Australia has Regained the Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
    He was a second away from being pushed. The 'head up the bum' comment is interesting, and not something the English team needs right now. Save the post mortem for when the series is done and the team is home IMO.

Not that I disagree, or really want him to shut up, but we've all seen it from our side of the fence and know how much damage an internal fight played out in the media can be.
    From what I hear that's a bit rich coming from him but he must be talking about Pietersen, has to be.. His ego has cost us big time. There was no reason we couldn't have batted on those wickets, none at all. Complacency and a dose of I'm going to show you attitude. You can't keep slogging over the top into the wind or cutting it where Clarke placed two catchers just for him. He has played some outrageous innings over the years but I think he's chucked his wicket away more often than that.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
      From what I hear that's a bit rich coming from him but he must be talking about Pietersen, has to be.. His ego has cost us big time. There was no reason we couldn't have batted on those wickets, none at all. Complacency and a dose of I'm going to show you attitude. You can't keep slogging over the top into the wind or cutting it where Clarke placed two catchers just for him. He has played some outrageous innings over the years but I think he's chucked his wicket away more often than that.
      Yeah, that's how I saw it. KP is a talent but his ego has outstripped what he has to offer. Seems like the era is over for the English team. We're not that good (I reckon we are short three batsmen for starters - Rogers, Watson and Bailey are riding coattails) but your mob have just fallen apart.

Time to cut the deadwood and the egos and rebuild.
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Yeah, that's how I saw it. KP is a talent but his ego has outstripped what he has to offer. Seems like the era is over for the English team. We're not that good (I reckon we are short three batsmen for starters - Rogers, Watson and Bailey are riding coattails) but your mob have just fallen apart.

But who saw it coming ? After the Ashes series in England less than a year ago personally I didn't give much for Australia's chances, certainly not the whitewash that now appears to be likely.
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
          But who saw it coming ? After the Ashes series in England less than a year ago personally I didn't give much for Australia's chances, certainly not the whitewash that now appears to be likely.
          Not me. I thought a 1-1 result with a couple of draws most likely. Didn't rate MJ, and I'm still surprised when he bowls an over without a couple of half volley gimmies.

England falling apart at the Gabba surprised everyone, I think. It was a body blow that exposed some big cracks that had been wall papered over.

But - to be fair to the Old Enemy - it happens with sporting teams. Cricket, Footy, or even that poofy rounders the Yanks play are all subject to the same deals. Good teams are carried by 3 or 4 greats and a bunch of blokes that play a role. Once the greats drop off by 10 or so %, or retire, or get injured, then the role players are left to fill mighty big shoes. We saw it with Warne, McGrath, Hayden and Ponting. We saw it with Chappell, Lillee, Marsh. Some times it happens quickly and there isn't much you can do but ride it out as the next gen grows up.

Comment

I'm not too pessimistic. Cooke is a class act whose off form. Bell needs to go to number 3. Root is a good lad and Stokes I like a lot. Swann is a loss but Tremlett, Broad, Anderson are top class. Cooke needs to put some fire up their asses. This series is over but these two test are massive to turning the ship around...

As to whether we saw it coming. I wasn't nearly as confident about this series as some. I went to Old Trafford. We got lucky with the weather and I didn't thin we batted well at all throughout the series really. Our bowlers were on it though. That team should have been changed after the summer, the decline was there to see. You were just poorer than us, if not a bit unlucky. In fact you should have won at least one test. Wish you had, would have created change and maybe averted this debacle.
            Last edited by copenhagen; 23 Dec 13, 05:45.

Comment

I agree that we are not the best team in the world and agree with the 2 choices of batsman you have there the third one Watson I think he whould be batting at number 5 or 6 he did a great job as an opener when Australia was in strife in that area of the batting line up. I would like to see young Hughs back into the team at first drop I still don't understand why he was dropped he wasn't doing that bad and believe he was one of the better Australian batters in the English summer if I am not mistaken. For who we get as an opener is a big question I can not think of anyone in Australian domestic cricket that could nail a place down batting with a lunatic twerp.
              http://g.bf3stats.com/pc/1LP76r6C/melba_101.png

Comment

I thought we were screwed I was almost not going to watch a ball of any of the matches this summer that ended after day 1 with Haddin and Johnson's counter attack at the Gabba.

Comment

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
                  I thought we were screwed I was almost not going to watch a ball of any of the matches this summer that ended after day 1 with Haddin and Johnson's counter attack at the Gabba.
                  I don't know why you though that to be honest. The signs were there in the summer...

Comment

Is it just me or is Nathan Lyon really not our best option in as a spinner and I find it really annoying the Steve Smith doesn't bowl as much as he should if he works a bit more on his placements he could be a dangerouse Leg Spinner because boy did he spin that rock a fair bit in the couple overs this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                      I don't know why you though that to be honest. The signs were there in the summer...
                      Well I have every confidence in our fast bowlers we have to have the best bowlers and upcomming fast bowlers in the world but our batsman are pretty weak. The twerp Warner is a hit and miss player, Rogers is to old and we should have a younger player in his position, Watson is to high up in the batting order, M Clarke we seem to rely on him every time the top order fails, Smith is still trying to prove himself but I like him as a player, Bailey is ODI player and thought was a bad move to select him, Haddin has played very well and can not complain about him and the Bowlers they are doing well as a tail but we can't have to much pressure on them to make runs.

Comment

Originally posted by 150935 View Post
                        Is it just me or is Nathan Lyon really not our best option in as a spinner and I find it really annoying the Steve Smith doesn't bowl as much as he should if he works a bit more on his placements he could be a dangerouse Leg Spinner because boy did he spin that rock a fair bit in the couple overs this summer.
                        Smith is a young 'un that looks like he will make a very capable bat. But he's a part timer with the ball at best. If you want to claim a spot as a spinner, then spinning the thing helps. But spin on it's own is useless. Flight, drift and deception make a good spinner. Causing a batsmen to play for the wrong line or length gets them in trouble, and then the spin becomes a factor in getting them out*. He's not a threat to Lyon, even if Lyon is just a good, ordinary bowler. But Smith is capable enough to burn up overs when the quicks need a rest, or when the over-rate is lagging.

Look at Warne. He killed them in the air. The spin was just kicking the corpse.
                        Last edited by Rojik; 24 Dec 13, 00:32.

Comment

So will I, The forecast is for temperature in the low 30's ,so it could be worse.
                          Hope you get a good seat, I'll be there around 9:30... settle in early and relax for the day.
                          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                          Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                            Hope you get a good seat, I'll be there around 9:30... settle in early and relax for the day.
                            Yes, it's all looking good with a forecast temperature of 29 degrees. Ideal !
                            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Here I am!!!
                              Attached Files
                              "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                              Ernest Hemingway.

Sapere aude.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                                Here I am!!!
                                Looks an awesome place. A bit better for us today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• BorderRuffian
                                  Polls that oversample Democrats
                                  by BorderRuffian
                                  Economist/YouGov poll of July 26-28, 2020, has Biden leading Trump by 49-40

Sample size-1500

Party ID
                                  Democrat-521 (35%)...
                                  Today, 08:44
                                • casanova
                                  Robi P.
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                  Today, 02:27
                                • casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                  Today, 00:47
                                Working...
                                X