Don Shula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Shula

Great reading for a Saturday: an article by my favorite sportswriter (Joe Posnanski) about my favorite football team and its greatest coach. Link:
    Don Shula just got the job done for Miami

Here's a snip:

If you are of a certain age, then these little Dolphins facts will make you feel impossibly old: The Miami Dolphins have not won a Super Bowl in 40 years. Forty. They have not BEEN to a Super Bowl in almost 30. The Dolphins have reached the playoffs just once in the last 11 seasons and have not reached even an AFC Championship Game in more than a quarter century.

To someone who grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, these numbers make no sense at all. Thatís because if you grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, you grew up when the Miami Dolphins were ALWAYS good. They were as overwhelming and everpresent as disco and Ronald Reagan, Pacman and bellbottoms, gas lines and The Cosby Show, Farrah Fawcett posters and Luke Skywalker.

The Dolphins didnít always win Super Bowls like the Steelers did or the 49ers did. They did not have a dominant theme like the Americaís Team Cowboys or the Bad Boy Raiders. You could not even say those Dolphins had a consistent style. The Steelers slammed you with great defense. The Cowboys came from behind. The 49ers punctured teams with a blizzard of short passes. The Raiders played dirty and threw the deep ball.

The Dolphins? Well, for a long time they won with a plodding running game and a no-name defense. Then for a while there they had a running quarterback and a defense that bent, but did not break. Then they won with the highest flying passing attack the game had ever seen. The Dolphins were, well, whatever they were -- it was different all the time.

No, the Dolphins only enduring theme was this: They Ö won Ö every Ö year.

And it was a man from this little town in Ohio who made it so.
    Check it out if you're a football fan.

I was never a Shula fan, and don't know that he was the best coach ever. But I certainly have him on my short list. I enjoyed the article very much.

Regards,
    Dennis
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I like and respect Shula. Who else had a team like the 1972 Dolphins???
      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Remembering the 1970's.... Monday nights before Monday Night Football... the Don Shula Show hosted by Roy Firestone. Betcha Ibis remembers.

Comment

I think the Dolphin QB, Bob Griese was underrated. He was almost blind in one eye and then it strengthened in his 30's and he had to learn to do things all over again. I liked to watch Larry Czonka run. He is the only Running Back I have ever seen get flagged for hitting a guy on the head with his fist! The Defensive Back went down like a steer in a slaughter house. Jim Kick the Halfback was great at catching passes out of the backfield. They once posed for a picture as Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X