No announcement yet.

Sotchi Olympics 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd better than 1st for Canada: USA having really hard time getting good entries, Canada turning the giveaways into offense, and their forecheck is wearing USA down.

Keep your eyes on Rick Nash and you'll see why Canadians have always pissed me off.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by the ace View Post
      So the country that invented curling (and still provides the stones - made of granite quarried from Ailsa Craig) shouldn't be too dismayed at Silver, then ?
      Sarcasm appreciated and noted, I'll treat that as a valid question. When you consider the cosmopolitan nature of the world today, especially within the populations of former colonies, I think you'll appreciate that there are about as many people in Canada that claim Scottish ancestry (my wife's maiden name is Ferguson), as there are people living in Scotland today; ever heard of Nova Scotia? Curling's been around here forever, almost. Only Lacrosse, the game of the First Nations has been around longer, and is Canada's national game. And then there's hockey.

My friend, neighbour and former co-worker is of Scottish ancestry, his son went to school in the US on a Lacrosse scholarship and was a professional Lacrosse player. At a recent Lacrosse World Championships he represented and played for ... Scotland.

To answer your question, for good reasons, I would say, ... YES BE DISMAYED, PISSED OFF, YOU'RE FREAK'IN SCOTTISH RIGHT!
      Last edited by Marmat; 21 Feb 14, 14:19.
      "I am Groot"
      - Groot

Comment

• I see all the fcking Canucks are back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marmat View Post
          Sarcasm appreciated and noted, I'll treat that as a valid question. When you consider the cosmopolitan nature of the world today, especially within the populations of former colonies, I think you'll appreciate that there are about as many people in Canada that claim Scottish ancestry (my wife's maiden name is Ferguson), as there are people living in Scotland today; ever heard of Nova Scotia? Curling's been around here forever, almost. Only Lacrosse, the game of the First Nations has been around longer, and is Canada's national game. And then there's hockey.

My friend, neighbour and former co-worker is of Scottish ancestry, his son went to school in the US on a Lacrosse scholarship and was a professional Lacrosse player. At a recent Lacrosse World Championships he represented and played for ... Scotland.

To answer your question, for good reasons, I would say, ... YES BE DISMAYED, PISSED OFF, YOU'RE FREAK'IN SCOTTISH RIGHT!
          I probably don't want to hear this (I wasn't being sarcastic, BTW, just trying to keep my chin up), but are there more than 5 million Canadians claiming Scottish descent ?
          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            2nd better than 1st for Canada: USA having really hard time getting good entries, Canada turning the giveaways into offense, and their forecheck is wearing USA down.

Keep your eyes on Rick Nash and you'll see why Canadians have always pissed me off.
            He was a menace. Most dominating 1-0 game I have seen .

Congrats to the Canadians . Not you guys tho .
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

• Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
              Don't worry. Your Canadian ID card has been permanently preserved....

AGONY!
              SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

• Well the US team gave Canada a good game.

Comment

I probably don't want to hear this (I wasn't being sarcastic, BTW, just trying to keep my chin up), but are there more than 5 million Canadians claiming Scottish descent ?
                  I checked years ago, for a post about Scots vs. Irish immigration to Canada vs. the US; Canada got the more of the Scots, the US got more Irish, don't remember where Ulster fit in. Canadian immigration numbers show Scots 3rd after English & French. Back then numbers were close enough to use "about".

This is from Wiki with actual numbers, not over 5 million, but not far under it either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Canadians

Total population

Scottish
                  4,714,970 Canadians
                  15.10% of the population of Canada

Regions with significant populations

Canada

Ontario

British Columbia

Alberta

Nova Scotia

Manitoba

Quebec
                  "I am Groot"
                  - Groot

Comment

I see all the fcking Canucks are back.
                    Bravo for the great game, the American team is all a class act, as are the American fans.

Canada versus US Hockey is emerging as one of the great rivalries in all of sports. Thanks.

Comment

There are a couple of great quotes related to Scotland and Canada that are memorable:
                      The Scottish built Canada while the Irish were in the pubs drinking

and

"Canada is Scotland's revenge against England"

BTW I'm Irish Canadian

Comment

• Congrats to Canada. US/Can we win.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                          There are a couple of great quotes related to Scotland and Canada that are memorable:
                          The Scottish built Canada while the Irish were in the pubs drinking

and

"Canada is Scotland's revenge against England"

BTW I'm Irish Canadian
                          While Germans are one of the largest constituent ethnic groups in Canada, they are considerably less visible than others. In part this is because the great waves of German immigration were many decades ago and since then Germans have been largely assimilated. Culturally, linguistically, and physically, there is far less to distinguish Germans from the Anglo-French majority compared to other immigrant groups
                          With the Irish who else to you have to fill your jails?
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                            This is from Wiki with actual numbers, not over 5 million, but not far under it either:
                            I don't think I've ever met a pure blood Scottish Canadian. They are almost always a mix of Scot, French, English, Irish, and Native. There may well be 5 million Canadians with some scotch heritage but thats most definately not equal to 5 million pure blood scots.

Comment

• Originally posted by joea View Post
                              Well the US team gave Canada a good game.
                              No it wasn't. While I might bitch -- justifiably -- that the US women were robbed by the crummy officials, the US men were simply outplayed. First and foremost, they were outcoached. Throughout the sixty minutes, Canada played as a five man unit: they never let a significant gap emerge between their defensemen and their forwards. That was absolutely essential in order to neutralize the the US' speed. That's why the US had such a hard time gaining the offensive zone: not three red shirts or two red shirts -- but five red shirts were challenging US puck-carriers every time they emerged from their own zone. Major props go to Mike Babcock, Lindy Ruff, Claude Julien, and Ken Hitchcock: they've be real good coaches for a long time now, and they're class acts to boot. They've all proven it more times than I can count.

Another kudo goes to Canada's blue-liners: they kept the speedy US forwards to the outside for much of the game, and kept the US offense to one-and-out. After the first period the US had very little forecheck of which to speak, and you could just feel the game slipping away because of it.

Just out of curiosity, where was PK Subban? I can't recall his name ever being mentioned, but I don't remember hearing of him being injured either. Was he a healthy scratch?

Jaimie Benn: not so much for scoring, but for the tough yet real heads-up way he played today. Yeah he netted the lone goal, but he kept at least three out. Tremendous.

The same goes for Jeff Carter, but I got used to watching him play like that on a regular basis a couple of years ago.

Did you see Rick Nash: back-checking, throwing elbows, moving players in front of his own net? Like generations of high-priced Canucks before him, he's an example of the kind of NY Ranger who drags his perfumed ass for the better part of 328 NHL games, but in international competition becomes a fearsome hard-nosed two-way competitor of the first order. Rod Gilbert, Jean Ratelle, Vic Hadfield, Phil Esposito, and a whole shitload of Canadians basically spent their NHL careers defrauding New Yorkers. When I was a kid blue-seaters derided Ratelle as a "lettuce sandwich," but when CSKA came to town he played like Dave Schultz. The Henrik Lundqvist you're seeing in the Olympics now is daily fare on Broadway: same for Callahan (except for his brain-fart on Benn's goal) and McDonagh, but I assure you that no New Yorker has ever before seen today's Rick Nash.

Comment

a whole shitload of Canadians basically spent their NHL careers defrauding New Yorkers]
                                LOL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X