The Ghost of George?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ghost of George?

Did the Yankees really just pay a pitcher who's never thrown a pitch in the major leagues $155 million?

Who knows, maybe he's the second coming of Cy Young.

I guess this was expected. I mean the Yanks forked up $85 million for a decent catcher and $150 million for a guy who plays 60% of the time.

As I recalled the Yankees took a bath on another Japanese pitcher a few years ago. I'd have thought that once bitten, twice shy -- but that's me.

Wasn't Brian Cashman supposed to stock up the farm with all kinds of talent? Where is it?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Undefeated last year... like 26-0. That is good whether you in AAA or Japan pros.
      Under 2 ERA .

A.Rod not on the books this year???

They need him desperately. If he is a number 1 pitcher you have him, CC, then the rest. Without him you have CC... less about 50 lbs and him number 2.

They almost had to get him whatever the cost.
      SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        As I recalled the Yankees took a bath on another Japanese pitcher a few years ago. I'd have thought that once bitten, twice shy -- but that's me.
        What do you say about three times: either a charm ... or a loser.
        Irabu and Igawa!

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
        Undefeated last year... like 26-0. That is good whether you in AAA or Japan pros.
        Under 2 ERA .
        All well and good when not facing Major League hitting. I read somewhere that his fastball is flat....

Yeah, but he is next year.

They need him desperately. If he is a number 1 pitcher you have him, CC, then the rest. Without him you have CC... less about 50 lbs and him number 2.

And what if he's the next Kei Igawa? Or David Clyde?

By the way, the right answer to that question is: 'Who cares. The Yankees will just buy another player.'

But go back to Slick:

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        Wasn't Brian Cashman supposed to stock up the farm with all kinds of talent? Where is it?
        As a non-Yankee fan, I'm glad he's failed there. Because a farm system producing excellent players, plus all that cash would make it really hard to compete with them.

Comment

Their farm system doesn't have squat.

Comment

Under 2 ERA .

Tanaka will be a solid #2-3 pitcher for 2014 and then will become a 1-2 starting in 2015. He is just to good to pass up.

I'm betting that CC will rebound this year. He has been cutting weight and working on his fitness. All good signs for him.

A-Rod is likely coming off the books for good. It is looking like the Yanks will cut him and shell out the cash for him to go away. There has been talk that they may sue him.
            Any rate his career is over. ESPN has been reporting for the last 24 hrs. that his colleagues have been trying to get him expelled from the union.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Don't forget the $20 million they paid the Japanese team/league for the privilege of paying the player the $155 million!

Regards,
              Dennis
              If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

All this is just noise by the jealous majority who do not have the privilege and foresight to be Yankee fans. Go suck a rotten egg! Haters :P
                "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
                And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                  Don't forget the $20 million they paid the Japanese team/league for the privilege of paying the player the $155 million!

Regards,
                  Dennis
                  Still, it would work out to about 25 million a year with it all added together.

Pocket change for the boys.

They really, REALLY need him... and for him to do well. about that.

My Phillies are gonna be terrible... guess I will go for my AL team = A's .

Comment

My Phillies are gonna be terrible... guess I will go for my AL team = A's .
                    Good man!
                    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDog View Post
                      All this is just noise by the jealous majority who do not have the privilege and foresight to be Yankee fans. Go suck a rotten egg! Haters :P
                      Aren't you a bit worried about the infield? The left side is a big gaping question mark at this point.

Comment

I would love to see the Orioles spend some money but as usual it will be status quo.
                        “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                        ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                          I would love to see the Orioles spend some money but as usual it will be status quo.
                          Ditto with my Pirates, but that kind of money just isn't available to more than 3-4 teams on a consistent basis.

Regards,
                          Dennis
                          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                            Be careful what you wish for. I remember a few years back when the O's were up there in spending. Doesn't always work out.

Comment

Yes, Legate, infield defense is a concern. I am actually quite sceptical about the Yanks chances this year. I didn't like the Ellsbury signing or Beltran for that matter. Not real crazy about McCann either. But it's the Bronx and if we are in contention, great! If not, it will be a spectacular flame out, hence, entertaining to watch. Either way, we all win
                              "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
                              And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X