4.63% 1,445,335 - Ontario (7.2%)
                              Chinese 4.31% 1,346,510- British Columbia (10.6%)
                              North American Indian 4.01% 1,253,615 - Northwest Territories (36.5%)

You also have to ask yourself, what is "Scottish"; an ethnicity, a nationality? In a recent census of Scotland, 84% or 4,446,000 of the population of Scotland, claimed "White Scottish" ethnic status (note, fewer in number than in Canada), the rest were mainly White other British, Irish, Polish, with 150,000 odd visible minorities. How many Scots today can claim their ancestry back to the hard times of the Clearances, or earlier, when many were forced to immigrate?

Sure, ethnic paths diverged some for all kinds of reasons, but we're talking about people who claimed Scottish heritage (perhaps a measure of culture as well?) over any other, when presented with all the choices available. That's my point of reference.
                              "I am Groot"
                              - Groot

Comment

Heads up Slick: Here's a quote from your home town NY Daily News:

"Canadian players were hugging and smiling. U.S. players were commiserating and not smiling. This has been going on since the start of Olympic ice hockey almost 100 years ago, Canada prevailing over its massive neighbor to the south, reminding everybody that the game is a national treasure.

Their national treasure."
                                And it can remain their national treasure -- so long as they can defend it. Boy did Canucks howl when the Soviets deprived them of it for better than thirty years. The day's a-comming when Hockyland will once again not be the Frozen North, nor behind an Iron Curtain, but the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

Only no sooner than 2018.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X