Australia has Regained the Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
    Agree that Rogers should have won, but Johnson was justifiable. He got 8/88 - very impressive & quite a bit better than Lyon (who was still great with bat & ball). I think MotM is decided by one or more of the commentators.

Disagree. Haddin has been magnificent, but Johnson has been a matchwinner time & again. He has crushed what should have been a superior England batting lineup & his intimidation has benefitted the other bowlers. Historically test wickets are worth an average of about 30 runs per, so Johnson's wickets this series are worth close to 1000 runs. I have always thought it unfair that bowlers only get acknowledged when they get 5 for while batsmen get recognized for a 50.

Under other circumstances I would be happy to see Haddin get the nod, but Johnson has been the player of this series.
    I would hate to be the one with the casting vote pretty hard choice a wicket keeping batsman who has save Australia's hides is most of Australia's first innings or Johnson who will probaly the last nail in a lot of English batsman careers.

Be even harder to pick who get's the worst player of the series i would personaly give it Alister Cook for he idiotic at times captaincy.
    http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
      I would hate to be the one with the casting vote pretty hard choice a wicket keeping batsman who has save Australia's hides is most of Australia's first innings or Johnson who will probaly the last nail in a lot of English batsman careers.
      They have been standout performers. Warner & Clarke were also great in the first 3 tests, but have lacked the consistency of Johnson & Haddin.

Be even harder to pick who get's the worst player of the series i would personaly give it Alister Cook for he idiotic at times captaincy.
      Tough.

Of the batsmen Cook has failed dismally. So has Bell. They are supposed to anchor the innings at either end of the order & barely have 200 runs each at about 30. Cook probably gets the nod because of his insipid captaincy. Swann is the standout for the bowlers. Got 7 wickets at 80 & then walked out when they needed him most. That makes him my pick for worst. At least Cook is still trying.
      Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Johnson hands down. He could go for 0/200 at Sydney and still get my vote. His spell in Brisbane was a Mike Tyson uppercut that still has the Poms reeling. And he's backed it up with great bowling in the other three tests.

The entire series has been built around Johnson, and his prowess with the ball will be talked about for many years.
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
          Here I am!!!
          Not for nothing, but why is the stadium empty?
          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            He was smart enouph to get in before the lines got to big it is always a smart idea to get into the MCG probaly the same for any other stadium. if that was day one of the test he would of one of 91,000 people who were there that day alone and I think it was 200,000 + for the 4 days of the tes and $8 million dollars + just at the gates alone.

Comment

He must have been there VERY early. This is what it looked like later that day with 91,000 through the door. I was sitting directly across from AB. In fact, I can see where my brother & I sat on his photo.

2013-12-26_16-15-45_968.jpg

I think a few had actually left by this point as it looked more full about an hour before. Because the game is made up of 4-5 7 hour days people will often arrive late or leave early.

Over the 4 days 271,800 showed up. Biggest MCG crowd since 1961, when Tests weren't telecast live, and the fourth highest total ever. The biggest crowd ever was over 350,000 over 5 days in the 1936-37 Ashes series. They saw a team led by the greatest batsman in test history, Sir Donald Bradman, come back from a 2-0 series deficit to win the third test. They went on to win the next two - the only comeback from 2-0 in Ashes history.
              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

^ 91,000! Is that one of the largest venues in Australia?

Comment

It's the largest. It held 121,000 back in the 70's for an Aussie Rules game, but since some redevelopments and law changes 91,000 would be as close as it gets to capacity these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                    It's the largest. It held 121,000 back in the 70's for an Aussie Rules game, but since some redevelopments and law changes 91,000 would be as close as it gets to capacity these days.
                    "Standing Room Only," or "festival seating," has been banned in Australia?

Comment

Probaly has to do with evacustion time.
                      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Yeah I got there early, my dad tagged along and he hates being late. We had 70,000 there that day.
                        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                        Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

Yep, the largest. Apparently 10th in the world, though obviously it can't compete with your fine country, which has 'Beaver Stadium'.

Got just over 100,000 to the Aussie Rules Grand Final a few months ago

There is still standing room, but not much. I suspect that the seated capacity is around 95,000. The Adelaide Oval still has a grassed hill where people can sit or stand.

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                            Got just over 100,000 to the Aussie Rules Grand Final a few months ago.
                            They did? That's impressive. I thought that since the Southern Stand redevelopment in the '90's that the days of six figure crowds were over. Maybe it was the seating I was thinking of.

Comment

I hear it can hold 100,000

Comment

They did? That's impressive. I thought that since the Southern Stand redevelopment in the '90's that the days of six figure crowds were over. Maybe it was the seating I was thinking of.
                                No, you were right. Until they built the new Ponsford/Members/Olympic stand on the other side of the ground the new Southern Stand had killed off the 100,000 plus crowd. There were a few in the mid-80s, but then a gap until the new stand. I think it has a greater capacity than the jumble of old stands that used to be there. It is noticeably larger than the Southern Stand too.

This link doesn't have the 2013 GF crowd, but it topped 100,000...just.

http://www.mcg.org.au/~/media/Files/...es_VFL_AFL.pdf

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• BorderRuffian
                                  Polls that oversample Democrats
                                  by BorderRuffian
                                  Economist/YouGov poll of July 26-28, 2020, has Biden leading Trump by 49-40

Sample size-1500

Party ID
                                  Democrat-521 (35%)...
                                  Today, 08:44
                                • casanova
                                  Robi P.
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                  Today, 02:27
                                • casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                  Today, 00:47
                                Working...
                                X